Dr. James C. Thurmond

Dr. James C. Thurmond

Rate Dr. James C. Thurmond

Dr. James C. Thurmond's Ratings

I am stunned by the number of good reviews this surgeon has. I got a bad vibe from the moment I walked into his office and he had no clue who I was or what my issues were. Against my better judgement (clouded by pain) I allowed him to perform a discectomy. When my pain did not abate he blamed it on me (my 'low pain tolerance') and finally when 3 months had passed and I was still no better he rapidly changed his tune and said my disc was 'shot' and it was fusion time. He said for me with my low pain tolerance (!!) he would keep me overnight. Now, 18 mos later I am facing a fusion (different surgeon, obviously) and am learning that it's ALWAYS multi-night stay. So his whole condescending nonsense about my special needs were just nonsense. Of note, I had previously had a discectomy with no issues. Comparing him to my last surgeon (different city)... just not even possible. Again - I can't believe he has satisfied patients. I even met a prior nurse of his who said he was horrid.

Submitted Dec. 30, 2013 | flag

Very good Doctor. Answered all questions and listened to all my concerns prior and post surgery

Submitted Aug. 23, 2013 | flag

Dr Thurmond may be extremely pleasant with his patients and their families and explain everything he's going to do and answer every question. However, he treats the hospital staff terribly. As the family member of a patient of his, I happen to overhear a conversation he had and how he purposefully went out of his way to not correct two errors he made so a patient could be discharged. You may have the greatest bedside manner and be a god in the surgery suites, but you DON'T treat the people taking care of -your- patients like garbage. Regardless of when or how they notified you. This is beyond reprehensible in my book and has left a bad taste in my mouth, despite a successful surgery with him. Dr. Thurmond should be ashamed of his behavior towards the nurse. It clearly caused visible undue stress on HIS patient. And for that reason, we will not be subjecting our family member to the slightest chance of this grandstanding and should we find that we need a Neurosurgeon it won't be him.

Submitted July 31, 2013 | flag

In addition to being an excellent doctor, Dr. Thurmond also exhibits a relatively rare trait for doctors. He seems to care about staying on or ahead of schedule for appointments, while giving the patient all the attention required. He is the best I've ever encountered at making you feel like your time is valuable.

Submitted Aug. 7, 2012 | flag

Dr. Thurmond came across very very nice. He really knows his stuff. I would go back to him in a heartbeat. His secretary Barb is great. I really like her. All of the staff was very nice.

Submitted July 24, 2012 | flag

I found Dr. Thurmond to be very professional and personable. The entire staff were pleasant, polite and helpful. My surgery went well and had a great outcome. I really appreciated being treated as a person and not just a body on an assembly line. I was always talked to and not down to or at by everyone there.

Submitted May 26, 2012 | flag

Dr. and staff were very friendly and polite. Dr. Thurmond performed an emergency back surgery on a sunday and was very personable, friendly and knowledgeable.

Submitted April 10, 2012 | flag

I have always felt completely comfortable with Dr. Thurmond. He has repeatedly made sure that I understood what my procedure involved, and what to expect for results. Most importantly, I am no longer in pain.

Submitted Feb. 7, 2012 | flag

very helpful and caring takes the time and will sit and talk to you and what can and can not be done he is not a cut you see you doc. had a good number of visit after surgery to make sure everything was ok.{seen him for 1 year after my surgery}not many doctors see you that long

Submitted Jan. 19, 2012 | flag

Dr Thurmond is very very through, listens to you and you don't feel like you are being rushed. Would HIGHLY recommend.

Submitted Jan. 12, 2012 | flag