Warning: These 8 Common Garden Flowers Are Poisonous

Warning: These 8 Common Garden Flowers Are Poisonous

Flowers can really light up a room-maybe that’s why it’s so easy to be suckered into buying that beautiful fresh spring bouquet at the grocery store when, really, all you came in for was butter.

But many of the flowers about to blossom in gardens this spring, or already in bloom, are beautiful but poisonous. Yes, if you really wanted to do your nasty neighbor in once and for all, all you need to do is slip some foliage into a pretty pie and voila.

Not looking for trouble? Here are five common garden flowers that are beautiful but pack a punch. If you’ve got curious pets and kids, be on the lookout for these.

What should you do if they are ingested? If they’re showing symptoms of distress, call 911 and get your child to the nearest hospital as soon as possible. Remember to bring a sprig of the plant they just ingested: this will help the hospital staff to apply the right treatment.

Check it out:

1) Oleander

oleander-pink_bunch_buds

www.mysilversands.com

All parts of this plant are poisonous to animals and humans. Once ingested, this plant can affect the ears, nose, mouth, throat, gastrointestinal system, heart and nervous system.

Symptoms can include blurred vision, nausea, loss of appetite, vomiting, depression and disorientation to name a few. A victim can also develop a rash or hives on their skin. Death is unlikely, but can happen with repeated exposure.

2) Purple Night Shade

purple-night-shade-flower

 pixhder.com

The leaves and berries of this plant are said to be extremely toxic. Surprisingly, it’s actually part of the tomato family and is native to Europe, North Africa, and Western Asia, and has been naturalized in North America. Eating it can cause hallucinations.

According to online sources, ingesting only about 2 to 5 Purple Night Shade berries can prove lethal for an adult human. Cows and rabbits have no problem eating it, but don’t follow their lead.

Symptoms can include slurred speech, and extremely dry mouth, constipation, delirium and confusion.

3) Mountain Laurel

Kalmia_Latifolia

en.wikipedia.org

Native to the eastern United States, Mountain Laurel is poisonous to humans and some animals. All parts of the plant are poisonous and symptoms are said to wait in hiding for about six hours before surfacing.

They include a wide variety of problems including irregular difficulty breathing, profuse salivation, watering of the eyes and nose, cardiac distress, incoordination, depression, and vomiting. Eventual paralysis, coma and death are possible but unlikely.

3) Water Hemlock

wfshl-waterhemlock-01a

www.all-creatures.org

Known as the most poisonous plants in North America, a mouthful of Water Hemlock can kill an adult human. This stuff is heavy duty- beware.

Symptoms are said to be characterized by generalized seizures, vomiting, confusion, weakness and abdominal pain among others.

Onset of the symptoms of poison can be as quick as 15 minutes after ingestion. The seizures can last 24 to 48 hours of poisoning, and some may linger for up to 96 hours. Getting the symptoms to go away completely can actually take months. Just be glad you’re alive.

4) Poet’s Daffodil

Narcissus-poeticus-Pheasants-Eye-Daffodil3

worldoffloweringplants.comil

This plant can cause a lot of vomiting, if ingested. People mistaking the bulbs for onions are easy targets for some complications, but this plant is more of an irritant, and not known as being highly deadly.

5) Hydrangea

Mchenry

www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com

They’re big and beautiful but these blossoms will cause a bad stomachache, itchy skin, vomiting, weakness and sweating. Not a great addition to the sauce.

While these are a few of the poisonous plants out there, don’t take this as the whole list or official, unmovaeable knowledge of the plant world.

Always call poison control if in doubt and get yourself to the nearest doctor or hospital.

Take care and happy gardening!

 

 

Facebook Comments