You may also like

Rate Dr. J.F. Chevalier

Dr. J.F. Chevalier's Ratings

If all Doctors were like Dr Chevalier the world would be a better place. He actually cares about his patients and their quality of life. I agree that the Punctuality isn't great, but there is good reason for it. My first appointment with Dr. Chevalier was right after he was called into an emergency surgery. After working a 12 hour shift he still made time for me. Kamloops is lucky to have Doctors like this.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2763056].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 31, 2015

I'd had pains in my lower back and right leg for a couple months, when one day after school the pain was so bad I couldn't even walk to my car without crying the entire way. Shortly thereafter I had a CT done at the hospital & I was diagnosed with a severely herniated disc (L5-S1) : a common injury, except that mine had herniated into my spine and was contacting both nerve roots, impinging on the right side quite badly. The standard wait time to see Dr. Chevalier is 3 months, but after a sharp decline in my strength & mobility, and a steady increase in pain, he agreed to see me a month early.
I didn't know what to expect, and was waiting anxiously, so of course I googled him to try and figure out what I was in for. I was convinced from these reviews that I'd need to prepare myself emotionally for some "tough love" or second rate bedside manner. But it couldn't be further from the truth.
At my first visit he examined me and reviewed the CT scan with myself & my dad, explaining what everything meant. He told me that I would need surgery and of course (being in the pain I was in) I agreed. He asked me if I had any plans (I was thinking in a week or two or three) and I said no. He got on the phone with RIH and put me on the emergency surgery list for the next day!! He'd actually treid to get me in that same day but the O.R.s were all booked up. I was absolutely floored. I couldn't thank him enough and his answer back to me was "Merry Christmas". Merry Christmas indeed!!! I did end up waiting a couple days (for good reason of course: other emergencies MUCH more severe - broken spines/paralyzed, brain injuries) but after 3 days on the wait list got a call that I'd be getting my surgery on the weekend. I was so excited & nervous at the same time. I arrived at RIH and the nurses prepped me for surgery then wheeled me into the OR. I must have looked like a deer in the headlights because Dr. Chevalier pulled a chair up beside my stretcher & started chatting with me which really helped distract me from everything else going on as nurses & dr.'s prepared for the surgery. Next thing I knew my IV was in and lights out. When I woke up my pain was almost all gone!! My surgery was booked for 2 hours but had taken almost double that as it was quite a mess in there. I had a microdisectomy & laminectomy (an outpatient procedure) but I ended up staying in the hospital for 2 days because of inflammation that flared up my pain. Dr. Chevalier came and visited me both days to check the incision & how I was doing. He was very kind & understanding even when I started blubbering on about silly Christmas stress (I hadn't slept for 3 nights). After a full nights rest I could not have been happier: I had a pain free Christmas with my family. :) The recovery is a little bit longer than I expected but I can't complain: if you're going for surgery DO make sure to arrange for a friend or family member to come help you around the house for a little while- mainly picking things up when you drop them, lifting heavy things and helping you put your damned socks on ha ha.
*Update: I thought my incision was infected & went to the hospital to get it checked rather than phoning Dr. Chevalier: I know he's very busy saving peoples lives so I din't think to bug him about this little problem. Well he was just getting out of a 12+ hour surgery and heard I was there and came in & checked it out himself. He ordered blood-work and insisted I come to his office within the next couple days. (This was on a Sunday). On Monday his receptionist phoned & booked me in for Tuesday. When I arrived she informed me it would be a little while- I said I had no problem waiting. I didn't wait more than 5 minutes (and I was 10 minutes early) before Dr. Chevalier saw me waiting and invited me into his office. He reviewed my blood tests with me explaining what everything meant, took a look at my incision & assured me all was well. He was VERY pleasent and seemed genuinely concerned about my health.

I'm VERY with the work Dr. Chevalier has done on my back and couldn't be happier that he was my surgeon. His receptionist Cathy was also VERY nice. I highly recommend.

P.S: A little note on punctuality: he was running late for my first appointment (about a half hour) but this was because he was checking in on patients at RIH. If you're the type of person that's offended if a doctor is late for an appointment because he's been busy saving someone's life then maybe you should book yourself into a private clinic in the states. This man is very busy and does his best to ensure quality of life for his patients and sometimes juggling is required. I have nothing but the utmost respect for him and the work he does.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2686876].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 16, 2015

My son was in a bad MVA and transported to Royal Inland Hospital. Although Dr. Chevalier and I didn't start off on the best terms in regards to "I'm still his mother" he ultimately ended up being a very nice man. Treated my son very well, and fused my sons c-spine with amazing hands. Only 1 day post surgery, he is up and walking like a trooper... Overall, I would recommend this Dr, as his patients quality of life is his priority

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1224314].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 22, 2012

Dr. Chevalier has been my Neurosurgeon of choice for a number of years, and has helped me immensely with my chronic pain and back issues. He and his receptionist Cathy, have always treated me very well and are always very friendly. He has been extremely helpful in trying to figure out different procedures that may benefit me. I have the upmost respect for him, and he is an amazing surgeon. I trust him wholeheartedy to perform any procedure on my back.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1224313].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 14, 2012

I celebrated my "second first birthday" on December 6, 2011. This was the 1st anniversary of my brain surgery - removing of a tumor. I was in best hands from the very beginning of this process, during my stay in hospital (daily visit) and with all the care after. Thank you to Dr.Chevalier and all of his team!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1224312].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 21, 2011

My boyfriend broke his back, T6-8, and spent 8 days in Kamloops hospital. Chevalier was supposed to come by within hours of our arrival at the hospital, and we did not see him till 3 days into the hospital stay. And when he arrived, he was rude, pompous, seemingly annoyed, and didn't let anyone say anything. I'd say he likes to listen to his own voice a little too much. When his spine was finally looked at Chevalier said he didn't want to do surgery. Months later at the 1st check up, he back tracked and said he should have done the surgery at the beginning. Months later at his 2nd check up, he arrived for his appointment, and the office staff rescheduled him without informing him, and they could not even confirm the appointment because they had their computers unplugged because of renovations. A reschedule would not have been that big of a deal, except the fact that he lives 7 hours away. Both him and his staff are unhelpful and unprofessional. NOT impressed.

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][1224311].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 17, 2011

Mid Dec., 2008 I was finally correctly diagnosed with a extra large Meningioma Brain Tumour. 3 surgeons turned down the oportunity of removing it, and Dr. J.F. Chevalier, notwithstanding the extreme size & time involved in excising the tumour, accepted me as his patient. He worked closely with my advocate and on Jan. 9, 2009, after a 12 hour surgical procedure, he & his team gave me back my life. Dr. Chevalier has gifted hands & an abundance of knowledge and abilities, making him an expert in this field. His "bed side" manner may leave something to be desired, but on the whole, he never failed me nor my advocate & family once. During follow-up visits, he answered all my questions thoroughly and helped me understand what had happened to me over that 30 year period. I am a walking tribute to his abilities, knowledge & extensive and ongoing trainings. I was fortunate - Dr. Chevalier was a blessing bestowed on me, without my knowledge. Thank you Dr. Chevalier & your team & staff.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1224310].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 4, 2011

I was diagnosed with a benign brain tumour in June 2009. He had his receptionist move up my appt twice, because of the seriousness of my situation. I was booked for surgery a week after I saw him. He took a hour and a half with my husband and I, explaining the situation and detailing the surgery. I ended up having a 9 hour surgery. He saw me everyday of the week I was in the hospital. I would not hesitate at all to recommend this doctor - he was awesome!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1224309].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 12, 2011

I was very disappointed after 24 months of waiting to see this Doctor. I was diagnosed after a MRI that I had Spinal Stenosis as well as 3 other things. When I saw Dr. C. He put his head down and shook it back and forth and said that MRI's don't tell you anything. After we talked then he looked at my Scan and realized that I have 4 things wrong with my back including Spinal Stenosis. Then he started back tracking. He also seems to have a problem with over weight people. (I'm about 25 lbs. overweight) Talked about having a new baby and how his wife is doing the babies room. At the end of the appointment we went to the outer office and he looked down at his feet and said you have to be in my shoes to know how much pain some people are in. In other words I didn't matter much. That is how I felt when I left there. Waiting to see another Dr. who has a very good rating.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1224308].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 16, 2011

great doctor. he and i agree on a variety of subjects. i was glad he chose to prescribe generics rather than expensive name-brand drugs. he doesn't **** you either which I like. When you are in a rough situation you need real answers and not fluff to make you feel better. My situation sucked but Chevalier did what he could to help me through. thanks doc

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1224307].votes_count ]]