Rate Dr. Winston Gittens

Dr. Winston Gittens's Ratings

This doctor did not believe me. I could not sit or lie down due to 10/10 electrocution pain. I was sitting on ice packs in my car and carrying a cooler with me everywhere I went. Instead of sending me to the only neurosurgeon in Vancouver who releases nerves, he sent me to an incompetent pain specialist. I was given improper drugs and was brushed off. I do not trust him at all. I needed nerve blocks 'Stat' and he did not order them. Why not? Bring an advocate with you.I feel he is a man that does not respect women. I am educated and he let me down. I could have died.

Submitted April 10, 2013 | flag

My son had a non-cancerous tumor on his brain stem. It was growing and impacting his speech and physical mobility. Surgery was required to halt (and reverse) the worsening disability. The surgery took close to 7 hours, leaving severe trauma. Recovery was projected to be one year or more. With patience, determination and a lot of distress and frustration, my son worked at his recovery for 2 years. Is is now permanently disabled and physically unable to do his job. He is unemployed. He has never had a day as good as the one before the surgery and probably never will. The surgery was a failure, it did more damage than it cured. This fact has never been admitted by the neurosurgeon, who has ceased to see my son. 2 years have gone by and there has been no admission of the true outcome of surgery and no offer to admit to, or treat the problem. My son cannot throw and catch a ball, play his guitar or do the job for which he trained for 4 years.

Submitted June 21, 2012 | flag

well i had a bilateral L5 S1. the surgery part went very well, he is one of the best surgeons so i have heard. and its been 7 months now and i have very little pain, mainly just muscle pain from waiting two years for the surgery. now that being said, ill move towards his receptionists. absolutely now people skills, has flat out lied to my face on a number of occasions as my mom was standing right there beside me as a witness. try phoning and get no answer? well that was the case for me and my family Dr's receptionist for months at a time. winston himself is an excellent surgeon but he deffinately needs all new staff!!! and as for being bumped for patients that pay cash, well get used to it because 9 out of ten surgeons are in it for the money not personal satisfaction. and our system allows them to be this way! so overall i was happy with his work but i still havnt been able to get to follow up due to his incompetent staff. thus leaving me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Submitted Nov. 25, 2010 | flag

i saw dr gittens many times my problem was back and leg pain at the L5 S1 level he kept telling there was nothing wrong just muscle strain and he reported same to wcb. the pain kept getting worse and when i saw him again he said it was something new although the pain and where it radiated to was exactly the same. spent 6 years with ever increasing pain finally the disc shattered and i saw a wonderful dr who did the surgery but because the disc shattered i was left with nerve damage the poor surgeon had to pick up the pieces what was most insulting was when i was in the hopital guess who walked in the room dr gittens who ignored me i wish i could sue his ass

Submitted Nov. 17, 2010 | flag

It took a long time to get in to see him. He spent less than 5 minutes with me and ordered more tests, which he didn't explain to me at all. It took my doctor and physio, despite repeated calls, 7 weeks to send a report, which they said told them nothing really. I was sent to the physicians specialty clinic in Vancouver. They were very helpful, knowledgeable, and had a good bedside manor there.

Submitted June 21, 2010 | flag

Fantastic surgeon with an upbeat personality (very rare). Staff have become more available and very helpful. An odd thing to say, but if I was to have a recurrant brain tumour, I can only wish that Dr.Gittens is still in practice. I know I'm safe in his hands! Thanks so much Dr.'G' & your staff as well. from KC

Submitted March 22, 2010 | flag

Winston has seen me over the past 25 years for back and neck degeneration. He is right to the point and shows me what and where my problems are and discuss my options in depth. He has all of my info on his laptop that is on his desk including CT Scans,Xrays and MRI.Maybe you think he isn't looking at you while he is with you but he is looking at all that info at the same time. The office has moved upstairs now and is much more comfortable and spacious. As far as the women that work for him go , I don't know them but they are like the rest of this medical system in B.C.,,,,Overburdened and Overworked. I can make my way through it all because I know I am going to be seen by the very best. Winston is very respected worldwide and we should be happy he puts up with this medical system and government as he could have worked anywhere !!

Submitted Nov. 11, 2009 | flag

Dr Gittens helped my son with a bilateral distectomy L3,4,5. It took a 2 years to get the operation but in todays time table i guess that's not bad. as far as knowledge i think only a Dr is qualified to anwer this as far as i am concerned he is great and knows what he is doing. As far as his staff that another area. They are either overworked or just don't have people skills.

Submitted Nov. 5, 2009 | flag

Dr.Gittens saved my life 3 years ago, removing a brain tumor. Incredible surgeon, with a fantastic bedside manner. I can only hope that if I have any tumor's return, that he's still available for surgery. Some people take for granted the expertise/knowledge/skills/education and caring concern doctors have. It must be such a fantastic feeling knowing that you've saved someone's life. Wow! Please pass on your Knowledge Dr.Gittens. Thanks again, from "KC" in Coquitlam.

Submitted Oct. 22, 2009 | flag

Dr. Gittens I feel is only interested in getting a patient into surgery and not caring about the outcome. I know he is a surgeon but what about what happens after the surgery. He has been no help with helping us deal now with the complications my husband has been dealing with. We are left to wonder what next? What should we be doing? His new secretary was extremely clueless and very unhelpful. Needless to say we have seen Dr. Lee in emergency as an on call doctor and like him a whole lot better!! Needless to say we would like a second opinion.

Submitted Oct. 9, 2009 | flag