by Victoria Simpson
It’s fall. The heat wave has finally broken in the city, and while it may still be raging on in other parts, everyone is back to school, traffic is heavy and that sun is setting sooner in a cooler sky. It’s time for pumpkin drinks that pack a punch!
Pumpkin by itself comes with some great health benefits including weight-loss, improved vision, and younger-looking skin. These 6 amazing recipes from Yummly.com are guaranteed to expose you to some of these pluses, as well as set you up as the host with the most this weekend, and get you practicing for October’s party time with success.
Grab your cocktail shaker, ice, liqueurs, and start the show.
- 2 cups apple cider
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 5 whole clove
- 1/2 cup pumpkin purée (canned pure)
- 1 oz white rum
Ok- take your cider and simmer it on the stove with 1 cinnamon stick and the cloves for 5 minutes. Get your pumpkin ready and whisk it in. When fully mixed, strain the pumpkin meat out, add your rum and serve with cinnamon sticks. Yum!
Spiked Pumpkin Latte
- 4 ozs strong black coffee (prepared)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg (divided)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 oz light cream
- 1 oz schnapps (Butterscotch)
For this recipe, brew a pot of coffee and sprinkle 1/8 tsp of nutmeg and 1/4 tsp of cinnamon onto the bottom of a mug. Add the coffee to the mug, stirring in light cream. Add butterscotch schnapps and top with the remaining nutmeg. Dollop whipped cream on top, if desired, et voila.
- 1/2 ounce cream liqueur
- 2 ounces vanilla vodka
- 1/2 ounce pumpkin liqueur or pumpkin spice syrup
- 1 tsp whipped cream (optional)
- Cinnamon stick for garnish
Fill a cocktail shaker with ice, add the cream liqueur and vodka, and shake well. Add the pumpkin liqueur or syrup. Shake it all again, to mix things thoroughly, and strain the liquid into a chilled cocktail glass. Top with a teaspoon of whipped cream and garnish with a cinnamon stick.
Pumpkin Irish Cream
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups Irish whiskey
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
A favorite. Combine all the ingredients listed above in a blender, and blend until smooth. Pour in glasses and drink immediately, or store refrigerated in an airtight contain for up to 2 weeks.
Pumpkin Pie Kahlua Cocktail
- 1 oz kahlua (Pumpkin Spice)
- 1 oz whipped cream (Flavored Vodka, substitute vanilla vodka if you can’t find Whipped)
- 1 tbsp pumpkin purée
- 2/3 cup milk (or Dairy Free Milk, depending on personal preference, I used unsweetened unflavored almond milk)
- pumpkin pie spice (for garnish)
Measure liquors, and combine with a few ice cubes into a martini shaker. Shake it well! Pour into a glass and garnish with a pinch of pumpkin pie spice.
- 1 oz cognac
- 1/2 oz Grand Marnier
- 11/2 ozs orange juice (fresh squeezed, about ½ orange)
- 1/2 oz ginger ale
- lime twists
- orange wheels
Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker. Shake well and strain into an ice-filled glass. Garnish with slices of orange or lime, to decorate, and make the top of the jack-o-lantern.