Rate Dr. Michael Kogon

Dr. Michael Kogon's Ratings

If not for the latest events, I would probably not even bother rating Dr. Kogon. For the past couple of years my father was Dr. Kogon's patient and everything would have been fine if my father agreed to the surgery Dr. Kogon was suggesting. On the same appointment as my father, who is 75, declined the operation, Dr. Kogon removed tubes inserted into my father's kidneys with one stroke, simply yanking them out (which made my father almost faint from pain. The tubes are attached internally to kidneys through needles and tubes sticking out into external bags to drain kidneys). Only people that went through that would understand the frustration when you have to fight the doctor who cannot prove the disease but only going by assumptions. Another case was when my father’s kidneys started bleeding and he was admitted to McKenzie General hospital (in Richmond Hill). CT scan was done and my father was diagnosed with urinal canals’ cancer on the spot and kidneys tubes (again) were inserted to drain kidneys. A few days later my father was admitted to another hospital AGAIN (this is second time in 2 weeks). CT scan done AGAIN and my father was diagnosed with an acute case of appendicitis (situation would have been ironical, if it wasn’t sad). Not one urologist (surgeons, not less) assigned to my father, diagnosed him with anything close to this, or even suggested that, causing more pain than relief by inserting tubes and putting him through some very unpleasant moments of being diagnosed with urine canals’ cancer and very limited time to live (literally a couple of days at most). By the way, no biopsy was done to get any of the cancers confirmed (neither kidneys (which is not an option and we are aware of this) or urinal canals). I might not be a doctor or possess medical expertise, but I do know that it is highly unprofessional delivering unproven diagnosis to the patients and forcing patients into surgeries (parts of body removed) by any means. Have doctors forgotten about the Hippocratic Oath they’ve taken? Or life just became nothing but business for some people. Watching this definitely makes me want to stay away from any doctor possible in the future. Being narrow-minded is unacceptable for a surgeon of the virtue Dr. Kogon claims to be. He might be a fine specialist and a really good surgeon, but he does not succeed in attitude towards his patients who refuse to play along. I know this review won’t make much of a change, just wanted to share my opinion on some acclaimed specialists out there.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2619672].votes_count ]]

Submitted Nov. 14, 2014

Dr. Kogon, though young for his age, is extremely knowledgable, caring and shows tact. He takes the time to throughly explain everything and doesn't just rush you out like others. I sometimes have a difficult time getting through to the office by phone but when I do his staff is wonderful. His secretary Maria is one of the kindest I’ve ever dealt with, both her and her assistant are very accommodating and like the Dr, very thorough. He quickly diagnosed my problem and I have been seeing him for check-up visits for about 2 years now. I can honestly say that Dr. Kogon and his office are very organized and reliable. It’s one thing having a good Dr. but to be in good hands with the staff as well, provides an exceptional experience. I am grateful for his expertise and highly recommended him as a urologist.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2617169].votes_count ]]

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2493054].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 12, 2014

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2491777].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 11, 2014

Had bladder polyps removed on 3/24/14 by Dr. Michael Kogan at York Central Hospital/Mackenzie Health). (never had any symptoms but the bladder polyps were discovered from a routine trans-abdominal ultrasound recommended by my family Dr. Birbrager, kudos to him as well). Turned out to be superficial bladder cancer TaG1 with low probability of any long-term problems as long as I keep the follow-up appointments. Dr.Kogan was fantastic from the initial cystoscopy, to the surgery itself, to the follow-up appointment. He was patient, knowledgeable, superbly skilled, and answered all my questions. York Central/Mackenzie Health hospital was also excellent with very little waiting for the surgery as well as the pre-surgery tests/CT and the follow-up CT. The efficiency and technology of our medicare system seems to have come a long way if my experience is any indication.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2356014].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 9, 2014

Dr Kogan is knowledgeable and friendly but seems distracted even when you are in his office speaking to him. His office doesn't pick up the phone, follow up or return phone calls from voicemail. It is unsatisfactory to have to drive to his office simply to request follow up because the secretary is "running a busy office" and doesn't answer the phone. Her voicemail always says "I am running a busy office." If she can't handle the job then maybe she should stay home! The doctor usually takes the path of least resistance.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][378007].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 20, 2014

I think Dr. Kogan is very competent, caring and thorough. He appears to have a lot more experience than one would expect for his age. Communication with the office can be frustrating as technology is certainly lacking. Their phone system can leave you wondering if your message was ever left. One can get that his assistance Maria is terse, part of the reason is she is busy and attempts to do her best being efficient addressing the administration work that comes with the job.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][378006].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 14, 2014

One of a kind, nice and human. Young, very considerate, compassionate and very knowledgeable. Puts you at ease right from the start. Bless him and his staff esp. Maria who do their very best to so many who go for visits filled with anxiety. Best wishes always Dr. Kogon, Maria .. as the season, the holidays and the year closes in. Have a Happy and Wonderful New Year-2014. SC.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][378005].votes_count ]]