Rate Dr. Peter Hawrylyshyn

Dr. Peter Hawrylyshyn's Ratings

I was referred to Dr. Hawrylyshyn by my family doctor. He's a very busy doctor but took time to answer all my questions and concerns. Very helpful and knowledgeable. From my pregnancy to my surgery he made me feel better and relaxed. Thank you Dr. Hawrylyshyn for taking care of me and my baby during my full term pregnancy visit and for doing a great job for my surgery.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2483055].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 20, 2014

I was referred to Dr. Hawrylyshyn with my first pregnancy by my family doctor. He is a great doctor, with lots of knowledge. He makes you feel better and if you have questions, he answers them. The wait times are a little long but it is easy to book an appointment/follow up with him and his staff are friendly and efficient. He was not present to deliver my baby but his associate Dr. Bernstein was, but we didn't mind. I was supposed to be induced at 38 weeks and were eager to. He wanted me to go further because everything looked great but when they detected I had low amniotic fluid and we requested an induction, he booked me for that weekend. He was attentive and made me feel better. I am looking forward to seeing him for our 2nd baby.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1230733].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 10, 2013

I was referred to Dr. H for my first pregnancy and absolutely loved him. Yes, he is very busy and in and out during appointments but if I ever had questions or concerns, he took the time to answer them for me. He event remembered a medication I was on and saw a commercial for a lawsuit against in one night and did tons of additional research on the affects of it for me. I was very stressed out during my pregnancy and had to make an emergency trip to him office one day and he promptly saw me and helped me out. Although he was not there for the delivery (c section) of my son, Dr. Lyons from his office was. After having Dr L deliver my baby, it made me appreciate Dr H much more as L was brash and didn't seem to take me seriously although I was in labour! I had to stay at Mt Sinai for three days, and Dr H came in on a Sunday (his day off) as he was walking by and wanted to check in on my son and myself. I thought that was really kind of him. I am 100% going back to him for my 2nd.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1230732].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 31, 2013

Had a normal pregnancy. Dr Hawrylyshyn was good – he is quick and busy, he does not gush, but does take the time to answer all of your questions. Dr. Hawrylyshyn was not available to deliver my baby, so I cannot speak to that. One thing though, the doctor that did deliver my baby told me Hawrylyshyn favors episiotomies, so be aware of this if you don’t want one. Post birth I asked for a two week follow-up, rather than six and Hawrylyshyn’s office accommodated. He noticed excess bleeding and sent me for tests which revealed a hematoma that had to be surgically removed. I ended up having to be seen biweekly 12 weeks post-natal, and Hawrylyshyn was very effective in ensuring I regained my health. Only drawback – I also had some breastfeeding issues and he is not as knowledgeable in this area. We had to keep it to the waist down and I went to a clinic for more info on breastfeeding.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1230731].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 22, 2013

This doctor does not care about your well-being, he is self-absorbed and incompetent. I had some heavy discharge a couple of weeks after I had my amniotic fluid test and I told him about it during the visit. I was 23 weeks pregnant at that point. He said that it's normal and I will have tons of discharges during my pregnancy. He did not look at me, he did not do any tests of the discharge fluid. My water broke the next day and I lost my healthy baby boy. Later, I found out that if I was tested and put on bed rest right away, there was a good chance that I would carry to term. At my next visit, he told me that it was my fault that I lost the baby because I've chosen to do the amniotic fluid test. What a compassionate man! I have a friend who had preeclampsia, developed very high blood pressure (over 200)and had to go to emergency room to get admitted to the hospital because Dr.H would not sign her ST Disability papers. My advice - stay away from this doctor!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1230734].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 8, 2013

I had Dr.H as a recommendation from my sister in law who had 2 amazing pregnancies and births. I wanted to deliver at Mount Sinai so he was a perfect choice. I met him at my 12 wk appointment. 3 days prior to that I began spotting and went to the ER and was told that everything seemed ok and just to see my Dr. I told him about this and he didn't have much concern, understandable so because many women spot during their 1st trimester. I went for my ultrasound and the technician asked if I had experienced any pain. I told her about my visit to the ER and she asked to see my report. Shortly after she told me to return to Dr.H and that they were waiting for me. We went back and they took us in fairly quickly even though there was a line up of pregnant women. He was somewhat compassionate and explained that I had to miscarry. He gave me 4 misopristol pills to pass the fetus at home, inside an envelope with an instruction sheet. TO BE CONTINUED....

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1230730].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 17, 2012

Dr.H was the OB I was assigned for my first pregnancy in 2009. 2.5 yrs later I still get upset thinking back at my experience with him and this is why I have decided to write this. During my 2nd trimester I received a call from Dr.H saying that I had a shortened cervix. I was told to go to the hospital right away and the on-call OB would perform a cerclage. He did not tell me much more than that. Naturally, I was scared and felt that I had no other choice. The on-call dr luckily, took the time to explain the procedure and wanted to make sure I was making an informed decision. She supported my decision to hold off on the cerclage. Dr.H was not happy about this and accused me of disobeying him. He refused to care for me if I did not get the cerclage. I had to remind him that he was responsible for me and my unborn child's health until I find another OB. In my opinion this man should not be practicing as his pride and ego has gotten in the way of proper medical care.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1230729].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 1, 2011

Dr.H delivered our 1st baby last Feb (2010). I had a different OB at first who was not understanding and it was her way or no way. I switched to Dr.H and could not have been happier. His office is busy, so is he. But he will answer your questions even if he's rushing. I know every mother wants to feel important (especially with their 1st baby), but you are not the only one out there waiting for the appt and we can all thank OHIP for the lack of drs. Dr.H changed his vacation day to deliver our baby via planned c-section - what more could someone ask for. He's great. And whether or not he thinks of me as a # or he genuinely recognizes me, he loves his work, he's amazing at what he does and to err is human and you can tell he tries his absolute hardest to not err at all. His personality and humor is not for all, but his expertise and knowledge makes him one of the best out there. He's good at his job. He is considered a 'genius' in his field and is highly respected by drs and patients.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1230728].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 30, 2011

Prior to my visit today, I read all the posts and was especially concerned given the most recent ones. I can reassure you that Dr. Hawrylyshyn is not at all as presented in the last two posts. Yes he did not introduce himself when he entered the room - however, his level of expertise and knowledge far outweighed his lack of introduction. He was very thoughtful and took his time with me. He thoroughly explained everything to me and eased my mind. I cannot say enough about him. He did not rush me - took his time and only ended our visit after he asked me if I had any other questions or concerns. I am very pleased and happy to be his patient!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1230727].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 30, 2011

Dr Hawrylyshyn delivered my son dec 2/2009. When he came in the room he just started talking and doing his thing. Didnt bother introducing himself, I guess he assumed everyone knows who he is. I was induced on my due date. I have small pelvis so it was tight fit either way. He had me delivering for longer then he should have. If it wasnt for me saying i wanted a csection he would have allowed me to continue, even though I had meconium. He was a horrible doctor. I had an infection cause this dr refused to shave me before csection.My incision didnt all heal properly. One part of it remained open and 11 months later I had to have day surgery to fix this drs mistake. My Dr Barkin did everything possible to help me. He was a great dr and I hope that Dr Barkin will perform my next csection. The whole reason why my incision didnt heal correctly was because there was a clump of hair and possibly a stitch inside. All because this dr was in a rush.This dr gives Mount Sinai a bad name.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1230726].votes_count ]]