Rate Dr. James C. Thurmond

Dr. James C. Thurmond's Ratings

My surgery went well and I am finally pain-free. Doctor Thurmond was professional and thorough and I am very thankful for his good work. I would most certainly recommend Dr. Thurmond to anyone in need of back surgery.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2605984].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 4, 2014

Dr Thurmond was very patient and attentive to me. Him and his staff were very nice and helpful. I would definitely go back to see him if I needed to! After surgery, I am pain free and feel great! Very thankful and grateful to him for " fixing" me!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2604616].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 3, 2014

I experience several back problems per year and am otherwise healthy and pain-free. When these episodes occur, it's debilitating and often lasts for a week or more. The doctor would do nothing to help me. The only thing he could recommend was coming back when an episode occurred to try an injection to help narrow down the source. He provided no other recommendations for preventative exercise and said just keep doing what I'm doing. The whole reason I went there was because it's not working. I feel I was discriminated against because I'm not in pain 24/7. He made it sound as if I hardly have any problems. Bottom line: don't go there unless you have chronic pain. Biggest waste of $50. So now I get to pay for my own MRI and try to search for someone who is willing to help me. The medical profession and insurance companies have totally failed me when it comes to back pain. My chiropractor has done a million times more for me than they ever have! In the future, I think I'll ask to talk to one of the nurses to recommend which doctor they would see.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2576352].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 14, 2014

I am stunned by the number of good reviews this surgeon has. I got a bad vibe from the moment I walked into his office and he had no clue who I was or what my issues were. Against my better judgement (clouded by pain) I allowed him to perform a discectomy. When my pain did not abate he blamed it on me (my 'low pain tolerance') and finally when 3 months had passed and I was still no better he rapidly changed his tune and said my disc was 'shot' and it was fusion time. He said for me with my low pain tolerance (!!) he would keep me overnight. Now, 18 mos later I am facing a fusion (different surgeon, obviously) and am learning that it's ALWAYS multi-night stay. So his whole condescending nonsense about my special needs were just nonsense. Of note, I had previously had a discectomy with no issues. Comparing him to my last surgeon (different city)... just not even possible. Again - I can't believe he has satisfied patients. I even met a prior nurse of his who said he was horrid.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][407703].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 30, 2013

Very good Doctor. Answered all questions and listened to all my concerns prior and post surgery

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][407702].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 23, 2013

Dr Thurmond may be extremely pleasant with his patients and their families and explain everything he's going to do and answer every question. However, he treats the hospital staff terribly. As the family member of a patient of his, I happen to overhear a conversation he had and how he purposefully went out of his way to not correct two errors he made so a patient could be discharged. You may have the greatest bedside manner and be a god in the surgery suites, but you DON'T treat the people taking care of -your- patients like garbage. Regardless of when or how they notified you. This is beyond reprehensible in my book and has left a bad taste in my mouth, despite a successful surgery with him. Dr. Thurmond should be ashamed of his behavior towards the nurse. It clearly caused visible undue stress on HIS patient. And for that reason, we will not be subjecting our family member to the slightest chance of this grandstanding and should we find that we need a Neurosurgeon it won't be him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][407701].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 31, 2013

In addition to being an excellent doctor, Dr. Thurmond also exhibits a relatively rare trait for doctors. He seems to care about staying on or ahead of schedule for appointments, while giving the patient all the attention required. He is the best I've ever encountered at making you feel like your time is valuable.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][407700].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 7, 2012

Dr. Thurmond came across very very nice. He really knows his stuff. I would go back to him in a heartbeat. His secretary Barb is great. I really like her. All of the staff was very nice.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][407698].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 24, 2012

I found Dr. Thurmond to be very professional and personable. The entire staff were pleasant, polite and helpful. My surgery went well and had a great outcome. I really appreciated being treated as a person and not just a body on an assembly line. I was always talked to and not down to or at by everyone there.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][407699].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 26, 2012

Dr. and staff were very friendly and polite. Dr. Thurmond performed an emergency back surgery on a sunday and was very personable, friendly and knowledgeable.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][407697].votes_count ]]