Rate Dr. Edward Margolin

Dr. Edward Margolin's Ratings

I've been a patient of Margolin's for two years. I'm 27 and was, at one point, put on medication for glaucoma. Every time I leave his office after my three hour appointment, I can barely see. I've always needed someone to escort me back home, or somewhere until the effects of the eyedrops wear off. I had to cancel my last appointment at short notice after my ride cancelled on me at the last minute. I was told by Margolin's receptionist that I must pay a $50 cancellation fee before I could rebook my next appointment. I already pay $100 every 6 months for an HRT test at his office that isn't covered by OHIP. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, I was told the same thing. The supervisor mentioned they make exceptions if, say, Wheeltrans cancels. The supervisor then said that since I was 27, I could take transit. I had to politely remind them that it does not matter how old someone is, if they cannot see they cannot see. The supervisor said she would "bother" Dr. Margolin with this at the end of the day, and that I would get a call back. I never got that call. When I called back two weeks later, I got the same story. Unfortunately, the reason why the appointments are 3 hours is because, like many reviews mention, each doctor has overbooked. All 3 of my exams take no more than 3 minutes each. My time with Margolin is roughly 10 minutes. I should be out of his office in less than half an hour. But why treat one patient in that time when you can bill OHIP for 3 or 5? Last year, when Margolin's office never returned my call, my optometrist, who had referred me to him, had to call his office for me. Then he got back to me in 24 hours. There's a bedside manner issue in this office, with Dr. Margolin and his staff. But the buck stops at Dr. Margolin. If you can find another eye specialist, of which there are plenty, I would recommend it. There's nothing worse than getting a negative diagnoses about your vision after three hours of being treated like a market commodity. Don't be fooled by all the gadgets he has in his office. A doctor with more experience who you can communicate with is always a better option for your long-term care.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2634285].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 26, 2014

Dr. Margolin is a great doctor. Wait times are long, however, it is worth the wait. He takes time to answer questions and is very polite and respectful. Overall, i'm very satisfied with the care I received

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2610871].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 7, 2014

I had a sudden vision loss that resulted in Dr. Margolin seeing me within a day. Lucky for me. He is very knowledgable and took the time to answer my questions, but I kept them short and to the point. Knowledge should be paramount in a doctor. You know there will be a long wait so take the time to prepare - what questions do you have? Bring a notebook, write them down. Write down what the doctor says, repeat back to the doctor what you heard so you are clear. If the demand was equal to the resources, there would be time for chatting and hugs, sad to say that is not how it works today. Your health is too important, and they are telling you there will be 3 hours so stop texting someone about how long the wait is, and make sure you are prepared. The only way to help the most people is to be efficient. Every minute asking about your feelings delays someone else. If you want a hug, bring a friend or get a puppy. I am sure anyone with these credentials would not short change you on the diagnosis but you have the right to ask questions, and if you are prepared any Doctor will respect that. Do some thinking and planning time, they are giving you the opportunity for uninterrupted time right in the waiting room...

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2610103].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 7, 2014

Good doctor,has great knowledge about treating diabetes and related eye conditions,but manner is rather cold,aloof. Makes one feel as if you are on an assembly line. Rather dismissive attitude.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2565549].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 6, 2014

We waited five months to see Dr Margolin, since April; upon the referral of our eye surgeon; my husband lost the sight in one of his eyes......to say we are no further ahead from going to this appointment, we were prewarned about the long wait time, but this office is run like a fast food restaurant, for one thing the technician that did the field test is running three machines at the same time,, could there ever be a mix up; it did not seem very professional to me.....we had two quick visits with the Dr; he was abrupt, did not give you the opportunity to ask any questions, you basically were dismissed......the Dr was vocused on inputting data on his computer; we filled in a form upon entering the office, it was evident that the Dr did not receive this form, he asked questions that were on the original form....upon our long drive home, we both felt so let down, we were so looking forward to meeting this professional doctor and perhaps getting some questionsw answered, we did not have the oppoortunity to ask anything., In all fairness to the doctor, blood work has been requested, a MRI done....but his last words after being dismissed was "see you in eight months"......do we worry about this, will his other eye suffer, will it get worse; why did it happen etc etc......we are out on a lmb here, we truly do not know anything,...I hope that the Dr reads this and perhaps learns something, we dont expect him to be best buddies with us, we know he is busy, but a couple of minutes, or perhaps ask us if there are any questions.......so we are upset, angry and very depressed........where does one go from here to find out answers????????

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2500607].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 16, 2014

I am a doctor myself, but , was treated like any ordinary patient, no special treatment from Dr. Ed. Very well trained young doctor, patiently answers questions, in email too.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2495702].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 13, 2014

I was referred to Dr Margolin by my family physician and I was really impressed with his knowledge and care. He made sure to expedite my tests and called me personally with the results. I was really grateful for that.
My appointment took a couple of hours as I had to see a technician first and had to wait for my eyes to be dilated. The secretary warned me about a possible long wait so I was prepared for that.
Overall I am very happy with the care that I received. Thank you

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2486985].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 7, 2014

Have been seeing him for a few years, have a tumor that presses on optical nerve. Really a great guy--smart, reserved, but always ready to help and see if there is a problem.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2486859].votes_count ]]

very very long wait

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2486573].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 7, 2014

I had surgery on my eyes by Dr. Margolin in April. Besides waiting hours for him for my pre-op appointment, staff were very rude and incompetent. Secretary didn't seem like she knew what she was doing, she kept mixing up patients and files. When I met Dr. Margolin, he was rude barely took the time to listen to my issues with my eyes. Unfortunately with my condition he was the only Dr. in Ontario that would do my surgery so I had no choice to go with him. The day before my surgery I got a call from the secretary that she forgot to book the anesthesiologist and that I would have no choice but to be fully awake during my eye surgery or re-book my surgery for an unknown later date. My vision was getting so bad, along with the fact that I had already book my 2 week recovery time off with work, I told them I would go ahead with it. When I arrived for my surgery the next day I was told that I would be put under, that was all I was thankful for. My wife had came along with me for my surgery and when she came into the recovery room he joked to her if she would still want to be married to me, with the way I looked. He was very short with me but nice to my wife, he spoke to her and practically ignored me. I had issues after my surgery and he refused the see me for a follow up because it was Passover and there was no other Dr. that could see me. That is when my regular eye doctor took over the care and helped me. I didn't get my folow up with him until 4 weeks later, and even then he was rude and said I was fine and that he did a great job. I would never go to him again or recommend him to anyone, find someone else he is horrible as a Dr. and a person. I now am dealing with the repercussions of a bad surgery and may have to go for another or go on long term disability

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2485687].votes_count ]]