Rate Dr. Tom Bowen

Dr. Tom Bowen's Ratings

I read the reviews before I took my son and was a bit nervous for him. Within minutes of meeting him and his staff I came to the conclusion that possibly only the bad experiences are the ones writing reviews. I did not expect the actual test to be pleasant and I was right, however from the reviews I also didn't expect the kind and funny doctor, Dr Bowen turned out to be! Within 30 seconds of him finishing the test he had my son in hysterical giggles doing a Donald Duck voice. He was to the point, but not without being friendly about it. So in my opinion he went above and beyond to make the experience as least traumatic as possible. His receptionist/aide was also very patient and caring towards my son!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1215922].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 8, 2013

Staff and doctor very abrupt. Poor bedside manner - Done this for way too long to come across as caring - does not explain "poking" procedure to me, the parent, or my child. Just repeated what I had told him the facts I already knew in his report that he wrote on his laptop while we waited. Did not suggest anything helpful. But, what is most frustrating is that before a second appointment, my child started vomiting the night before...so I called to explain and rebook. No. The policy is you pay $100 or get refused. They returned our file to the referring doctor so we are no longer patients.... What?? Because of the unexpected flu?? I would NOT recommend this conceited guy at all! There are other good ones out there, no doubt.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1215921].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 19, 2012

I took my 8 year old son in for his 3rd time being tested for nut related allergies. The first 2 times were uncomfortable for my son, as they required getting "poked" 60 times on his back by the little bug devices Doctor Bowen uses, but I recognized that the procedure was necessary nonetheless. This time however, Doctor Bowen had "revised" his technique, requiring me to hold down my son's arms while the nurse held down his feet. Then Doctor Bowen put the 60 serum drops on my son's back and proceeded to cut into the skin under each serum drop with the corner of a razor blade! My son was screaming and writhing through the torturous proceedure. I was absolutely mortified by this horrific experience!! THEN, when I asked about a specific reaction on my son's back, Doctor Bowen said "oh yah, that'll kill him for sure" right in front of my son! He's a bad doctor with ZERO bedside manner! I'll never go back to Doctor Bowen. I have booked a reassessment with Dr. Doctor instead.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1215920].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 22, 2012

Dr. Bowen's right hand girl, Lori, was very friendly, informative, warm and helpful. Quite refreshing for a visit to a specialist where the staff is often rude. I had to make a call to the office after my daughter's appointment and Lori was still wonderfully helpful. Dr. Bowen is a friendly man who looks a little like a skinny Santa, and comes across a bit eccentric. I found he doesn't entirely communicate clearly about the tests he's reading, which shook my confidence a bit. His bedside manner is somewhat cut and dry but I found if you ask questions, he does his best to answer. He doesn't baby his patients, and I had to laugh at the woman who complained here in another post that Dr. Bowen "gave her daughter 12 needles". He's an 'allergist'! How else is he supposed to test people?? But, I digress. My daughter will start allergy shots soon and I'll repost with how the serum he has prepared has helped her. So far, so good.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1215919].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 15, 2012

He saved our sons life - we will be forever grateful , he is a one of a kind .

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1215918].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 29, 2011

Dr. Bowen was very thorough and attentive. Yes you get "poked by needles" - this is what allergy testing is all about. He provided comprehensive testing and good advice. He does have an "all business, academic approach", which is good! I would recommend to others.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1215917].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 4, 2011

I was poked on my back with many, many needles....... But that is what he has to do! He is an Allergist! He was fantastic and had a great bed side manor. I would go to him again in a minute. The process was faster than promised and the report was very detailed and useful. Thank you Dr. Bowen

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1215916].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 2, 2011

AWFUL AWFUL experience. My poor little girl was poked TWELVE times. The thing that bothers me the most is that he never explained anything to me. He said he did in his evaluation/report, but what he said was, "I can do a skin test, a blood test, or no test, and I'll poke anything that moves." And he slammed the door. He returned with his needs in a cardboard box. I did not know what was in the vials/needles. I am literally SICK over this. I put my trust & faith in God and the fact that Dr. Bowen is an ethical man... I am still sick about this. My poor little girl was hysterical, and I am sick about the entire experience.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1215915].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 15, 2010

We were told by our local clinic (out of province) that it would be a year wait to get in to see Dr. Bowen. When he heard the severity of my husband's allergic reaction we had an appointment booked within a week. Dr. Bowen was very knowledgable and helpful. Though he was not able to pinpoint exactly what may have caused my husband's reaction (after a dental appointment)he is doing additional tests (bloodwork) to try and see if it can be pinpointed. We did have confirmation on what he is allergic to, unrelated to the dental. Dr. Bowen was also helpful in trying to be preventitive in future dental appointments and explained the use of the epi pen and other meds to carry at all times should another reaction occur. We were advised to not have any unneccesary dental work done that is not absolutely necessary. It was worth the travel to see him. All staff that we dealt with were friendly and helpful.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1215914].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 14, 2010

used 112 needles in my back....sent me to have blood test for 30+ things. Inhumane, diagnosed with anaphlaxis allergies to nuts, peanuts and shrimp..... also allergic to many more things. went to another allergist to find out his ways of breaking the skin and using the back for testing was all WRONG! Inncurate.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1215913].votes_count ]]