Rate Dr. James Powell

Dr. James Powell's Ratings

Submitted Aug. 7, 2014 | flag

Dr. Powell has done a left and right THR for me. There are times you will wait well beyond your appointment time to see him but he is worth it. The only downfall to this is his office is downtown and parking is a premium. He is an excellent surgeon. After having complications with my second replacement he has been great to continue follow up care. One of the greatest assets to Dr. Powell's office is his nurse Colleen. She provides exceptional care and always makes time for the patients regardless of the huge case load. Jeanette is always friendly and professional when booking follow up appointments. Overall, if you require a competent, skilled Orthopedic Surgeon, do not hesitate to be referred to Dr. Powell.

Submitted April 13, 2013 | flag

Great Doctor repaired my smashed acetabulum to the point I can still ski down Delirium Dive and play tennis. Handled my panicked parents very well as well.

Submitted April 4, 2013 | flag

Excellent doctor. Quirky bedside manner, but I kinda like that. He fixed my ankle with no problems at all and now I wouldn't even know it had been full of screws, pins and plates at one time. And I have to mention how great his staff are, especially Colleen. You read so many bad reviews here about bad support staff but Colleen was so helpful, friendly and caring and always there when I had a question or concern. Great team here. Dr. Powell even fixed the hip of a friend of mine and he is equally impressed. My only complaint is I didn't get all the information for aftercare / follow-up when I left the hospital - but one phone call to Colleen and I had all the answers I needed - it just would have been nice to leave the hospital with that info. Now if someone could just do something about the freezing cold waiting room they make you sit in for hours before the surgery... but that's nit picking...

Submitted Nov. 14, 2012 | flag

Submitted June 26, 2012 | flag

In a word - "Outstanding". Simply put, he gave me my life back!!! He and his staff kept me informed and were extremely helpful at all steps of the procedure. It has been 5 years since he replaced my hip and words cannot describe how grateful I am and how helpful he has been.

Submitted Oct. 12, 2011 | flag

Dr.Powell and his staff were amazing. When the Burmingham procedure was unsuccessful, he consulted the doctor that helped design it to see wat could be the problem. Once it was determined that it could not be resolved by simply replacing it, he had a date for a complete hip replacement immediately. Both surgeries went extremely well otherwise. His staff were on top of everything regarding pre-op tests and making sure all of my questions were answered. The care I received from Dr.Powell and his staff was nothing short of exemplary. I have moved 300 kilomters away from Calgary and I will need to have surgery on the other hip in the not too distant future. I will travel back to have Dr.Powell perform the surgery if I can get him. Great Doctor and great staff!

Submitted Oct. 6, 2011 | flag

Drs Powell and Kiefer came as a God-sent and saved my son's hip. 14 months ago we were facing a real risk of a hip fusion, after a severe SCFE injury and 4 unsuccessful attempts to stabilize the hip. In July 2010, the Powell / Kiefer team performed a hi-tech 5 hour procedure, in which they did a surgical dislocation and an osteotomy with excellent results. Today my son's hip is well healed and pain free, with no pain. He can run, walk, longboard and ski! They are top notch both from a technical skills and bed side manner perspective!

Submitted July 21, 2011 | flag

I have had several surgeries with Dr. Powell and never once have I had a problem with attitude, personality, professionalism or knowledge. It didn't matter whether it was WCB or not. He had great bedside manner, empathy and never made me do any action with my hips that I was uncomfortable with. Dr. James Powell and his staff were very professional and I wouldn't want to go under the knife with any other surgeon ever!

Submitted June 14, 2011 | flag

Dr. Powell usually sees people who have complicated issues or cases, so not the regular normal hip surgery cases. His risk runs higher than most surgeons. I had to wait 2 hrs. to see him, but knowing that it takes over 6months for orthopeadic surgery in Alberta, I had no problems waiting. He had high empathy, intelligent and great diagnoistic skills. I knew he could only access me with the information I was providing him. As for waiting, he had a trauma case, car accident before me, so I did not mine waiting if it were me. Responsibility is a two way street for your health!

Submitted March 26, 2011 | flag