Rate Dr. Cathy Smyth

Dr. Cathy Smyth's Ratings

Dr. Cathy Smyth is an anesthesiologist in the Pain Clinic at the Ottawa Hospital, General Campus. She is extremely knowledgeable and very caring (which should be rated - it is perhaps the most important feature) and helpful. I suffer with CRPS, a very difficult condition to treat because beyond a very early point in time, very little can be done except try and manage the pain. She is willing to do as much as she can - she does not believe in the use of opiates and opioids that are extremely addictive, but otherwise is willing to explore any avenue to improve my quality of life. The only problem is that there has been a recent change in support staff and my initial reaction is negative, but I am willing to have an open mind until they can gain some additional experience. There has recently been a slight issue with punctuality which I attribute to her new staff, but normally she is very punctual and if you arrive early, there is a reasonable chance she will also be early, a positive.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1181359].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 16, 2013

Dr Smyth has been my safe your, I have RSD/CRPS she was the only doctor who truly understood this illness and tried all treatment options. I now have a spinal cord stimulator implant to help me deal with the unbearable pain from RSD. Unfortunately it is now spreading from my right arm/shoulder to my right leg she is still trying to help by monthly infusions and medications. They have a long waiting list but worth it, thank you Cathy and nurses at Ottawa Pain Clinic

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1181358].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 7, 2013

There is not a better doctor anywhere. Her compassion is extraordinary. When you are in tears she really comforts you. Many MD's just hand you the box of Kleenex. Her knowledge of pain is unsurpassed and her willingness to hear you out on other medications is rare amongst MD's. I dont know what I would do without her. A visit to her clinic could easily see you spending 1.5 hours and this is time in the clinic not in the waiting room. I never feel rushed!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1181357].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 26, 2011

She does not listen to her patients. She gives-up when it gets tough. If you dare to question her she gets upset.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1181356].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 11, 2011

Brilliant doctor, very understanding and truly sympathetic

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1181355].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 30, 2010

Dr.Smyth and her team are wonderful pain management team they address any issues and give there expert opinion on them I have been receiving treatment for over a year now and the treatment only gets better, they make you feel like they really care and are very helpful in any matter medical or not they assist in any way they can, Very knowledgeable and compassionate.I would recommend this doctor and her team to any patient in pain there wait list is lengthy but well worth the wait

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1181354].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 25, 2008

Dr. Smyth is a wonderful pain physician. She goes out of her way to help patients, answer questions, and squeeze them in for an appointment in times of crisis. Her team of nurses are also very helpful and always lend a compassionate ear when needed.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1181353].votes_count ]]