You may also like

Rate Dr. Alan So

Dr. Alan So's Ratings

Superior to excellent doctor. He took my prostate out and controlled my cancer. 5 months later I am doing ok in terms of ED -not perfect but much better than I could have ever expected. I was dry on the second week and my wife had to throw out my diapers.
He is a nice guy like everyone says. But he s even a better surgeon.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2809162].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 16, 2015

It's sad that he works at a teaching hospital. Unable or unwilling to diagnose a incisional hernia from a nephrectomy. Sad for a guy making his living making incisions! Dismissing even the idea that a giant bubble in the middle of the incision could be a hernia. I would like to thank the doctor from South Africa for taking the 5 minutes and diagnosing me after two years of living with my intestines protruding from my side. I would like to thank Alan So for the mesh now covering my right side, muscle separation and problems for life from his incompetence!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2776339].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 14, 2015

DR So is a real Gentleman and professional Doctor , he did a prostate surgery for my father and he respects his patients with a good manner . Thank you Dr So and wish you all the best in life, Mo.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2710439].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 5, 2015

Dr. So is an amazing doctor, I was diagnosed with kidney cancer and I was in to see him and had my surgery within two months. Each visit I had with him he was polite and friendly and was actually early each time. Would highly recommend him and his wonderful office team.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2619953].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 14, 2014

Dr. So is extremely knowledgeable. He was instrumental in helping my mother and my with her bladder tumor caused by a metastisation from endometrial cancer. He explains things clearly and thoroughly, and backs his recommendations with information as well as other options for the family to consider. He is a solid specialist that I trust. He has wonderful bedside manner. His responsiveness to any questions or concerns (even calling long-distance) were oustanding and greatly appreciated. Wait times in offices were never long (15-20min) and the office staff were always responsive, courteous and professional. My family and I sincerely appreciate the care and attention he has given my mother through this unfortunately health challenge. I would not hesitate to recommend Dr. So.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2587364].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 21, 2014

In July 2014 I had my bladder removed by Dr. ALAN SO. My reflections on this :
1) Staff- called me for appointment after my GP called Dr. So. They said I was "URGENT" and got in very quick.
2) Dr. So. Wait in office about 15 min. Met him- a nice Asian chap- mature beyond his age with knowledge beyond anyone else......this took 15- 20min but I do not remember.
3) Surgery- tough - but went well. 6 days in hospital. Had a 'cath' left in for about 2 weeks. Dr. So made me a NEW BLADDER!
4) After: Dr. So called 2 weeks later- "ALL CLEAR - NODES NEGATIVE and MARGIN NEGARTIVE"- yippee!
5) Thanks to Dr. So, his team, and VGH!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2535327].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 13, 2014

I had retroperitoneal fibrosis for I had several surgeries beginning Jan 6. I cannot thank Dr. So enough. He did a fabulous job and am very pleased with Dr. So. I would recommend him to anyone. Thank you Dr.So.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2445371].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 14, 2014

So I'm not sure why there are so many positive reviews of Mr. So as the time I saw him he seemed to be quite two faced. he would beam a big smile but when I asked a few questions he began to roll his eyes, yes roll his eyes like a child, and became furious! To his credit he did try very hard to mask his reaction. it seemed like he simply didn't like me but that's how it always feels when you deal with a selfish bully. It was a completely odd sight to see this highly paid man revert to immaturity at public expense. I was in no way rude or unreasonable with my 4 different questions before he wanted me out of the office with his last response being that he nor did the science know the cause to my issues. He never became overtly aggressive but the wave of anger that rolled through his face was obviously surprising & disappointing. Bad day or bad guy? I'm not sure as I saw him the one time.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2445370].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 20, 2014

My visit was a follow up to a DRE for prostate issues. His resident, who was quite helpful, prior to me even setting eyes on Dr. So, did the DRE. My PSA count had been slightly high, and due to genetics, when Dr. So did appear, he had started the procedure to book me for a prostate biopsy. The discussion of this occurred in the boardroom next door, without me being privy to it. Poor bedside manner. Poorer yet was the description of the procedure - and I quote - "the ultrasound will be put up your bumhole" - really Dr So? Is that a term now used in medical school? Must be as he used it twice. Anus and rectum must be too complex for the general public. When I asked if there was any other alternative, he did not recommend or even mention the PCA-3 test. He also did not mention the myriad of reasons for false positives on PSA scores, including sexual activity, bike riding or a DRE up to 3 days before the PSA test, all of which I had done. This was poor and doctor driven health care.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1214912].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 24, 2013

Dr. So performed very difficult, lengthy and challenging surgery on me for a comparatively rare (one in every 200,000 people)problem called retroperitoneal fibrosis. In layman's terms, this is a fibrous growth which progressively interferes with the ureters. The operation was successful, and I will always be grateful to Dr. So. He is calm, friendly, extremely knowledgeable and candid with his advice. I was in great hands throughout.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1214911].votes_count ]]