You may also like

Rate Dr. Winston Gittens

Dr. Winston Gittens's Ratings

Dr.Gittens saved my life...Feb 5 1990 I was 17 ,got hit by a Van in Surrey he preformed brain surgery on the left side of my brain to releave pressure...I had other VERY serious injuries... I thank you Dr. Gittens for giving me another chance at life....I'm now 43 have 2 kids 18 and 21 and living a normal live

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2764386].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 2, 2015

I was sent to Dr. Gittens by my family doctor back in 2004, after a friend paid for me to have an MRI done in 2004, after my arms went dead when I was cutting up some kindling for his fire place, which showed that the vertebrates in my neck were cutting into both my spinal cord and the nerves in my neck.

As such after looking at the MRI Dr. Guttens told me that I was gone to need surgery as soon as possible and when he explained to me why I agreed. So he then made an appointment to have the surgery done at Eagle Ridge Hospital in Coquitlam, BC. However after I awake after having the surgery Dr. Gittens told me that he was unable to do the complete surgery as he did not notice all the damage in my neck in the MRI so he ended up having to quite do it.

He then told me that after seeing all the damage that he felt that he would have to go through the back of my neck to do the surgery, where he would remove the backs of the vertebrates. However said he was going to fuse my neck, as the muscles in my neck would protect it.

So I told him I wanted to think about it. I also told Dr. Gittens when he ask me how I hurt my neck, that I believed I hurt it during a bad parachute jump I had while I was serving with the Canadian Airborne Regiment back in 1976. As at that time I had been given a parachute that had been packed wrong which in turn caused me to have a bad exit from a C 130 aircraft that caused my feet to become entangled in my parachute lines, which in turn caused me to hit the ground head first.

So I told him that I was applying for a Disability Pension through Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) and I ask him if he would send in a letter to support my claim, which he said he would do. However when he sent in his letter he state in it that if the injury to my neck happened the way I said it did them it was certainly possible that it could have caused my neck injury. Because a small percentage of people go on to have this kind of injury, after that kind of accident. Subsequently therefore, I think it is caused by old age. And as such I was turned down for my VAC Disability Pension.
So Shame on you Dr. Gittens, as how could you make such a statement. How many people do you know that ended up landing head first during a landing after jumping out of an airplane.

I also could not get him to committee to a date for me to have the second surgery after I agreed to going for it. And as such I then ended up having to wait from July of 2004 till September of 2010 to get the operation done by another Neurosurgeon, who was able to do the job right, so that my neck is a great deal better. Which I feel was a stroke of luck, as the second Neurosurgeon went though the front of my neck and put in two plates, which I believe would have been better them the way Dr. Gittens intended on doing it. As such the truth is I feel Dr. Gittens may have been a good surgeon at one time in his life, however, I believe is now to old and forgetful and as such he should be no longer be able to do surgeries nor practice or teach surgery.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2724323].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 17, 2015

Dr. Gittens is an absolute lifesaver/changer. I was injured while expecting my second baby and he and his staff cared for myself (family) amazingly well. He was the silver lining to an 8 week cloud that left me confined to bed and unable to care for myself or my then 2 year old. He took my case over after about 6 weeks of question marks and turmoil from another team and very quickly recognized that I had one of the biggest herniated discs he's seen and that I would need surgery immediately. As I was pregnant this had to follow the birth of our child and once born, Dr. Gittens and his team had me booked within 2 weeks to have surgery and even took steps to have my newborn stay in a private room with me so that I could care for / feed her. After a challenging and disabled 12+ weeks, Dr. Gittens shone a bright light into the lives of myself and my family and had me on the road to recovery to care for my children and walk / care for myself within two weeks of delivering. I would trust Dr. Gittens with the care of my family / friends without hesitation, he is the best and his team is very warm and personable and make you feel valued and important to them. Thank you Dr. Gittens for taking my health into your hands and fixing me up, you changed my life and anyone you touch will be better for it. God bless you and your family.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2559970].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 1, 2014

This doctor did not believe me. I could not sit or lie down due to 10/10 electrocution pain. I was sitting on ice packs in my car and carrying a cooler with me everywhere I went. Instead of sending me to the only neurosurgeon in Vancouver who releases nerves, he sent me to an incompetent pain specialist. I was given improper drugs and was brushed off. I do not trust him at all. I needed nerve blocks 'Stat' and he did not order them. Why not? Bring an advocate with you.I feel he is a man that does not respect women. I am educated and he let me down. I could have died.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1239618].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 10, 2013

My son had a non-cancerous tumor on his brain stem. It was growing and impacting his speech and physical mobility. Surgery was required to halt (and reverse) the worsening disability. The surgery took close to 7 hours, leaving severe trauma. Recovery was projected to be one year or more. With patience, determination and a lot of distress and frustration, my son worked at his recovery for 2 years. Is is now permanently disabled and physically unable to do his job. He is unemployed. He has never had a day as good as the one before the surgery and probably never will. The surgery was a failure, it did more damage than it cured. This fact has never been admitted by the neurosurgeon, who has ceased to see my son. 2 years have gone by and there has been no admission of the true outcome of surgery and no offer to admit to, or treat the problem. My son cannot throw and catch a ball, play his guitar or do the job for which he trained for 4 years.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1239617].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 21, 2012

well i had a bilateral L5 S1. the surgery part went very well, he is one of the best surgeons so i have heard. and its been 7 months now and i have very little pain, mainly just muscle pain from waiting two years for the surgery. now that being said, ill move towards his receptionists. absolutely now people skills, has flat out lied to my face on a number of occasions as my mom was standing right there beside me as a witness. try phoning and get no answer? well that was the case for me and my family Dr's receptionist for months at a time. winston himself is an excellent surgeon but he deffinately needs all new staff!!! and as for being bumped for patients that pay cash, well get used to it because 9 out of ten surgeons are in it for the money not personal satisfaction. and our system allows them to be this way! so overall i was happy with his work but i still havnt been able to get to follow up due to his incompetent staff. thus leaving me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1239616].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 25, 2010

i saw dr gittens many times my problem was back and leg pain at the L5 S1 level he kept telling there was nothing wrong just muscle strain and he reported same to wcb. the pain kept getting worse and when i saw him again he said it was something new although the pain and where it radiated to was exactly the same. spent 6 years with ever increasing pain finally the disc shattered and i saw a wonderful dr who did the surgery but because the disc shattered i was left with nerve damage the poor surgeon had to pick up the pieces what was most insulting was when i was in the hopital guess who walked in the room dr gittens who ignored me i wish i could sue his ass

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1239615].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 17, 2010

It took a long time to get in to see him. He spent less than 5 minutes with me and ordered more tests, which he didn't explain to me at all. It took my doctor and physio, despite repeated calls, 7 weeks to send a report, which they said told them nothing really. I was sent to the physicians specialty clinic in Vancouver. They were very helpful, knowledgeable, and had a good bedside manor there.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1239614].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 21, 2010

Fantastic surgeon with an upbeat personality (very rare). Staff have become more available and very helpful. An odd thing to say, but if I was to have a recurrant brain tumour, I can only wish that Dr.Gittens is still in practice. I know I'm safe in his hands! Thanks so much Dr.'G' & your staff as well. from KC

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1239613].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 22, 2010

Winston has seen me over the past 25 years for back and neck degeneration. He is right to the point and shows me what and where my problems are and discuss my options in depth. He has all of my info on his laptop that is on his desk including CT Scans,Xrays and MRI.Maybe you think he isn't looking at you while he is with you but he is looking at all that info at the same time. The office has moved upstairs now and is much more comfortable and spacious. As far as the women that work for him go , I don't know them but they are like the rest of this medical system in B.C.,,,,Overburdened and Overworked. I can make my way through it all because I know I am going to be seen by the very best. Winston is very respected worldwide and we should be happy he puts up with this medical system and government as he could have worked anywhere !!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1239612].votes_count ]]