Rate Dr. Joseph Kumpula

Dr. Joseph Kumpula's Ratings

After moving to Edmonton from another province, I needed to find a family physician to help continue my diagnostic process for my on-going health issues. After finding Dr. Kumpula I can say I have never met a more patient or through doctor. He is very kind, soft spoken and asks a lot of questions in which he seems genuinely interested. He never has just tried to hand me a piece of paper and get me out of the room. The downside of course is that he does work out of a medi-centre and therefore is often behind on appointments. But I would gladly wait a little longer for a good doctor then get right in to see a prescription pusher.

Submitted Sept. 5, 2014 | flag

I came in with an appointment for the Fastrack service (a new service where a nurse can help you and perscribe you medicine for simple ailments such as eye infections, ear infections, etc..) for what I thought was an eye infection, after a few questions from the nurse the Doctor was asked to examine my eye. He came in fairly quickly and examined me quickly as well, he was thorough though, and discovered it was a sinus infection and gave me a perscription for meds. I prefer fast service, I don't feel like talking to a Doctor for 20 minutes when I could be at home, with my perscription, in bed, getting better. So for those who prefer to talk to the Dr for a long time about their problems then this might not be your guy, but if you just want to get in and get out and go home then he is your guy!

Submitted July 8, 2014 | flag

The best Doctor I have ever been to! . Both my wife and I think he very kind and very patient . He is very helpful in all health related issues. He helped me get over my alcohol addiction !

Submitted Feb. 17, 2014 | flag

I walked into the office in panic as I was having my first allergic reaction to shellfish. I waited for two hours to see a doctor. Dr. Kumpula saw me for a total of 2 minutes in which half of that was to hand me a prescription paper. He looked at me as if I had Leprosy which made me feel worse about my hives from the allergy. All he did was tell me it likely was an allergy then listed a bunch of other conditions it could be. I walked out more stressed than I came in and I walked out with no knowledge about treatments for my allergic reaction or knowledge on the length of time that the hives would last. When I asked him if he could refer me to a doctor for allergy testing he said that this was not necessary and it wouldn't help. He didn't diagnose me or offer any further help. Will never go to this clinic again. Next time you see a distressed patient Dr. please be more sympathetic and don't treat the person like another number.

Submitted Feb. 6, 2014 | flag

I find Dr. Kumpula to be an excellent Doctor. He's looked into my medical past and worked with me to treat my condition. The one drawback I have is that his practice is at a Medicentre and they get a lot of drop-in patients. As a result you'll usually need to wait 30 minutes past a scheduled appointment time to get in (the waiting room is always packed). I heard of/and had far worse wait times in Edmonton, so 30 minutes isn't a deal breaker. That being said, once in, he takes the time with me to feel like it was worth going. I plan to keep seeing him based on the past experiences to date. Personable, pleasant and tells it like it is.

Submitted June 18, 2013 | flag

Dr. Kumpula is very pleasant and seems to hear your issues and seems knowledgeable. I was there as a new patient and my appt was for 3:00 and he didn't see me until 4:30. When I asked if it was common for him to be that late he said yes. I find this disrespectful, a patient's time is important too. I wonder how doctors in general would handle a situation for example when their dinner reservation was an hour and half late? Hmmmm. I also didn't feel that he is concerned with true patient care for the long term. He wasn't interested in asking about past health history or having my records sent from my out of province doctor. If you need a quick fix for minor ailments he is the go to guy but don't expect him to invest in your long-term care. Too bad because as a young doctor he could make a difference.

Submitted May 8, 2013 | flag

Excellent doctor. I had an underlying issue that had not be diagnosed, he took the time to explore my dietary and lifestyle options to help me deal with my condition. He even had a stack of research he did for me the next time I went to see him.

Submitted March 10, 2013 | flag

very knowlegable.went to him with life very setrious health problemn he knew what it was and got me help very quickly. very grewatfull he was my dr

Submitted Sept. 16, 2012 | flag

He did a 2 min analysis and just wanted me quickly out of there. He did not try to understand my problem and did not help me with the main reason I was there

Submitted Aug. 18, 2012 | flag

Dr. Kumpula is a very caring, kind and helpful doctor. I have seen him a few times now. He is always attentive to what I say and very knowledgeable.

Submitted July 23, 2012 | flag