Rate Dr. Mary Altz-Smith

Dr. Mary Altz-Smith's Ratings

Dr Altz-Smith cared and advised me approximately 15 years. She is a very intelligent, knowledgeable, caring and compassionate doctor. Some people complained about waiting. you may have a wait, but when she sees you, you have her full attention. She is interested in the whole person and listens to all you have to say. I have never felt rushed or half listened to. I might not like having to wait but never before have I had a physician that I looked forward to seeing. She makes one feel as if you are not only her patient but her friend, also. I would highly recommend her to anyone

Submitted Jan. 6, 2013 | flag

Dr. Altz-Smith is a very caring knowledgeable doctor. She promised that if she could not find a diagnosis that she would get other doctors on board. And she has now brought 2 other specialists to work with us on diagnosing and treating my rare condition of Schnitzlers Syndrome.

Submitted Aug. 12, 2012 | flag

The worst experiance I have ever had,was recommended to her by my Primary,waited 5hrs for my 1st app.sounded like it was going to be the magic bullet.i was already terribly sick & run down,but she left me on the same meds the first dr had me on,2nd visit I waited 4 1/2,no food,no drink,no tv,no pics,out of date or nearly no mags to look at,very cold & unwelcoming invironment,then i began to listen to the complaints in the lobby about her making you wait sooo long,her poor staff is so stressed & pushed to the edge,then when i got to see her the second time,it was like a chicken woke up in a new world,forgot to get my biopsy results in,forgot about the new affected areas i showed her,wouldn't take me off work i drive a school bus & am just too fatigued to drive & wasnt sure how the meds we were swapping would affect me,but to no avail "what would i take her off work for i dont even know whats wrong with her? my husband begged her,nope shes not for me,I AM MAYO BOUND!

Submitted March 30, 2012 | flag

I had been a patient of Dr. Altz-Smith for over 15 years and have suffered with Fibromyalgia for years but when I scheduled my yearly appt. I mentioned that I may be applying for disability and I got a call back in a week after scheduling appt. and got dumped. She no longer wanted to see me as a patient. After 15 years of entrusting my health to this woman and always loving her and waiting 3-4 hours for each appt. she patient dumped me. I now would never recommend her to anyone else ever. I just don't understand why she dumped me after all these years. And I really loved her as a doctor and had been passed around to 6 doctors in my late 20's when no one had heard of fibromyalgia and she was recommended to me and I stayed with her and followed her protocol even though it takes you six months to get an appt. and you have to wait so long and then I just get dumped. I don't understand it except I believe she didn't want to be involved in my disability filing.

Submitted March 7, 2012 | flag

I don't know what experience the person who thinks she is horrible had, but I have been with Dr. Altz-Smith for 18 years and she was the best thing to ever happen to me. I was living a normal lifestyle, very atheletic in my 20's, happy, worked in a recording studio and suddenly developed horrible muscle pain with fatigue that was debilitating. I went to 5 doctors none had a clue. I was told I had bursitis from overdoing it. No one took the terrible pain, fatigue, headaches serious until the last doctor who referred me to her. She is extremely compassionate, tested me for all types of auto immune disorders and found markers that only mean I am predisposed to develop a more serious condition. She has put me through every type of test and treats me aggressively yet cautiously. She doesn't just push the new drugs as many do. She treats the whole person, phyisically, mentally, emotionally, ask about job, family. Only reason her rating is not a 5 is due to her spending 20 min instead of 5.

Submitted Dec. 10, 2010 | flag

Dr.Altz-Smith has treated my osteoarthritis for the past 20 years. She is very caring and knowledgeable, and has used every means to treat my arthritis, never giving up. I have had 4 joint replacement surgeries. She will only refer her patients to orthopedic surgeons after she has researched these surgeons thoroughly. She only wants the best for her patients. I trust her completely.

Submitted Jan. 17, 2010 | flag

The Worst Doctor I Have Ever Encountered I am reporting Dr. Mary Altz-Smith to the Alabama Board of Medical Examiners for noncompliance with the AMA's Principles and Codes of Medical Ethics. In summary: I have never in my life encountered a doctor who, for whatever reason, could not provide a diagnosis and not guide me in a course of other potential options, solutions, or doctors outside of her own field of expertise. My experience with her as a doctor has been one of unprofessionalism, unresponsiveness, ineffectiveness, and insensitivity. I feel that I a have been severely underserved and neglected under your “care.” She is the rudest, condescending, dismissive, and unresponsive physician I have ever encountered in my lifetime. I feel that I have been severely underserved and neglected under her “care.”

Submitted Aug. 25, 2009 | flag

Absolutly best doctor ever. I had went to several doctors through 6 years trying to get an answer to why I felt so fatigued and hurt all the time. I was basically told bey 3 doctors that it was in my head. Dr. Atlz-Smith listened, ran complete test (blood work, full body bone scan, nuclear testing, x-rays, etc, bone density, etc.) to rule out mutliple issues prior to diagnosis of fribromyalgia and this was 20 years ago when no one had even heard of firbromyalgia. She also stated that it was importatn to rule out all other causes because some physicians were too eager to label a condition as fibromyalgia (and basically said they were to lazy to rule out other causes) which hurt those who really do have the condition. Real fibromyalgia is extremely debiliatating and effects your whole life and daily functions because of exteme pain and fatique. She found one blood test always abnormoal but it is non-specific but does mean a pre-disposed to develop an immune system disorer in the future.

Submitted July 23, 2008 | flag

One of the most knowledgeable and thorough Doctor of Rheumatology in this area of the US. YOU ARE GOING TO WAIT A LONG TIME TO SEE HER, but the wait is well worth it. She spends a lot of time trying to take care of her patients. She is very intelligent.

Submitted Oct. 26, 2007 | flag

She is current on all the recent studies and treatments. She treats the person, not just the disease or the symptoms. No symptom is insignificant, they are all considered in the big picture until ruled out. My blood work is followed closely and I feel very safe and cared for.

Submitted Jan. 17, 2007 | flag