Rate Dr. Jacob Karsh

Dr. Jacob Karsh's Ratings

Dr. Jacob Karsh is an excellent doctor. He is highly knowledgeable in the field of rheumatology with years of research, teaching, and clinic experience. His patient care is exemplary. Through being supportive, kind, and calming, he somehow normalizes these devastating diseases. He communicates clearly and has true empathy for his patients. He is responsible in treatment plans recognising the unique requirements and responses of individual patients. The staff at the clinic are always very helpful and respectful.

Submitted March 12, 2014 | flag

I enjoy my visits with Dr. Karsh. We normally go over my test results and medications, speak openly about my health status, how my treatments are progressing and he takes time to explain things and answers my questions whenever he can. We also discuss research and upcoming medications sometimes. He always shares a smile. :)

Submitted Aug. 15, 2013 | flag

I saw Dr. Karsh for an uncommon and atypical autoimmune condition which is always fatal without treatment. I needed straightforward information on mortality rates in order to make informed treatment decisions. Dr. Karsh was reluctant to give me straightforward information and appeared to resent having an informed patient. Perhaps some of his patients, the majority of which appeared to be elderly persons with rheumatoid arthritis, welcomed his old-fashioned, reassuring, minimizing, "doctor knows best" manner, but I found it patronizing and condescending. I found another rheumatologist who provided me with recent studies indicating that I had a 50% chance of surviving one year with a certain treatment option, but a 70-90% chance with another. This is the kind of information Dr. Karsh should have given me. I'm sure he was very knowledgeable - why not share that knowledge with the patient?

Submitted July 4, 2013 | flag

I find the front staff to be rude and appear very unhappy in their jobs. Dr. Karsh is always timely and pleasant but I feel as if I am seeing a pharmacist not a doctor, he prescribes me costly medicines and marks off blood work. Dr.Karsh never explains my last visit blood test nor does he spend time assessing my joints. We never talk about the side effects of the costly drugs I take and any other therapies that might benefit my quality of life. My last doctor was very throughout and holistic something Dr. Karsh is not.

Submitted Nov. 5, 2012 | flag

What do you rate a specialist- who costs tax payers a hefty amount- who does not take the time to study your chart prior to seeing you? 18 months after my first visit to him, I was hoping he is my saviour, and he is going to detrmine my problems and help me; but, I regret to tell you that all he said was "I don't know what is wrong with you". I know that the more you explain to your Doctor about your pains and how they originate, the more clues you will give him. He was not in a mood to hear my problems, all he said "I will send the report to your Doctor".

Submitted Aug. 2, 2012 | flag

Dr. Karsh is an excellent rheumatologist. Very kind and helpful. We are lucky to have him in Ottawa.

Submitted Sept. 5, 2011 | flag

Dr. Karsh is a very kind person and he is knowledgeable. He certainly cares but I question his effectiveness. I went to see him when I had an emergency one day and he had no idea what to do. Very disappointing.

Submitted Dec. 6, 2010 | flag

Dr. Karsh is an excellent doctor. Kind, caring, excellent bedside manner.

Submitted April 19, 2010 | flag

Been seeing Dr. Karsh for 20 years. He is hands down the best rheumatologist in Ottawa. Great bedside manner, kind, and extremely knowledgeable. Also willing to double-check other doctors' diagnoses if needed ... has everything he needs at his disposal at one of the top hospitals in the country.

Submitted March 20, 2009 | flag