Rate Dr. Melanie L. Appell

Dr. Melanie L. Appell's Ratings

Dr. Appell was the dermatologist for my entire family for a number of years. However, I had a spot that I felt uncomfortable with and asked her to remove it. She said "it's fine." My gut instinct told me differently. Since I was already there and had taken off work, I asked her to please just remove it because the looks of it bothered me. Good thing I did because it turned out to be a melanoma! Considering melanoma is the fastest spreading, deadliest form of cancer, I thank God my gut went against the doctor. After all that, their office had the nerve to send me a bill for $6.00! I was floored! I called them to ask if they were serious. When I realized how frivolous they were and the fact they almost misdiagnosed a deadly cancer, I requested a copy of my records and immediately changed doctors. I would not recommend them to anyone.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1187304].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 31, 2013

I have been seeing Dr. Appell for a little while now and though she is not always on time, (I usually wait anywhere from 15-25 minutes) she is an amazing doctor. WORTH THE WAIT! The procedures I have had done were painless, efficient, and most importantly, effective. I highly recommend Dr. Appell to anyone who is in search of a top notch dermatologist who won't waste your time or money.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1187303].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 14, 2012

I saw Dr. Appell for hair loss.I told her that I had been to a dermatologist and knew that I had pattern baldness. She ordered a blood test and took a biopsy. She told me that we would know something about my condition when I returned for my follow up two weeks later. When I returned, she told me that I had pattern baldness....duh, i told you that! She had no additional information to the first visit (which was nothing) She recommended a drug called Propecia to me "•you should know that finasteride is only for use in men. If taken by pregnant women, finasteride can harm the male fetus. Women who are, could become, or may be pregnant should not take finasteride or touch broken or crushed finasteride tablets. If a pregnant woman takes or touches finasteride tablets, she should talk to her doc" (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001028/). Then she tried to make me pay another co-pay for a follow up visit. Worst doctor ever! Do not waste your time or money on this doc.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1187302].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 7, 2011

Dr. Appell is fantastic! She is very professional and knowledgeable in her field of practice. Very knowledgeable in breaking research for skin care. I would not trust anyone else with my skin. She has a friendly yet serious demeanor and truly does care for the overall health of her patients.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1187301].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 8, 2010

Sad that her practice no longer takes my insurance. She is great! Sounds like an ungrateful patient that doesn't appreciate a doctor coming into the office after hours to care for her instead of having her go to the Emergency Room! I would think that is above & beyond!!!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1187300].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 21, 2010

I had a mole removed during pregnancy. It took two hours. I was given local anesthesia, which did not work. Dr. Appel began making the incision before confirming I was numb FOUR times. Later that evening, My stitches burst and I had to meet her at the office at 8pm. She left a party to meet me. It was uncomfortable. I would not use her again.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1187299].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 25, 2009

very rushed first visit. I won't go back to see her again.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1187298].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 10, 2009

Very knowledgeable and thorough. She carefully considers things she finds, and provides the right treatment. She takes her time and discusses the problem or issue and answers all questions. Does not seem in a big hurry to get out.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1187297].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 4, 2009

Dr. Appell is the best dermatologist I have ever used. She is on top of her job. She is not only professional she is always friendly and is truely concerned about her patients well being. She and her staff are always ready to find an answer or a cure to skin problem.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1187296].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 16, 2008

Dr Appell accomodates patients with appointments as early as 6am. Quickly diagnosis problem areas and is truly concerned with her patients. Her skin is a living testimony that she practices what she preaches about avoiding overexposure to the sun. MW

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1187295].votes_count ]]