Rate Dr. Norman Thie

Dr. Norman Thie's Ratings

I was referred to Dr.Thie a few months ago about my TMJ issues because I can't get any further dental work done until it's resolved. He was a very patient, informative doctor who has a great staff working with him. The costs are high (to be expected) but they do offer payment plans. I was sent for imaging and I'm just waiting on the results. I have a co-worker who sees him also and she has nothing but nice things to say. TMJ takes patience and for those of you who don't like him because it's a "long process", well, it doesn't fix itself over night. I look forward to working with Dr.Thie over the next while to deal with my issues and I would recommend him to anyone who suffers from TMJ and isn't looking for a "quick fix" but rather a long term solution.

Submitted July 9, 2014 | flag

I was referred to Dr. Thie's office during the process of getting braces - it was recommended that I ensure my TMD issues would not be made worse by getting braces. While their usual wait time is a few months for new patients, I was able to get an appointment much earlier by asking to be on their cancellation list. The staff were capable, friendly and quick to answer my questions. They also sent a request for pre-approval to my work insurance company which saved me some work. After being seen by Dr. Thie twice (first for an assessment and referral to have imaging work done, second for a follow up appointment), I can say with certainty that he is an experienced, funny man, who is easy to talk to and knowledgable in his field. He took the time to listen to my concerns and explain what my issues were, giving me easily accessible solutions.

Submitted May 20, 2014 | flag

Was referred by my dentist, and again told he was the "best". He felt my jaw and had me open my mouth to check for clicking. Decided I didn't have a TMJ problem and didn't need an appliance to deal with this, even though I have had one for 23 years to this point. My previous specialist (Walter Buck) passed away, but was infinitely better. Dr. Thie is rude, does not make eye contact, avoids answering direct questions, and has to be asked the same thing repeatedly to get an actual answer. I had to ask repeatedly for a perscription he had earlier recommended, and then was told I could only get it at a pharmacy run by a friend of his. Not true. Has caused me to have doubts about my dentist who I have seen for years. Would not recommend Dr. Thie to anyone. After several months, and several visits, I still don't have a splint that helps, and nobody at the clinic seems to care. Very frustrating after paying so much, most of which is not covered by benefits.

Submitted April 10, 2014 | flag

Was referred to Dr. Thie for severe TMJ pain, my dentist said he was "the only" TMJ specialist in Edm. It takes weeks to get in for an appointment, which is frustrating when you are in a lot of pain (which I was and am). The Dr. was 20 mins behind for my appt but I was eager to get help. He felt the muscles in my jaw/face, measured my jaw opening and then gave me 30 days of muscle relaxants and told me to "take it easy". His asst then gave me a bunch of the usual TMJ info and said they would follow up with me. I never heard back from the clinic, and almost a year later I had to call them to follow up (still in the same amount of pain). This time he was 30 mins late, and only came in, asked if things were the same, then prescribed Sublinox (Ambien) and said it should help me sleep at night. His asst then said they could make me a splint and quoted me $1500 that would be in no way covered by my benefits provider. I am still desperate for help with my TMJ pain, and would not go back.

Submitted Jan. 29, 2013 | flag

Treatment with respect and patient focused comfort and care.

Submitted Nov. 7, 2012 | flag

I went to Dr. Thie because he was recommended to me as one of the best TMJ specialists in Alberta. However, I was very displeased with his outlook. I suffered from extreme TMJ, and the only solutions Dr. Thie gave me was a) take drugs, b) wait five years and HOPEFULLY it resolves itself, c) do daily stretches to gain back my mobility, or c)go for jaw surgery. How can a doctor suggest someone to undergo a surgery as tedious as that that involves your jaw bones when he never once did take an x-ray or send me for an MRI? He merely looked at me and gave me these suggestions. I was in a state of barely being able to open my mouth wide enough to even insert a pill. After taking suggestion A, the side effects were not worth it and 0% of the pain was elevated, I then did suggestion C which put me back 6 months where my jaw became 100% locked. I went back to Dr. Thie, but he had dismissed me as a patient! He is NOT a specialist! Dr. Tammerie Height, now SHE is worth seeing!

Submitted Oct. 30, 2012 | flag

great office and best care I have had that starts before you even get there

Submitted July 3, 2012 | flag

He makes you go get a cone ct done at a clinic that he owns which charges over 400 even though if you have an MRI done. MRI's are hold standard and the quality of imaging from his machine which he profits from is not much different than information you could have received from the ct at your dentists office or the health care covered MRI. He seems like a total money seeker to me. I'd rather see a health care professional who is more concerned with my health than $$$$$. Unethical. Other than that the staff and everyone was great and he has a nice friendly personality. I just don't like being ripped off.

Submitted May 24, 2012 | flag

Incredible staff and doctor, have been there for years and will not go to anyone else. Have referred many friends and their family.This rate your doctor forum seems to be a very good way for people to vent and who knows if they have even been to the office.

Submitted Feb. 10, 2012 | flag

Worst customer service ever. These staff are supposed to be there to help. I waited several months to book an appt. and finally got one. At that time I gave my cell and home # and asked them to contact me on my cell to make sure I got messages. Three days before (Tues) I received a message reminder and if I could not make it to call to cancel. I was planning on attending so did not call. I received a call on my home phone while I was at work that the appt would be cancelled if I did not call and confirm. Then there was another message saying the appt was cancelled. I try and call back and of course they have an answering machine on so I leave a message and they call back the next day on my cell # which I had left on the message. They said the appt. was cancelled and are now booking into February. I said that was not acceptable then she said she could book me in in January, another month away. I told them I was going to contact my dentist to get another referral to somebody else.

Submitted Dec. 9, 2011 | flag