Dr. Kim J. Burchiel

Grad. Year: 1976

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Rating: 3.4 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 9 reviews. Dr. Kim J. Burchiel has a fair overall rating on RateMDs.com. neutral

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Neurosurgeon-related: nervous system, cervical and lumbar spine problems, brain tumors, neurovascular problems, peripheral nerve problems, neurological surgery, brain and spinal cord tumors, skull-base surgery, brachytherapy, aneurysm surgery, epilepsy surgery, neurological surgery
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 5217311

01/03/14 5 4 1 3 Dr. Kim Burchiel Crushed my moms skull and OSU feels the need to proceed to send bills for his damage on her. I would not recommend this doctor because of the experience and pain my mom has gone through these past 6 years. Thanks Burchiel. Still malpractice even though she never finished the lawsuit.  Respond
RID: 3653019
10/01/14 5 5 5 5 I was referred to Dr. Burchiel from my neurologist for Trigeminal Neuralgia pain. I found Dr. Burchiel to be extremely knowledgeable and gave me all of my options and went through all of the complications to having MVD surgery. I am extremely grateful for him and his entire team who saved my life with dealing with uncontrollable facial pain. He spent appropriate amount of time with me and I felt that I was in great hands right away. After waking up from surgery I had absolutely no pain from Trigeminal Neuralgia and was out of the hospital in 4 days and have been enjoying my life again. I can not thank him and his staff enough for saving my life. I would hands down refer anyone to him. A very skilled surgeon and top notch in my book.
Insurance: Medicare
Respond

20/10/13 SYSTEM: First Name changed from "Kim" to "Kim J."
RID: 2552711
06/02/13 5 5 5 5 He was very honest about what is known about my condition versus what is unknown at this time, and seemed to have a genuine interest in investigating further to find more answers. He also gave a good explanation of the possible risks and rewards for different management strategies. From previous ratings, it appears several patients weren't thrilled with his bedside manner, but I thought he was excellent. He spoke to me in a scientific/investigative (sort of like a detective) tone and refrained from displaying positive or negative emotions. I would think that this is a characteristic that every patient would want to see in their doctor; someone who sticks to the facts and uses the visitation time as efficiently as possible in an attempt to move towards a proper diagnosis. Dr. Burchiel also spent a significant amount of time with me in order to perform physical assessments, ask about my symptoms, review MRIs and other test results, answer questions, and give recommendations.
Insurance: Aetna
RID: 2445934
13/10/12 3 1 1 4 Aloof, condescending. I was referred to him by another OHSU doc. Burchiel told me that "it just isn't worth my time." What an unbelievably terrible encounter with an inconsiderate boob.
Insurance: Providence
RID: 1420486
19/04/11 5 5 5 5 Very good and helpfull with any and all questions.  Respond
RID: 780462
03/02/09 4 1 1 1 I was referred to him and told I needed surgery right away by a Neurologist at OHSU. He came in the room and with his arms crossed asked me why I was there. He told me my referral to him was a waste of his time and, after ranting about the many "quacks out there" who treat my condition and accusing me of diagnosing myself (I had not heard of the condition till I was diagnosed at OHSU), he did not provide any follow up care or advice. No bedside manner, extremely condenscending, egotistical. His attending came in the room after he left and apologized for his behavior and rants and highly recommended another opinion.
Insurance: Medicare
RID: 493138
24/01/08 5 5 5 5 Dr. Burchiel was extremely helpful in providing expert advice that was relevant to my condition. He did not assume that surgery was the only option available to treat my condition and referred me to a neurologist for alternative therapy. After nine years, I returned to Dr. Burchiel for surgery with very excellent results.
Insurance: Blue Cross / Blue Shield
RID: 394114
29/08/07 5 1 1 1 uncaring about patient works for insur co. Not a honest person  Respond
RID: 291852
21/04/07 2 4 5 Not much of a personality, but he knows what he is doing and did an awesome job. I had epilepsy from when I was a baby, and was having 5-10 complex partial seizures a month. 2 1/2 years ago at the age of 29 I had an amydalohippocampectomy and haven't had a seizure since. He did exactly what I went there to do, to become seizure free. Was not punctual at all, does not show much empathy, but is a sharp and knowledgable man and got the job done.
Insurance: Pacificare