Verdugo Hills Hospital

Cleanliness
Facilities
Services
Value

This is quite frankly the worst hospital experience I have EVER had with any hospital in the Southern California area. I was horrified at the level of care that was provided to my father. If you read no further simply avoid this hospital at all costs. There are many other quality hospitals in this area that will serve you and your family at a much higher level than what USC Verdugo Hills Hospital is capable of providing. I have had many good and even stellar experiences elsewhere--through the brain surgery of my husband and the stroke care of my mother. If I could give this hospital NO STARS I would, due to its out-dated and broken-down facilities, administrative staff, and most importantly-- it's poor patient care. Our experience was that the nursing staff was very limited during the day, making them difficult to find when needed and non-existent (or didn't speak English as their primary language) at night, making it impossible for the patient to communicate their medical needs, and be understood. I personally never witnessed the nursing staff demonstrate empathy to patient or family requests. And when my father was at a pain level of 9 during the majority of his more than a week's stay here, the nursing staff moved at the speed of cold molasses, disappearing for unusually long periods of time into some black hole, and when they did return they made entering information into the computer priority #1 before administering the needed pain medication to make the patient comfortable, this causing much unnecessary suffering. The key here being that their job is to stay ahead of the pain. This was not accomplished by the nursing staff during the entirety of my father's hospitalization. There was a genuine lack of attentiveness, no sense of urgency, slow reaction times to respond to requests for pain suppression and meeting patient general needs. Since the hospital was ill-equipped to manage patient care adequately it became necessary for the family to coordinate support coverage in shifts to ensure that a patient advocate was on-site at all times. Had this not been done, I'm not convinced that I would have my father alive today. Even with calls to the Administrative Director to complain about the poor patient care my plea for help was met with a consistent lack of empathy with no actions taken to correct the situation. Her inadequate and sterile words were "Please be patient with us. We are understaffed right now. We are held to state law around inputting data into the computer and we understand that process may be getting in the way of better patient care." To my knowledge, no one from the administrative staff ever physically visited my father during his stay at their facility to see if there was anything they could do to remedy the issues we were experiencing. 1/28/16 Response to Leonard K. of USC Verdugo Hills Hospital Your canned response is laughable. I am skeptical that USC Verdugo Hills Hospital is sorry or concerned about my family's experience at this facility. Had the Patient Relations Department actually been concerned, there would have been actions taken at the time the plea was directed to the hospital administration--privately--within the walls of the hospital. Now that this information is in the public's hands you will have to decide for yourselves if you wish to put your lives and those of your loved ones in the hands of an administration that does not make patient care a #1 priority. Until you, USC VHH, change your internal policies on patient care you will continue to receive poor patient care reviews. I have no interest in speaking to a representative of USC VHH. And as far as my family and I are concerned, this hospital no longer exists. And for us, when quality patient care is needed, we will go to other better qualified hospitals in the area.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2016

Doctors at Verdugo Hills Hospital

Dr. Craig E. Moritz

Dr. Craig E. Moritz

1 review

Latest Rating

Doesn't know what he's talking about. Unprofessional. Staff in the room are loud and rude.