Rate Dr. Dean M. Toriumi

Dr. Dean M. Toriumi's Ratings

The staff was great and the doctor was nice, but the result on my nose was not very good. It was okay, but needs alot of improvement still. For noses I don't think this is probably the best place. My nose is uneven and the profile is very ugly - it's scooped out with a bump between the eyes when I wanted a straight profile.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2517996].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 29, 2014

I consulted Dr Dean Toriumi 10 years ago. He was rude, mean, autocratic and seemingly disinterested. He tried to belittle me in front of his pupil. After much hesitation I decided to have surgery with him anyway because I mistook his arrogance for expertise. Following surgery my nose was extremely swollen and ugly. I was in profound shock. He offered no advice to deal with the swelling. The follow up meetings were a sick joke - with his tantrums and barely concealed condescension/disdain. Bully-boy tactics. I spent years avoiding mirrors and photographs.

After a minor closed revision from a different surgeon Dr Toriumi's very bulky/clunky tip cartilage was refined down a bit, but the tip continued to drop. A year ago Dr Toriumi finally agreed to revise his own work. It was a nightmare getting him to do it. He spent a year telling me that he was waiting for "permission" to operate when in truth he was deciding by himself if he could be bothered. After this revision of his own work and two more in office needle procedures, the bulky tip is improved a bit. But it's pinched on the dorsum and there is no tip cartilage in one side of my nose. As a result, I can't breathe properly and need to find a new revision surgeon.

My ear donor sites are a mess (painful to sleep on and aesthetically worse than pre-op). He has abandoned me, and in an extremely mean and condescending way. I was also the victim of a sadistic assault on the operating table by an agency nurse (in front of numerous staff witnesses who obviously all knew what they witnessed was a criminal assault) but my allegation was ignored by Dr Toriumi, his underlings and the surgical centre. I'm still trying to obtain copies of my records a year after requesting them, and Dr Toriumi and cronies are lying to the Office for Civil Rights about it.

Dr Toriumi has a questionable aesthetic sense; and a tendency to be sloppy, callous and unethical. Be warned.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2486330].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 7, 2014

18 yrs ago I was in a bad car accident that collapsed my nose and restricted my breathing. After 2 unsuccessful surgeries, I lost almost all cartridge in my nose which made my nose collapse even more & my breathing was further restricted to 10%. Headaches, difficulty sleeping, and nerve damage were present. After speaking with many other doctors which could not help, only 2 doctors could help. One doctor in California, and Dr. Dean Toriumi. Dr. Toriumi explained exactly how he would repair my nose by using rib cartridge. He ended up performing the surgery AT NO CHARGE! 7 & 1/2 hour surgery and the results were AMAZING! I have seen some negative reviews about Dr. Toriumi and I would just like to go on record and testify that he & his staff were outstanding, professional, and knowledgeable. Dr. Toriumi is soft spoken and many people may misunderstand his demeanor to be arrogant. I can say from my own experience that he is an incredibly caring, compassionate man & an AMAZING surgeon.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1167429].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 10, 2013

Years ago I had surgery to straighten the hump but wound up with a pug nose that looked "operated on." I disliked it but thought there was nothing I could do. The internet changed everything. I mailed my photo to a well-known Manhattan plastic surgeon and asked for advice. He recommended a rib implant by Dr. Toriumi and I took the advice. Dr. Toriumi reconstructed the tip and bridge using both ear and rib cartilage and it now looks like a nose again. He is a miracle worker and I will be forever grateful to him. Thank you, Dr. Toriumi, and thank you, Pat, Patty, Michelle and Janice!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1167428].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 25, 2013

Dr. Toriumi is a world renowned plastic surgeon recommended by the Cleveland clinic as the #1 choice for complex revision and post-traumatic rhinoplasty. In 2007, I asked several surgeons whose hand they would entrust their wives to for cosmetic surgery. They each named Dr. Toriumi. A previous facelift had left me with red raised braided scars in front of each earlobe. No surgeon was up to the task of revising my scars. Then Dr. T consulted with me, performed a scar revision & facelift. I HEALED WITH NO SCARS! Now in 2013, I have returned to Dr. T for a facelift & CO2 laser. My follow up appts are once/week to monitor the healing of CO2 laser and facelift.. my results are AMAZING for 6 wks. Dr. T is what you want in a physician - someone who cares, and is just as obsessed with your result as you are; the office staff including Pat Golden RN are wonderful and treat each patient like family. Dr. T takes time to answer every question with precision and honesty.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1167427].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 19, 2013

Dr. Toriumi put my medical needs above all cosmetic requests. Dr. Toriumi was adamant that my quality of life be first and foremost and the cosmetic aspect, while still important, is secondary. That said, the cosmetic requests I had were perfected to a "T". The computer version of what Dr. Toriumi created for me during our consultations (smoothing my bump and lifting and shrinking the bulbous tip) is exactly how I look today. I wanted to still recognize myself. I just wanted to improve the imperfections of my nose. Dr. Toriumi is just that….a perfectionist….a true artist. To trust your face to the hands of who was only months ago was a stranger is a very trying matter, but I had 100% confidence in Dr. Toriumi and his team and my nose today is proof he is a master of his work. My breathing is completely repaired and when I look in the mirror, I still look like me….just a better version. I would recommend Dr. Toriumi to anyone and will forever sing his praises.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1167426].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 3, 2013

Dr. Toriumi changed my life. I have alwasy been self conscious about my nose, which is the typical flat & short Asian nose. I went to see several plastic surgeons in my area about my nose. They all at first tried to persuade me to have them fix my nose, but after explaining to them that I had 2 nose jobs previously and was still unhappy with the results, and have been looking for the right dr. for almost 2 decades now to fix it, these drs. all referred me to Dr. Toriumi, someone so well respected among his colleagues. With additional research, I found out that Dr. T is internationally known and people flew in globally to get their noses done by him. I went on his website and after looking at his before & after pix, I was convince that he could deliver what i wanted. I had my nose done 2 months ago and i couldn't be more happy with the result. Finally, I am elated with my nose and feel so much more confidence about myself. My nose looks 100% better but still so natural looking.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1167425].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 7, 2012

Heres the deal I just had reconstruction of my entire nose with him. He will not go in depth with you during your consult so you must go in with a game plan of what you want. Other than that he will give you close to perfection what is humanly possible. The main problem is you are talking to an artist who will not dig the picture out of your mind, you must do that. He may come off a little standoffish but he is just a straightforward guy. I have a lot of respect for him. I dont know what my final outcome will be (because I am only few weeks post op) but i can tell you this my girlfriend told me when Dr. Toriumi came up to her after my surgery of 6 in a half hours he was dead tired and had given everything that he had, and to me thats all that truly matters in life.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1167424].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 2, 2012

HORRIFYING experience. I went to Dr. Toriumi for a revision rhinoplasty. He made me look like a freak--the worst decision I ever made was to trust this man with my face! I went from having a long nose with a pinched tip, caved-in bridge and retracted nostrils to having a too-high radix, too-high bridge, too-wide tip, flared, asymetric nostrils, lumps and odd indentations all the way down the right side, and a rock-hard nose that does not move naturally. He made me look masculine and severe, and I have been depressed ever since. When I brought up these issues with him, he completely blew me off, saying that HE was ecstatic with the results and that I need to see a shrink! Needless to say, one year later I'm shopping for someone to correct this over-grafted, ugly mess of a nose...HELP!!! :(

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1167432].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 20, 2011

I am very happy with all of my visits with Dr. Toriumi and the overall outcome from my surgery. His staff is so professional and courteous. I always felt welcomed upon my arrival and Dr. Toriumi always addressed my needs and concerns. I never felt rushed with our time together. I would definitely recommend Dr. Toriumi to anyone seeking rhinoplasty. He changed my life. I sincerely thank you.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1167423].votes_count ]]