A recent report on NBCNewYork.com has confirmed that norovirus caused at least 65 Boston College students and non-students who ate at a Chipotle in Boston to fall sick with norovirus.
According to Boston Public Health officials, this number is constantly evolving.
This news comes as a whammy to the popular Tex-Mex chain, as Chipotle was in the news earlier this year in connection with a multi-state E coli outbreak connected to its restaurants.
Why, oh why does it need to come with norovirus and E.coli on the side?
Chipotle needs to have some better practices towards their employees, it seems.
The E. coli outbreak was linked to a former employee with dirty hands, and now the Boston Inspectional Services department is connecting the current illness outbreak to another worker.
Apparently, an employee at the Chipotle restaurant in Cleveland Circle was sick while working a shift last Thursday and passed on their sickness.
William Christopher, the department’s commissioner, said it was not currently known if management at the restaurant was aware of the employee’s symptoms, while he or she was working.
The sort-of-good news is that the offending restaurant’s permit to operate has been suspended by the city of Boston and everyone has begun washing tables down with Clorox (or something more powerful), to make sure a thorough disinfection process takes place, top to bottom. From the lights to the floor tiles.
And the restaurant is doing time in the bad chair and has been cited with three health violations: allowing a sick employee to work, failing to provide proper hot holding temperatures for chicken and steak and multiple reports of food borne illness.
There are currently no other reports of illness at other Chipotle restaurants in Boston.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, infected workers cause about 70 percent of reported norovirus outbreaks from contaminated food. Oh, workers.
Each year, norovirus causes 19 million to 21 million illnesses.
I’ll have some nachos please on the side, with that trip to the bathroom. Hope everyone in Boston gets well soon.