Rate Richards Joshua C MD

Cleanliness
Facilities
Services
Value

I’m 67 and my hand is collapsing. I can’t open a jar or hold on to anything heavy. I went to Dr. Richards at Webster Orthopedic looking for hope. Though the wait was long due to flu season among the Webster staff, they were all very sweet and patient with those of us who lacked that trait. The doctors assistant showed me into a room, took the necessary data and off I went to Ex Ray, of both hands! They were great. It didn’t take long to meet the charming Dr. Richards. He spent at least 15 minutes with me explaining (essentially that I was old though in a very nice way) I had arthritis in both hands and the only treatment was protheses to relieve pain or surgery causing a great deal of pain and a year of recovery (not). So this is a very positive review, right? Not quite. Dr. Richards said I could purchase a prothesis from his office for $20. I’m familiar with the prothesis they use as a result of my own research prior to my appointment. The one his office promotes costs $35 on the internet. So I agreed to take one. My bill for the protheses was $270. My cost after my insurance coverage paid their share was $166. I was stunned to say the least. I went back to the office immediately and spoke to Dr. Richard’s nurse. She said she would discuss it with Dr. Richards and get back to me. I received a revised invoice showing $5 due and was happy. Three weeks later I received another revised invoice for $188. I called the office and was told to disregard; they would get back to me. They did with a dunning notice for $188. Though I have high regard for the medical services provided by this doctor and practice, I strongly advise against agreeing to purchase anything directly from them without researching competitive costs on your own.

flag | Submitted October 4, 2017