Rate Dr. Susan K. Bonar

Dr. Susan K. Bonar's Ratings

During my recent consultation with Dr. Bonar, I was deeply impressed with her intellect, presence, and thoughtful and thorough approach. Despite having graduated in the top five percent of her class at Yale Medical School (!!), Dr. Bonar was uncommonly grounded, gracious, and generous among physicians--not to mention surgeons. As a psychotherapist, I greatly appreciated Dr. Bonar's stance of asking probing questions, then listening attentively to my answers. In fact, I have rarely felt so heard and attended to within the medical community! Women employed in male-dominated professions face myriad additional hurdles, leading some to become (understandably) hardened. Not so Dr. Bonar, whose genuine empathy and compassion were palpable! I likewise resonated with Dr. Bonar's prudent, commonsense medical approach, in considering alternatives to surgery as a first resort. My situation is complex, as I appear to have diffuse nerve damage within my foot. I thus am beginning physical therapy via Dr. Bonar's referral, while simultaneously interviewing several other foot surgeons--a choice that Dr. Bonar wholly respected! While I have not yet made a final treatment decision, I feel an unusual sense of trust in Dr. Bonar's expertise. Dr. Bonar's office staff (radiologist technician Shannon and office manager Johnia) also were most caring and competent at their respective positions. In brief, while Dr. Bonar's office runs like a proverbial well-oiled machine, their treatment of me was anything but mechanical.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2698271].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 26, 2015

Run the opposite direction. Terrible bedside manner

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2543952].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 20, 2014

I needed surgery in both feet, and Dr. Bonar did an excellent job helping me to be pain free again. 10 yrs later, when one of my feet needed correction in a different area, I returned to her for help. She corrected the problem thru surgery and I am now pain free! I would recommend Dr. Bonar to anyone having orthopedic foot problems. I've been told by 2 other doctors who have worked with her that she is the best foot doctor in Kansas City, & the 4 state area for that matter. Kudos!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1221537].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 22, 2011

I had pain in my foot for 3 years and finally found help in Dr Bonar. I need to workout to keep my weight down but had to stop two months ago. I tried different shoes and inlays which didn't make much of a difference. Dr. Bonar recommended taping my toes together - this simple advice allowed my to resume my walking workouts! I really liked Dr Bonar's straight forward approach. She had great suggestions. Highly recommended.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1221536].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 25, 2011

If you want a caring and helpful doctor then look elsewhere. If you want to spend money and time then make an appointment. Unfortunately my experience was not a good one. Dr. Bonar met with me for about 10 minutes and I still had a few questions however she abruptly left proclaiming she had other patients waiting. She also seemed offended that I had questions off the Internet from the mayo clinic site. When I ask if cortisone injections would be good in my situation her reply was sure if you want to overmedicate and drug up yourself. She seemed to be in a hurry to see as many patients as she can. I was waiting almost 3 hours during my visit. It was a very sterile and unprofessional experience one that I will not miss.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1221535].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 27, 2011

I have been suffering with heel pain off and on for several years and not been able to find any solutions or relief. When I came in to see Dr Bonar she was very caring and knowledgeable about what was needed to help me get better. She offered me some solutions that at this point do not require surgery and I am grateful to her and her courteous staff for their profesionalism and care. I would highly recommend Dr Bonar!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1221534].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 14, 2011

Dr. Bonar treated my very tall, fast growing 11 year old son over the past 6 months for a diagnosis of a severe case of Sever's disease or calcaneal apophysitis which means an inflammation of the growth plate. My son participates in many sports but began having severe pain following football injuries to both ankles in successive weeks. I had heard very good things about Dr. Bonar including her great bedside manners and practical treatment. As you can imagine, both were very important in getting proper treatment for my son. Dr. Bonar and her staff were wonderful in working us in on short notice. She did a great job explaining the severity of the injury and stressing the importance to my young active son of following her recommendations. His injuries/condition required double casting of both legs for 3 months along with physical therapy. He is now doing wonderful! I would recommend Dr. Bonar for any type of orthopedic problems. I think she did a great job treating my child! She was awesome!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1221533].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 22, 2011

I had left heel and ankle pain for 9 months. After seeing another Dr. for the first part of my pain, my PT office referred me to Dr. Bonar. Dr. Bonar and her staff were very helpful through the process of casting, other treatments (brace), testing ( X-rays and MRI), surgery and recovery. I appreciated that she tried other things to avoid surgery. Now, I am 15 weeks out and I am pain free...I am very pleased with the end result. I have already referred others to Dr. Bonar.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1221532].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 7, 2010

Dr. Bonar and her highly-skilled staff were extremely helpful in providing treatment for my ailing feet. Due to extensive running and physical activity, I was experiencing nagging pain in both feet. Bonar’s excellent diagnosis and swift treatment plan left me pain free and enabled me up to participate in sports and running once again. Every staff member communicated deep concern for my well-being, and the positive atmosphere provided a very warm, personal touch. I could not be more thankful for the outstanding treatment I received, and I would never hesitate to recommend Dr. Bonar to anyone!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1221531].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 12, 2010

I am a firefighter and have had issues with my ankle where I couldn't find relief. Thanks to Dr Bonar I am pain free and doing much better. She and her staff are very caring and professional. I would highly recommend her to anyone having foot or ankle issues.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1221530].votes_count ]]