Rate Dr. Paul Savage

Dr. Paul Savage's Ratings

After experiencing this office first hand, I am able to comment that all of the ratings below are sadly true. I am disgusted that people are indeed treated so horribly by The office manager at this clinic. Sadly, as she is also the Doctor's wife, there will likely be no change. Please know that each person has a voice and a choice! The College of Physicians and Surgeons have a complaint process.. Be your own advocate. There are also other physicians available for your treatment. Don't settle. Be referred elsewhere.

Submitted April 15, 2014 | flag

Each of my last 3 annual review appointments was rescheduled due to a change in Dr. Savage's surgery schedule; which is AOK. What is not OK is that the messages were delivered in such a heavy Eastern accent that my wife and I had to replay them 3 times to be able to determine what was said. I phoned the office and talked to what sounded like a young Canadian woman, albeit never having seen an occidental behind the desk, to confirm my change in appointment and took the opportunity to point out that the last 3 phone messages had been unintelligible. Well, you should have heard the hot, defensive, argumentative denial; followed by a loud hang-up. Dr. Savage is a fine surgeon and a concerned doctor who runs an amazingly efficient clinic; which is the only reason I would return.

Submitted April 2, 2014 | flag

I have escorted my Mother to this office for 2 years now. I would first like to say that Dr Savage himself is a very good doctor and cares about his patients. He is one of the nicest doctors I have met and my Mother agrees that he has a wonderful way with his patients. The problem in this office is the Office manager who really is a terrible bully! Neither I or my Mother have been personally attacked by this woman YET, however we have both had to be in the uncomfortable position of witnessing her attacks on other patients almost every time we are there. She is determined to humiliate & degrade for ANY REASON and seems proud of herself for doing it. It is the strangest thing I have ever seen. It is so bad that I am assuming she has some kind of mental health issue that is causing this bizarre behavior. So maybe it isn't really her fault due to an illness, but I sure hope she gets the help she needs so that it isn't so tense in that waiting room!

Submitted Nov. 5, 2013 | flag

I am writing as a companion to a patient. Dr. Savage is a highly skilled and professional ophthalmologist. His staff are awful. Every time I walk into his office, I feel like I am being barked at by a vicious dog as opposed top being welcomed by a caring receptionist. After today, I will not cross the threshold which unfortunately leaves my partner at the mercy of the wolves!

Submitted June 6, 2013 | flag

As the sister of a patient, who has attended several appointments with him. I have to say that Dr Savage knows his stuff and has helped salvage what he can with my brother's eyesight but he has the "bedside manner" of a gorilla. I have a feeling that with the Witch he has for a wife (his office manager) that he is a hen-pecked man if I ever saw one. I cannot imagine having to go home with that witch (and work with her too). I noticed that his staff is 95% Filipino probably because most Canadian techs would not last a month it that office without having it out with HER. Then I am sure she would fire them ASAP. I am so glad I have a different eye doctor, Dr Vivian Hill, she is excellent and a pleasure to interact with plus her staff are excellent.

Submitted March 17, 2013 | flag

I guess when demand outpaces supply, you can behave horribly and still be successful. This is an assembly line so don’t expect respect or compassion. Bullies rule through intimidation & fear - ‘Savage’ is the perfect name for this pair. WHILE THE FRONT DESK STAFF TAKE THEIR CUES FROM THE DISRESPECTFUL CAROL SAVAGE, IT IS CONDONED BY THE PERSON IN CHARGE, THE DOCTOR. If you don't immediately comply with a directive, prepare to experience eye rolling, raised voices and dirty looks. I asserted patient/privacy rights by asking why they needed non-medical personal information. When the staff couldn't explain, the office manager raised her voice to say without it I couldn't see the doctor. The doctor later said follow the polices or leave. Most of my time was spent being processed by different staff and less than 5 minutes of my 2 hours was with the doctor, who was impersonal and abrupt. Some medical staff were incredibly personable, I hope they finder a nicer place to work.

Submitted Dec. 21, 2012 | flag

The most horrible experience. The staff is extremely rude and not helpful. First appointment will always be canceled due to unscheduled surgery. They will call you with the a new date,and not even care to ask if this will work for you, basically if it does not too bad for you. What happened to, these are the dates and times that we have available will any of them work for you? If you can find another doctor do it,the frustration is not worth the 2min doc visit.

Submitted Oct. 4, 2012 | flag

If you can find another eye specialist, go there! Then you will not have to potentially endure the rude, abrupt, demeaning treatment from the office manager?wife. This woman runs this clinic with no apparent compassion or social skills related to dealing with people enduring eye disease. On several occassions she YELLED across the clinic at my 85 year old mom and myself. The staff appear to be quite timid and it feels like you could cut the tension in there with a knife. When she is gone it is a lot more relaxed. When she is there it is somber and when she laughs the staff kind of laugh nervously. I am sure they pay their staff well. It does not take much to see they are a well oiled money making machine. Too bad because the doctor is great.

Submitted April 23, 2012 | flag

It takes nerves of steel to go to this clinic. The Office Manager is an extremely rude control freak. She is so controlling that when she is not there, the staff can't think for themselves. They are like robots trained to jump when she tells them. She treat the patients exactly the same way! I hope I NEVER have to go through that ever again. Make sure you study their rules and regulations before you go or you risk public humiliation and abuse. Its so unfortunate because Dr. Savage is very good! But you have to run the gauntlet to get to him. If we could eliminate the check in process and having to deal with that bunch at reception, it wouldn't be that bad. Be prepared to wait hours once you arrive. Bring a good book and ear plugs and keep your back to the reception desk - you might have a better experience if you can't hear or see what's going on. The staff clearly live in fear of this woman and are disfunctional because of it. She would be great working in a prison.

Submitted April 10, 2012 | flag

I took my 84 year old father for his follow up check up post surgery. The appointment was 2 hours behind and Dr Savage was very good. However, the office manager is an incredible bully of her staff and the seniors that arrive there. I can not believe this goes on, and I will be writing a letter to Alberta Health and will follow this up. Their sign states no abuse will be tolerated, but they freely abuse the patients. This office manager can only be described as a ****.

Submitted Feb. 25, 2012 | flag