Rate Dr. James McDonald

Dr. James McDonald's Ratings

Wow, what can you say about this guy that hasn't already been said? The man has left me in tears on several occasions. I feel very uncomfortable listening to him condescend not only just myself but the other patients as well. He is very unprofessional to say the least. I only go to see him if I ABSOLUTLY have to - if I can't get in to see my regular Dr. And it's just for things like colds and flu. The wait times are short, the receptionist is very nice.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2635124].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 27, 2014

I saw Dr McDonald for several years. At first it was for simple things - at that time I was happy with getting in and out quickly - usually just needed refills for heart meds and flu shots. As time went on I became quite ill. He ordered a few tests and told me nothing was wrong. I got sicker and sicker and this became a problem for my employer. His attitude was that it must be awful for my poor employer. Eventually he referred me to a specialist who discovered I had several digestive conditions and had operations approx. every 6 months over the next 4 years. In 2009 I had a CT Scan which revealed a mass growing in my pancreas, so its back to the specialist - or so I thought. Dr. McDonald advised me nothing was wrong. Didn't bother himself with why I was having new pain and a new place. Time went by and I became clinically depressed and stopped caring. I finally went to him one more time recently. Over a course of 8 months I lost 140 lbs and was concerned. When I told him why I was there he told me I didn't look any different to him. I went from 250 to 120. When I weighed his response was to tell me that weighing 250 was 'ridiculous'. What possible reason could he have to tell me that was ridiculous but not be concerned with losing that much weight in that time period? Then he wrote me up for some blood work, including the blood test that he should have given me years earlier. After thinking about it, I decided to go to a real doctor. Finding a doctor taking new patients here is near impossible. The rare few that are taking new patients don't speak English well enough for me to understand them. I then went to a Medi Centre and told my story to a doctor there. He ordered blood work, and ultra sound, then a CT Scan. During the ultra sound the technician commented that he'd never seen a gall bladder that was so big. It was crammed with stones. He also told me I needed a CT Scan asap. I had the CT Scan then went to see my Medi Centre doc. The CT showed a tumor in my pancreas that is inoperable due to all the blood vessels in and around the tumor. He also gave me a copy of my CT Scan showing the results Dr McDonald got from that was that I had a very small mass in my pancreas and needed to have a follow up CT Scan in 6 months. Scroll back to where Dr McDonald wouldn't order the blood test I needed to have first. He condemned me to death then and there. Since that time the unidentified mass in my pancreas has grown to be full on inoperable cancer which has also spread to my bile duct and liver. Off to the specialist I go. He did an endoscopic biopsy and wasn't able to get tissue samples of the pancreas tumour due to the blood vessels. At that point I researched pancreatic cancer. I had all of the symptoms and told Dr McDonald several times over the years. He never acknowledged that he even heard what I was saying. The one thing he is good at ......prescribing Tylenol 4's to everyone that asks for them. This I know because I live near his office and see people on a daily basis leaving the pharmacy next door and wandering up the street trying to sell them. I have been approached several times and without fail they were prescribed by Dr McDonald. Now I won't make another Christmas......and this could have been identified and treated 6 months after the CT Scan in 2009.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2581715].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 17, 2014

I am still upset so I hope I don't forget any important details. I ran out of my Celexa a week ago and have been feeling the effects. I went in for a prescription refill, and while we were there I thought we could get some paperwork filled out for our pending adoption. Very generic exam and family history paperwork.
He walked into the room, never looking up from his papers, speaking into his clipboard the whole time, and said "so what do you want?". He never once made eye contact with either of us, and continued mumbling into his papers the whole time we were there.
He signed the bottom of our paperwork before reading it, and very accusingly asked why we hadn't signed it yet. I told him we weren't supposed to sign until the paperwork was filled out. He checked that everything was normal with us before he even asked us any questions, so he was forced to scribble out what he had written when I told him that there actually were infertility problems associated with us choosing to adopt. He said that " at the very least" he would take our blood pressure. Which he did. He then filled out that he had examined our sight/hearing/respiratory/etc when he had done none of it.
I am not okay with lying on official documents, especially for something as important as our adoption, and when I told him that he began to raise his voice and become quite angry. He repeatedly said that he was doing us a favour by seeing us and that they usually charge $150 for this paperwork to be filled out. I let him know that we did not want favours and we're entirely willing to pay... He could not be placated. He said "I'm doing you favours and you won't stop complaining about it".
We ended up having his very nice admin shred the paperwork for us because he didn't care enough to ask us questions, and repeatedly told us that some medical history is more important than the rest. Some cancers count and others don't.

When asking for refills of my prescriptions, he called them "a stretch", a phrase he used a LOT. I have been on celexa, pantaprazole, and clonazepam for 4 years. He refused to give me clonazepam, implying that I was misusing it. I let him know that my dogs ate a bottle, which he could confirm with the emergency veterinarian if he needed to, but he said something sarcastic about how it was very coincidental to lose large amounts of pills and need more.
In the end, after all that, he wrote a prescription for the clonazepam, but forgot one of my other pills.

I was super pissed off at his attitude and unprofessionalism, so I called him out on it. He became very mean and made me cry. As I was crying, he very condescendingly said he would refer me to a psychiatrist. And he actually did.

He is an unprofessional, condescending ass. I would never wish his care upon my worst enemy. He left the room half-way through my "exam" to take a big from the floor and release in into the wild. He is insane, and rude, and spiteful. He does not act like an adult not does he act like someone who has been educated. I do not understand how he is employed.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2501832].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 17, 2014

Dr. McDonald has some of the worst bedside manner I've ever seen. Clearly hates what he does and wrote assumptions on a form for a physical in order to speed up the process, then essentially yelled at my wife when she called him on it. Dr. McDonald has no business being employed as a doctor or any field that works with the public.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2501789].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 17, 2014

Most awkward and cluelss Doctor I've ever been to in my life.He was very rude without even as much as a simple hello,just came in flopped down and said "Whats wrong". I told him I've been having constant re-occuring eye infections and I was actually born without tear ducts at all and had to get surgery to be given some.Then I had to get the tear duct holes stretched cause they were closing up when I was a toddler.My own father said I was having the same symptoms with my eyes as when I was a child and I might need to get the procedure done again.I told the Doctor all this including the fact my dad has glass tubes in his tear ducts cause his will not stay open at all without them,and he completely dismissed everything I had to say and said something like that simply does not happen.I sat there dumbfounded not sure what say,But if I "insisted" he would refer me to the eye doctor specialist.I left there feeling stupid and annoyed.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2444606].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 26, 2014

This doctor is completely incompetent. He has no idea what he is doing half the time and I don't feel like he listens. I had to get a shot there once and he fudged it up and made a big bubble under my skin the was painful then told me to go and get another vial from my pharmacist so he could try it again. He has dealt with my dad awfully and we have ended up just talking my dad to emergency and getting a answer there. The staff however are very helpful and know that this dr is not very much liked. I have seen him yell at his staff in front of patients, very unprofessional.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2444605].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 21, 2014

I've always disliked going to McDonald but when I go to the doctor it's because I need to be there so I suck it up. This time I've had enough. I've had terrible hives for a month now. So bad that it closes my throat and swells my eyes shut. I recently moved back to Edmonton and unfortunately had to see him. He didn't even look at me when he spoke and when I explained how bad they got he responded with "well yeah it's a reaction" and left it at that. I asked him to refer me to a dermatologist to get allergy tests done and he said for me to just call and make an appointment. When I told him I needed him to refer me to one he walked out and said " just call a place and figure it out". I had to get the receptionist to confirm that they need to make the initial call and she apologized and said she would. Still haven't heard back.. Surprise, surprise. Does anyone know of a number to call to have him reported?

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1186597].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 16, 2013

one of the best doctors in edmonton He is good and he is available, seldom have to wait unless come too late in the day, thank you,

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1186596].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 7, 2013

I AM FILING A COMPLAINT AGAINST MCDONALD WITH THE COLLEGE OF PHYSICIANS AND SURGEONS OF ALBERTA. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO JOIN ME ON THIS...POS "DRs" LIKE THIS SHOULD NOT BE PRACTICING!!!! I SLIPPED ON THE ICE A FEW TIMES THIS WINTER AND I HAVE EXISTING BACK PROBLEMS (HERNIATED DISCS) AND I HAVE BEEN IN EXTREME PAIN. WHEN I ASKED FOR A PRESCRIPTION HE ACTUALLY SAID TO ME "MAYBE YOU ALWAYS FALL BECAUSE YOU ARE SO DOPED UP ON CODEINE. EITHER THAT OR YOU CONVENIENTLY FALL TO COME BACK TO ASK FOR IT". WHEN HE WALKED INTO THE EXAM ROOM, HE SAID"SO WHATS YOUR PROBLEM TODAY?" IVE NEVER BEEN SO INSULTED IN MY LIFE - HE NEEDS TO HAVE HIS LICENSE TAKEN AWAY

Was this rating useful? 4 [[ userState['ratings'][1186595].votes_count ]]