Rate Dr. James Powell

Dr. James Powell's Ratings

Honestly confused about all the positive ratings. Dr. Powell was very rude during my care under him. I had hip surgery to fix a deformity and have had hip pain ever since my surgery. I told him about my pain at my 6 month check up and he told me that my x-rays look fine and that there isn't anything he can do. Not to mention he was at least 2 hours late each time I saw him. I understand specialists are busy but thats just a little bit absurd. As some other people have mentioned, the only good thing about seeing Dr. Powell is his nurse Colleen who was beyond helpful.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2583910].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 18, 2014

Dr Powell is an amazing surgeon. He repaired my hip very successfully without doing a replacement like others suggested. He knows what to do in unusual situations and has wonderful bedside manner. I wish all Dr's were more like him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2547420].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 23, 2014

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2486188].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 7, 2014

Dr. Powell has done a left and right THR for me. There are times you will wait well beyond your appointment time to see him but he is worth it. The only downfall to this is his office is downtown and parking is a premium. He is an excellent surgeon. After having complications with my second replacement he has been great to continue follow up care. One of the greatest assets to Dr. Powell's office is his nurse Colleen. She provides exceptional care and always makes time for the patients regardless of the huge case load. Jeanette is always friendly and professional when booking follow up appointments. Overall, if you require a competent, skilled Orthopedic Surgeon, do not hesitate to be referred to Dr. Powell.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1157768].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 13, 2013

Great Doctor repaired my smashed acetabulum to the point I can still ski down Delirium Dive and play tennis. Handled my panicked parents very well as well.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1157767].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 4, 2013

Excellent doctor. Quirky bedside manner, but I kinda like that. He fixed my ankle with no problems at all and now I wouldn't even know it had been full of screws, pins and plates at one time. And I have to mention how great his staff are, especially Colleen. You read so many bad reviews here about bad support staff but Colleen was so helpful, friendly and caring and always there when I had a question or concern. Great team here. Dr. Powell even fixed the hip of a friend of mine and he is equally impressed. My only complaint is I didn't get all the information for aftercare / follow-up when I left the hospital - but one phone call to Colleen and I had all the answers I needed - it just would have been nice to leave the hospital with that info. Now if someone could just do something about the freezing cold waiting room they make you sit in for hours before the surgery... but that's nit picking...

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1157766].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 14, 2012

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1157769].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 26, 2012

In a word - "Outstanding". Simply put, he gave me my life back!!! He and his staff kept me informed and were extremely helpful at all steps of the procedure. It has been 5 years since he replaced my hip and words cannot describe how grateful I am and how helpful he has been.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1157765].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 12, 2011

Dr.Powell and his staff were amazing. When the Burmingham procedure was unsuccessful, he consulted the doctor that helped design it to see wat could be the problem. Once it was determined that it could not be resolved by simply replacing it, he had a date for a complete hip replacement immediately. Both surgeries went extremely well otherwise. His staff were on top of everything regarding pre-op tests and making sure all of my questions were answered. The care I received from Dr.Powell and his staff was nothing short of exemplary. I have moved 300 kilomters away from Calgary and I will need to have surgery on the other hip in the not too distant future. I will travel back to have Dr.Powell perform the surgery if I can get him. Great Doctor and great staff!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1157764].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 6, 2011

Drs Powell and Kiefer came as a God-sent and saved my son's hip. 14 months ago we were facing a real risk of a hip fusion, after a severe SCFE injury and 4 unsuccessful attempts to stabilize the hip. In July 2010, the Powell / Kiefer team performed a hi-tech 5 hour procedure, in which they did a surgical dislocation and an osteotomy with excellent results. Today my son's hip is well healed and pain free, with no pain. He can run, walk, longboard and ski! They are top notch both from a technical skills and bed side manner perspective!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1157763].votes_count ]]