Rate Dr. Alan Weiss

Dr. Alan Weiss's Ratings

I found him to be very patient with me and a good listner. He explained things cleary and what my options were. He always has time for me and I never feel that I am being rushed. Overall genuinely caring and friendly. I would highly recommend. I am thankful that he is my doctor. (PLUS...Staff is always being "A" one)

Submitted June 3, 2012 | flag

I was referred to Dr. Weiss by my oncologist GP 2 yrs ago for a suspected IPMN which was thought to be malignant. He performed a Endoscope and said he felt it was more 0f a psuedocyst and because he felt there was no tell tale signs of a IPMN.He instructed me to "quit drinking alcohol" even though i told him i was not a drinker (i am ndn, but don"t drink). He said i shouldn't be feeling any pain and to get off my pain meds (which i don't even take regularly). I felt discomfort after each procedure and he said i shouldn't be feeling and discomfort. Even after a couple more Endoscopes he suggested that i come back in a year, still believing that i didn't need surgery and it was a psuedocsyt and if i lose weight it would go away. Last year i had a ERCP done by another Dr. and was confirmed IPMN and that it needed to come out before it becomes malignant. I think he could be a great Dr. but he needs to improve his listening skills...and trust that a patient knows their body.

Submitted May 3, 2012 | flag

I have been under treatment for over 10 years. I find him the most caring knowledgeable specialist I have ever known. I can safely say I own my life to him

Submitted Feb. 24, 2012 | flag

I've been a patient of Dr. Weiss for 27 years. In that time I've had several Colitis attacks, he has examined me by colonoscopy about once per year and has prescribed appropriate medication when needed. I have had no problems with him, I've found him to be totally competent and concerned for my health. His manner is businesslike, but then I need a G.I. not a buddy.

Submitted Feb. 15, 2012 | flag

After waiting 6 months to see Dr. Weiss; the first appointment ended up with Dr. Weiss suggesting a keep a food diary and then book a follow up appointment. During the follow-up appointment Dr. Weiss suggested all my IBS problems were due to my diet of Indian food. I asked him to show me the Indian food in my diary; he went through every page and then pointed at the word ratatouille. I let him know that this was a French dish. He obviously wasted my time and did not even look at the diary. If anyone refers you to Dr. Weiss ask for referral to someone else.

Submitted Dec. 12, 2011 | flag

In hind-sight, if I was referred to this Doctor I would insist on being sent elsewhere, even out-of-province. I was referred as a ASAP cancer patient. He was late. He interviewed without having access to my file (he said), (which for the record, is in the hospital computer). I was instructed to call his office in 7 - 10 days if I had not heard from them. I did. His office had no idea who I was. Remember he had accepted me as an ASAP cancer patient. He went on vacation. I do contact his office to remind them that I'm still here. I'm still waiting.

Submitted Sept. 22, 2011 | flag

My wife was diagnosed with IPMN recently and is very thankful that the diagnostics is not relying on his very unprofessional non-medical opinion to this very serious diagnosis. To implicate that she may have indigestion may be the source of her pain. It seems that his diagnostic skills are not very good as percentages are paid in human lives. I realize that it is a tricky disease and again is thankful for the many doctors working on my wife.

Submitted May 10, 2011 | flag

He was very rushed and did not want to answer all my questions.he didn't even check me properly.I will definitely be seeking a 2nd opinion.

Submitted Feb. 14, 2011 | flag

Have been under his care for many years and have found him to be knowledgeable, caring and thorough. Can wait sometimes but think that is the nature of his work. Always follows up. Did prefer him at his private office.

Submitted May 28, 2010 | flag

In June 2009, my dad was diagnosed with liver cancer and was told to expect a call within 2 weeks for possible surgery. My dad being the trusting person he was, didn't follow up. Three months later, the cancer was deemed inoperable when the family intervened to book another appointment. Ten months later, my father passed away. During the follow-up visits, Dr Weiss didn't once mention how long my father had left, and continued to book ultrasounds and blood tests to which my dad had difficulty attending because his health was failing. He was even brought into Burnaby General Hospital on a day when Dr Weiss was on call at VGH. In emergency for most of the day while the hospital tried to contact Dr Weiss for further instructions, just to be medicated and sent home. Days later, he was re-admitted and within 10 days, he died. During this entire time, Dr Weiss did not provide any phone #s for any support services, i.e social workers or palliative care programs. Dad was just another statistic.

Submitted April 22, 2010 | flag