Dr. Charles Gatto

Grad. Year: 1992

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Profile updated 29/01/14    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

Rating: 4.2 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 49 reviews. Dr. Charles Gatto has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Q: what fellowship did he complete?    Email me    Answer it

The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments

23/04/14 SYSTEM: 'birds of a feather' score (based on Medicare patients-in-common): 4.1
RID: 3635249
18/12/13 5 5 5 5 I had faith in Dr. Gatto on my first visit. He looked at my mri and said "I know what is wrong and I can fix it." He is very confident and very knowledgeable. Everyone on his staff was wonderful, and I recommend him to anyone with a back problem. I was in pain for almost a year and no one could find what was wrong with me except Dr. Gatto. I had surgery a year ago and the pain that I had is gone.
RID: 2693796
25/06/13 5 5 5 5 I've had back problems since my 20's (now I'm in my late 40's)and just dealt with it the best I could. However, in Aug 2012 I suffered a severe injury that was very bad and I could no longer deal with the incessant pain. I was referred to Dr. Gatto and after a couple of months of working with him I elected to have surgery. Dr. Gatto performed a decompression and fusion using the infuse bone product and the usual hardware (screws, rods, pins, etc.). It's been 4 months since the surgery and I feel better than I have in the last 25 years. Recovery has not been easy but I have followed the docs plan and the results have come quickly. In my opinion there's two components to this process; one is the medical care and the other is the personal commitment to recovery part. Dr. Gatto held up his part quite exceptionally and the other part is up to you. Thanks Doc/Sarah and office staff - great job and it is much appreciated as is sleeping through the night and tying my own shoes again!!!
RID: 2565674
20/02/13 5 5 5 5 I had a herniated disc caused by a rear end car accident. Dr. Gatto gave me my options, let me try different methods to heal the herniation, and finally performed the surgery on my back. I really appreciated Dr. Gatto's clear concise view of the injury, and his help and compassion in getting me through this issue. One thing that really stood out to me was his interaction with my wife after the surgery. He took the time to tell her exactly what happened and assured her that I was going to be fine. His assistant Sarah is outstanding as well. I would highly recommend Dr. Gatto and his staff to anyone with back related issues, as he was very helpful in my case.
RID: 2498164
12/12/12 5 5 5 5 Dr Gatto got me back on my feet after a discectomy in a couple days and back to regular unrestricted exercise in 4 weeks. Staff was great at Tri County. thanks to all
RID: 2407004
21/08/12 4 1 1 1 I went to dr.gatto to get a second opinion after i had a two level disc fusion.i told him i was in a lot of pain,numbness in my fingers,and no range of motion.he told me go back to work with limitations.this guy sucks dont care for you at all.
Insurance: Workers Comp
RID: 2328985
06/07/12 5 5 5 5 Dr. Gatto performed spinal fusion surgery on my neck. I was warned by several other doctors how serious this surgery is and I was told I will never have a full movement of my neck. Dr. Gatto is a miracle worker. I had a steak the same day from Roots steakhouse lol In one week I was moving around the house and was off all my medications. 4 weeks after surgery I was back at work with no pain and full movement of my neck. Thank you doctor!
Insurance: Workers Comp
RID: 2282012
22/06/12 5 5 5 5 God Bless America & Dr. Gatto. I am a 56 yr. old competitive cyclist and have never had surgery. The thought of back surgery is unacceptable. However with no other option I surrendered to a Discectomy and was back on my bike in 10 days. This Dr. is a gift to this world and I would recommend him to any and all. Thankyou Dr. Gatto
RID: 2197039
03/06/12 5 3 5 5 Was referred to see Dr. Gatto in an emergency situation as I could not feel my right leg. I had fallen four times and was very concerned. After getting my xrays and MRI, I saw Dr. Gatto and he shifted his schedule to perform my emergency surgery the next day. I was walking within 24 hours of surgery, and getting better every day. I have had some intermittent back pain for years and I am finally pain free!
RID: 1701044
31/01/12 5 5 5 5 I have to say this is one of the best doctors I have seen. I admit at first I wasn't to fond of him because when we were speaking he would just start recording his notes without warning but other than that I found him very easy to talk to. His bed side manner was very good and his staff are all wonderful. My surgery was a complete success and I will and already have recommended people to him.
RID: 1695071
24/01/12 5 5 5 5 The staff was very friendly, smiling and easing any nervousness I might have had when I entered the office. Dr. Gatto spent a great deal of time with me explaining my problem and various options. Confirming the seriousness of weakness in my leg, he scheduled surgery within a few days. After a long day of office hours, he then came to MMH and did my surgery at 4PM. He was extremely personable, very intelligent and had great interpersonal skills. He has a wonderful reputation and I certainly can attest to that. All my questions were answered in a calm and caring manner. Prior to surgery, he again met with my family and I and answered last minute questions. He treated me as if I was a VIP. Post Op appointment was again very informative. Dr Gatto is the best in my book. He has a great smile, great bedside manner and is a great surgeon. I am pain free and am experiencing zero back pain. He's the prize!
Respond

19/09/11 SYSTEM: 2 negative duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 1487462
15/07/11 5 5 5 5 I am an attorney who was treated by Dr. Gatto for severe back and leg pain. I found him to be gifted in determining the proper diagnosis and treatment. He was informative and caring. Dr Gatto is gifted and I am pain free due to his remarkable surgical talent. His staff is wonderful and a pleasure to deal with. I feel very lucky and fortunate that Dr Gatto treated me and i dont hesitate reccomending his office.
RID: 1450305
26/05/11 5 5 5 5 I'm a parent of a teenager who suffered back pain(sports-related)StressFractures&SlipDiscs for over 3 years. Other orthopedic doctors not able to diagnose or treat this correctly. His recurring symptoms in time became worse, so much worse that he had to be out of sports which were his life, but now couldn't even sit in a chair or stand for long periods of time. We switched to Dr. Gatto last year, he first tried treating him conservatively with PT and meds etc. He was very thorough. Extensive testing to properly diagnose and Dr. Gatto or Sara, PA always available to explain the situation/options to us, even spent countless time reanswering the same qstns I kept asking as an overbearing worried mom. Surgery done in Feb'11. No back pain to date and resuming normal activites, soon to go back to team sports as well. SO GLAD we went to him & trusted him. He has given my son his youth back. No long waits, bedside manner excellent, patience endless,never felt rushed, ignored or pressured!

RID: 1413990
12/04/11 5 5 5 5 I was very pleased with the thorough preparation and excellent care Dr. Gatto and his staff provided before, during and after surgery. Everything was explained clearly and the results were remarkable. I have recommended Dr. Gatto to several friends and will continue to do so!
RID: 1413873
12/04/11 5 3 1 1 All this guy knows how to do is give injections. Dr. Charlie Gatto operated on my mother in June, 2010 for several bulging disc that were pressing on a nerve and causing pain. After the surgery, my mother still suffered from the same problem, but now things had gotten worse. She was now not able to walk. All conplaints fell on deaf ears, because again Dr. Gatto only wanted to give more injections. After having enough of this guy, we consulted with another doctor for a second opinion; and found out on the very first visit that my mother's surgery was done in the wrong location (Shown on a MRI). She had to go through having surgery again, only this time the second doctor got it right and now my mother is pain free, able to walk and has her quility of life back. STAY AWAY FROM THIS GUY, IF YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOOD FOR YOU!!  Respond
RID: 1395910
24/03/11 5 5 5 5 Dr. Gatto was concise and appeared to be very knowlegable in specific concerns. He explained options and needs for addressing them simply and openly.
RID: 1385669
12/03/11 5 4 5 5 Overall very impressed. At first was disconcerted by his frequent talking into recorder since I had previous bad experience of a doctor doing this instead of paying attention to what I was saying. I then realized Dr. Gatto WAS listening to and paying full attention to me. He does sometimes talk fast, I realized this was because he was thinking fast. He struck me as being highly intelligent and knowledgeable.
RID: 1336688
14/01/11 5 4 5 5 I never thought I would be in a position to need back surgery and was dead set against having it until I met with Dr. Gatto. His expertise in his field and his conduct in our initial office visit soon convinced me. He explained everything and made sure all of my questions were answered, even leaving me to go see another patient so I could digest what he had said and think of more questions. I have never felt so comfortable about such a scary prospect and am truly grateful to him. I am extremely pleased with the results of my discectomy and am recovering nicely. His staff are professional and knowledgeable also. I would and have recommended him to anyone I hear of that is in need of his services.
RID: 1288761
08/11/10 5 4 5 5 I am not a patient of Dr. Gatto's but my mother is. She has undergone 3 surgeries with him and he has been kind, patient, attentive and caring through all of them. He went out his way to make himself accessible to me after the last surgery this past June when my mother suffered some complications after the surgery. The complications were not necessarily related to the surgery but Dr. Gatto made sure to continue to check in on her and update me regardless of what time it was. I feel that he is an excellent doctor who is very thorough, committed to his work and his patients.  Respond
RID: 1276802
21/10/10 5 3 5 5 Dr. Gatto is very precise and informative. He explains in detail in layman's terms. He has shown patience and compassion. His advice has been correct and useful. I have had three successful and useful operations with him. Outcomes were as explained and expected. I truly trust his opinions and would highly recommend him to others. His office staff is accommodating and helpful. His medical assistant and colleagues have been professional and knowlegeable. Dr. Gatto 'rocks'.
RID: 1270001
12/10/10 4 3 5 5 He did a great job. I felt very confident in his ability. Everything turned out the way he explained.  Respond
RID: 1264562
04/10/10 5 3 5 5 I have had two back surgeries by Dr. Gatto. He is an excellent surgeon and actually has a wonderful bedsisde manner. My wife is a nurse and scrutinizes all aspects of his care. Though "time" can be an issue, if you want the best you need to be patient and "wait" for the best....Dr. Gatto meets the criteria...
RID: 1214311
23/07/10 5 5 5 5 When I decided it was time for back surgery to correct the painful problem in my lower back, I choose Dr. Gatto. He was confident and made me feel confident that the surgery would help relieve my pain. He explained every thing in as much detail as needed. From the insurance clearances to scheduling appointments, the staff were fantastic, phone calls are returned! After the surgery (spinal fusion) I was always able to speak with the PA who works with Dr. Gatto. when I had a question or needed a prescription refill. I am only 12 weeks out of the surgery and would have never thought I'd be this pain free so soon. I attribute this to the fine work and skilled hands of Dr. Gatto.
Respond

23/06/10 SYSTEM: 2 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 1185173
08/06/10 5 5 5 5 Dr.Charles Gatto is a highly recommended outstanding surgeon and a compassionate person. I suffered 2 serious spinal cord injuries about 2 yrs apart and Dr.Gatto performed 3 extremely difficult surgeries to reconstruct my spine. Although I am disabled, without Dr.Gatto I would be far worse off. He has been named one of the top surgeons in America. That honor is most important in his case because his surgical specialty involves the spinal cord, a complex and unforgiving realm in which only a superior surgeon can enable a patient to discard a wheelchair and walk. A caring individual, Dr.Gatto always shows great concern. He listens attentively to me, studies my x-rays with singular intensity, praises progress, and offers encouragement & reassurance. He once told me that he decided to specialize in surgery involving the spinal cord because he could make a profound difference in patients' lives. Dr.Gatto certainly made a profound positive difference in my life.  Respond
RID: 1105240
13/02/10 5 4 5 5 I am making this comment for my father who was a patient of Dr. Gatto's 5 years ago and currently. I would recommend Dr. Gatto to other people because he helped and took care of my father and cured his back problem. At the time my father was 80 years old and had constant back pain (spinalstenosis) and had the operationby Dr. Gatto. He had physical therapy after and had no pain after approx. 6 months and was then released from Dr. Gatto's care. Dr. Gatto was patient with my parents with all their questions and anxiety. I have recommended Dr. Gatto to other friends that have had back problems and they were also statisfied with the diagnosis and service from Dr. Gatto.
RID: 1101522
09/02/10 5 4 5 5 I went to Dr. Gatto after numerous orthopedic surgeons had been unable to diagnose why I was suffering incredible pain, dropping things, and having my legs collapse. I liked him immediately. He’s a straight-talking, no nonsense guy who takes time with patients to answer their questions. Dr Gatto took my medical history and after going over all the X-rays and MRIs I brought with me asked if he could take a few more X-rays in his office. Within 10 minutes he had figured out what my back/spinal problem was. The X-rays he had taken were of me bent radically forward and backward instead of lying flat or standing up straight. When I was bent instead of lying flat for previous MRIs or X-rays 3 of my vertebrae jumped out of alignment crushing my spinal canal sporadically. Dr Gatto gave me my life back. He operated on me on January 14, 2004, and since then I’ve been able to run with my dog, go back to the gym and in 2009 at the ripe young age of 62 climb up a glacier in Norway!
Insurance: United Healthcare
RID: 1031196
11/11/09 4 3 5 5 Dr. Gatto is extremely knowledgeable which also makes him extremely sought after and busy. The office is better managing his time by not double and triple booking him anymore. The wait time over the years has significantly decreased. He has performed several emergency surgeries on me over the years with great success. He is very matter of fact which may seem abrupt to some. For more serious issues, his follow up and concern is genuine and above and beyond expectations. Willing to answer any questions you have, but you have to ask them. I wouldn't chose any other surgeon to operate on my spine! He prefers to try conservative treatment options first, which in most cases are very successful. You don't want a surgeon to jump to surgery as the first recommendation unless it is an emergency. Then you want someone who is going to do the right thing even if it means operating on you in the middle of the night after working all day. Great surgeon!
See Responses
RID: 915211
17/06/09 1 1 1 1 Back in Oct of 2007, I was having some kind of pain that I thought might have my back. During that visit,I asked him if the pain was coming from the hip since I initially started with groin pain.He said arrogantly,"It's not your hip"! trusting his expertise, I continued to see him for a different diagnosis every time and the answer was more cortisone shots done in a facility that he has ties with. The center was out of network but were told to ignore the bills and not to worry. After getting 5 bills for several thousands of dollars, his secretary only called us back after we threatened to get a lawyer. He's a very rude person and his greed has cost me almost 2 years of my life. I went to see a Dr Lombardi,same building , he told me right away what it was. I finally got an answer to Gatto's unsolved mystery.I have a Acetabular tear in my hip joint with FAI.If he wasn't so greedy and cared for his patient health instead of his wallet,my nightmare would have come to an end.Patients beware
Paid (or co-pay): $20
RID: 845315
28/03/09 4 2 5 5 I know this waitress who had 4 herniated disks in her late 50's. He operated on her and she is 100% cured--no pain. She thinks he is a God. Sounds like his bedside manner stinks, but that is not what she said. He saved her life. My hunch is if you need the best surgeon, he's your guy. If you need ongoing treatment, not your guy.  Respond
RID: 772250
24/01/09 5 4 5 5 i had a great experience when meeting dr gatto. he was honest, knowledgeable and straight forward. i had no problems with his bedside manner and he wasn't quick to schedule surgery for my spinal stenosis but instead agreed with me in trying the injections first.i will give update if i do opt for surgery.
RID: 637659
13/07/08 3 1 1 3 Dr. Gatto kept me waiting for 2 hours. I had 2 ruptured disks and it was quite uncomfortable to wait for this length of time. Once in his office, he didn't look at the MRI or X-rays, rather asked me to get off the table and try to touch my toes, to which he replied "you don't need surgery", which was not why I was there - I was in terrible pain and wanted some relief, wanted to understand why this happened to me, how long it would take to recover, would it happen again, etc. He handed me an RX for physical therapy and got up to leave - I asked him if he was going to even look at the MRI or X-rays. He sighed as if in frustration, opened them up, held them up for 10 seconds in the light, put them back in and again told me I didn't need surgery. Not only did he not help me understand what had happened to my back or how long it might take to recover, he spent no more than 4 minutes with me after I waited for over 2 hours to see him.  Respond
RID: 580474
01/05/08 5 3 5 5 Dr. Gatto performed surgery on my back and I have had an excellent result. No more pain shooting down my legs. He is sometimes running late, but I don't feel rushed once he enters the room. Before each appointment I jot down all my questions and he answers each one. Of course, he dictates while in the room, but when he talks to me he makes eye contact and doesn't appear to want to escape, as some physicians do. His office staff has been very responsive to my phone calls. Overall, I am happy with my results and feel Dr. Gatto is an excellent surgeon. I would not hesitate to recommed him.
RID: 570791
20/04/08 4 2 5 5 I went to 4 different ortho docs. Dr. Gatto was the only one that stuck by me and actually fixed my herniated disc. I had bone spurs,pinched nerve and hern. He gave me a combo of steroid inj. and did microdisc surg. yes you wait to see him but I am now pain free after suffering for almost 2 yrs. He is a good surgeon. You do have lengthy wait times in his office but I actually waited longer at some of the other ortho docs. I am pain free after 2 yrs. Very grateful to Dr. Gatto and his staff.
See Responses
RID: 570043
18/04/08 4 1 4 4 Although, Dr. Gatto probably means well, he is always overbooked with patients. It's always such a long wait. Today, I waited 1 hr. & 45 minutes. I had surgery with him, and I think he helped, but I am having some complications. I think he could care less. I felt rushed through the appointment, even though I had to wait so long. I feel extremely frustrated. He was very kind at the hospital, but after the surgery, I think he just wants to take care of new patients. My husband & I waited a long time for the last appointment also. I noticed a lady & her husband came in at least a half hr. after us, BUT she was taken first and seen by Dr. Gatto before me. I saw that she was being scheduled for surgery, so I guess since he already did the surgery on me, I was no longer worth it. I originally wanted to get the surgery done by another doctor, who was extremely caring & seemed very efficient, but he only worked out of St. Clare's. I wanted to go to MMH.  Respond
RID: 572150
17/04/08 2 2 2 4 He sucked. My husband was more distraught each time he had an office visit. I was only there the first time, but he doesnt answer any questions or give any info. He sucks.  Respond
RID: 564369
12/04/08 3 1 3 3 Going to Dr. Gatto was a HUGE waste of time. He advised me to have injections for pain control and when I reminded him I was not in pain he just looked at me-and yes, he dictated the entire time, looked exasperated when I asked him a question and obviously was not happy to be there. He really seemed miserable, so much so, that I kind of felt sorry for him.  Respond
RID: 561993
09/04/08 5 3 5 5 The word awesome doesn't even come to close to Dr. Gatto. He literally gave me my life back. We got beyond the "dictating thing" after my first visit and I found him to be extremely knowledgeable,thorough and an excellent surgeon. His staff was professional, friendly and very helpful.
Insurance: Oxford
RID: 513651
14/02/08 5 3 4 5 I visited Dr. Gatto for a herniated disc after leaving a former Dr. While you may have to wait in his office for long periods of time, it is not on every occasion, (welcome to Northern NJ.) I feel he is worth the wait. I left my former Dr. because I was never seen by him, but rather a physician's assistant. Dr. Gatto has seen me on every vist and never passed me off to someone else. I couldn't disagree more about his bedside manner. I felt he was extremely professional. He listened attentively to all my concerns and tried a conservative course of treatment beofore I finally had surgery. I was in search of a good surgeon, not someone to have dinner with. Being in pain is no fun and I feel for all of you who are suffering, but perhaps you are expecting too much from your Dr. He has many people he needs to help and all he hears are complaints. Also, his staff is WONDERFUL! They have been a tremendous source of support. I am much improved and grateful for his expertise.
RID: 455332
03/12/07 2 1 2 2 Dr. Gatto proved to be completely useless in repairing a simple herniated disc. No eye contact, no interaction and dictates the entire (3 min) visit. His skills are less than acceptable and perhaps he should humble himself and work under the shadow of a mentor which he surely needs. A lesson in humility wouldn't hurt either. Too many wonderful, skilled surgeons in the area to settle for Dr. Gatto.  Respond
RID: 451143
27/11/07 2 1 1 3 I waited nearly 2 hours to see Dr. Gatto after herniating 2 disks. I was in a great deal of pain. When I was ushered into his office, he did not even open my x-rays to look at the damage. He had me stand up and bend over to try and touch my toes and asked me if I had shooting pain. That was it. He never once looked at my face to speak, rather he dictated into a recorder about what he perceived my condition to be. I finally asked him after 5 minutes if he was going to even look at my films to which he replied "oh yeah", and took them out. He dictated several more sentences, handed me back my films and left the room. His office staff gave me an RX for physical therapy. I guess because I wasn't a candidate for surgery, he wasn't interested in helping me what happened to my back or how to help it heal. His bedside manner is abyssmal. He should have chosen a profession that involved tasks and not people. He does not show patients either compassion or respect.  Respond
RID: 426786
10/10/07 4 1 5 5 Dr. Gatto was late for my appointment, but he gave me a sincere apology, which I appreciated. I felt he was very thorough, and I think he really knows his stuff. He may have dictated notes, while I was in the room, but I had no problem with that. Isn't it better to take exceptional notes right away, before you forget to record something, like other doctors are known to do? He made plenty of eye contact and gave me a lot of time to answer my concerns.
RID: 422474
01/10/07 3 2 2 2 I don,t think so! Not very helpful. I did not feel that he really knew what he was saying. I don,t think he liked me when I said I did not want a injection. Before I knew anything he wanted to schedule me for three injections.
RID: 422412
01/10/07 1 1 1 1 give me a break. This was a two min exam and 5 injection waste of time. He does not know anything bryond the basics.  Respond
RID: 394897
30/08/07 3 1 2 5 Dr. Gatto may be very knowledgable in the field of spinal surgery, but his bedside manner is definitely lacking. I had to wait 2 hours in his office for my scheduled 2nd appointment. No explanion, and barely an apology was given. After spending the 2 hours waiting for him, he rushed me through the appointment in about 5 minutes. I couldn't really ask him anything, because he was busy dictating notes about my condition, while I visited with him. There are few spinal surgeons in the area, and it is a shame that he is lacking in personality. The office staff is just ok. You feel like they could care less, just like the doctor. Having problems with your spine is bad enough, it would really help if Dr. Gatto & his staff showed a little compassion.
RID: 391301
23/08/07 5 5 5 5 Very skilled surgeon. His manner is very matter of fact which may come off as brusque but he knows his stuff. Corrected an acute problem with a minimally invasive procedure. Had I not agreed to the procedure, I am convinced that I would have experienced disability and pain. Since the surgey, I have experienced no pain whatever.
RID: 412888
31/01/07 4 4 4 Great Doctor and staff. Willing to discuss questions and thoughts on treatment. Explains reasoning behind decision, not just providing prognosis.  Respond
RID: 49855
10/10/06 4 5 5 It took me 3 months to get an appointment with him. I spoke with my GP and other physical therapists and he comes highly recommended for spinal fusion surgery. He does seem rushed at times but he is all business. After my MRI, he told me the pros and cons of each type of procedure that could be done. Instead of using the "gold standard" of taking a graft from the iliac crest which can result in persistent chronic pain, he suggested using a protein-based bone graft substitute. I had the procedure done on 9/28/06. I had the staples removed on 10/7. I can walk erect with no pain in left leg. My right foot still has numbness as before the surgery. There is skin tenderness on the back and left and right hips, which he says was unusual but should fade away with time. I will update after next month's appt. P.S. He has been named one of the Top Surgeons in America for 2006.
RID: 41066
16/08/06 4 5 5 I found Dr. Gatto completely knowledgeable and more than willing to answer all my questions using my MRI films and models of the spine. I have read the privious ratings and do not agree with the "poor bedside manner" comments. He instills confidence because of his knowledge and came highly recommended. I will update after my surgery next week (8/23). Getting an first appointment was difficult, due to the fact that he is so busy, but when I got there, the staff bent over backwards to be helpful.  Respond
RID: 29858
08/05/06 3 3 5 I am a new patient of Dr. Gatto. While he is knowledgeable and has a specific treatment plan for my condition, his bedside manner is lacking. He speaks quickly, always appears to be in a rush, and acts distant. Very clinical in nature. Genuinely listening to a patient is something Dr. Gatto must pay more attention to.
RID: 14062
22/10/05 3 3 4 The jury is still out for me. While I find Dr. Gatto very knowledgeable his bedside manor needs a lot of work. And you need to have a lot of patience to work with his unresponsive office staff at every level.
Insurance: Oxford