As food experiences become more synonymous with travel, adventurous foodies are spending more time researching what they’ll be eating as much as where they’ll be eating.
To follow the trend, TripAdvisor ranked the top food cities in the world, or the tourist spots where local cuisine is their calling card.
Unsurprisingly, Rome took the number one spot, with its Italian cousin Florence, coming a close second. Paris ranked third, with Barcelona and New Orleans rounding out the top five. The official list includes each city’s most popular food experience; in Rome, that was a food tour of the Prati district; in Florence, it was a cooking class and market tour at a Tuscan farmhouse.
“Travelers are increasingly interested in getting local insight on their destination, and food tours and cooking classes a great way to do that,” said TripAdvisor spokesperson Laurel Greatrix, in a statement announcing the list. “Guides can be a great resource for finding hidden gems or local favorite spots, and can create an unforgettable part of your trip. Coming home with a local recipe or a new favorite restaurant is the best souvenir.”
Hungry yet? Check out the best food experiences ranked based on TripAdvisor’s algorithm that accounted for “bookings, traveler reviews, and traveler ratings”:
- Rome (Rome Food Tour by Sunset around Prati District)
- Florence (Cooking Class and Lunch at a Tuscan Farmhouse with Local Market Tour from Florence)
- Paris (Paris Food Tour: Taste of Montmartre)
- Barcelona (Interactive Spanish Cooking Experience in Barcelona)
- New Orleans (New Orleans Food Walking Tour of the French Quarter)
- New York City (Best of Brooklyn Half-Day Food and Culture Tour)
- Venice (Venice Food Tour: Cicchetti and Wine)
Photo Credit: Alexander Mazurkevich/Shutterstock.com; ventdusud/Shutterstock.com