Rate Dr. Lynne Murfin

Dr. Lynne Murfin's Ratings

Dr Murfin is the most compassionate doctor I have ever encountered. She listens and probes in a way that enables her to diagnose and describe back my issues.... Her knowledge and experience then set me off on a path to recovery. I feel supported and well cared for. After 8 months of seeing her I'm feeling markedly re-energised. I feel so much better than I have in years. It's taken my own effort also to follow her advice changing key respects of nutrition ... Advice that's clearly spot on and scientifically meaningful.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2630897].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 24, 2014

Dr. Murfin has given me my life back. I feel better at age 50, than I did in my 30's, thanks to her. She is kind, compassionate, highly trained in both traditional and functional medicine; and very smart. For years I experienced chronic fatigue and frequent infections. Dr. Murfin identified the underlying causes for my lack of energy and stamina, and my poor immunity. The first year under her care brought dramatic improvements in my health and overall well-being. Since then she has helped me maintain my health and identify the areas that I can focus on to prevent disease and remain vibrant into my senior years. Dr. Murfin has an amazing capacity to pull together the threads from one's medical history and various tests to identify underlying causes of disease processes. Initially, I was concerned about my ability to pay the fee for service at her clinic. But, the results have spoken for themselves. I consider it money well-spent. With Dr. Murfin, the testing conducted is evidence based; and, any supplements or treatment suggested is tailored to the individual's actual genetics and biochemistry. Also, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the cost of all visits and any tests recommended are eligible to be claimed as medical expenses to Revenue Canada.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2603492].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 2, 2014

I have been under Dr. Murfin's care for close to 3 years now. To say that she has made a big change (for the better) to my overall health would be an understatement. In my experience, Dr. Murfin is a consummate professional: articulate, and a very good listener who keeps herself ahead of the curve when it comes to integrative medicine. As someone who works in an office and suffered from chronic fatigue and weight gain, I found it difficult to find a doctor who would take my issues seriously. Getting to the point of feeling truly healthy again has been a long process and it has not been cheap. But it has been well worth the time and the investment. I have never had an issue with punctuality or the clinic staff - everyone is very friendly and professional.

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][2597386].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 28, 2014

Seeing Dr. Murfin was my first experience with functional medicine. I'll give a detailed write-up of my experience and hopefully anyone reading this can make their own informed decision about whether functional medicine is for them. I first called Dr. Murfin, upon referral from another health care provider as I was suffering from chronic joint pain, a knee injury that wasn't healing well and had suffered 2 miscarriages. It was a 3 month wait to get an initial appointment and subsequent appointments were difficult to schedule as well as her office is very busy. During the 3 months I waited, my symptoms got worse. My first appointment with Dr Murfin was $450. I had another the next week for a full physical. The bill after that appt was $5,500 which included the appointment cost and several diagnostic tests she ordered with several labs (mostly in the US). I also had bloodwork covered by AHC. The shipping charges on the samples I sent to the US was over $250. I waited 2 months for results and a follow up appointment. In the interim Dr Murfin put me on an "anti-inflammatory" elimination diet. It eliminated (among other things): dairy, gluten, caffeine, sugar/sweeteners, alcohol, yeast, vinegar, red meat, high glycemic fruits/vegetables, non-organics, tap water. Microwaving food/eating leftovers or frozen foods were also discouraged. I was pretty religious about this diet for 12 weeks. My symptoms got much worse while on this diet and I developed new symptoms (I developed severe gastrointestinal problems in addition to the increasingly worse inflammation/joint swelling and chronic pain). My symptoms were very bad - to give you a perspective, I could not take the lid off a bottle of milk, couldn't pick my baby up from her crib, couldn't tie my shoes, couldn't get out of the bathtub, etc. When my results came in, Dr Murfin's diagnosis was adrenal fatigue and a significant gluten intolerance. She prescribed several vitamins, supplements, and hormones and told me I had to stay gluten-free forever. I had to put together an excel spreadsheet to track everything I was to take at various times of the day. The monthly cost was $600. There were approx 15 different things I was taking every day. I developed side effects to some of the supplements that were quite severe. When I emailed Dr Murfin's office (which she told me was her preferred communication method) to ask what to do about this, it took 3 full days (midweek) to get a response. In the meantime, I was also seeing my Family Doctor. He was surprised at some of the treatment courses recommended by Dr. Murfin. He was finally able to get me into a rheumatologist. My diagnosis is rheumatoid arthritis. This is a disease that is progressive and very important to diagnose and treat early as the longer it goes, the more joint damage will occur and high levels of inflammation caused by RA are harmful (not to mention painful). I had 3 separate health care professionals: a rheumatologist, a family doctor and a Dr of Chinese medicine review all of the results of the testing I did with Dr. Murfin. The unanimous consensus of all 3: I do not carry the celiac gene, nor do I have any gluten issues. None supported the elimination diet. Many of the supplements Dr Murfin prescribed were counter to the results I received (i.e., she prescribed a B supplement when my Vitamin B levels are very high; she prescribed testosterone and thyroid hormones when my results did not show low levels of either of these, etc). After I'd done all the tests, Dr. Murfin informed me she wanted me to repeat some of these tests (costing approx $3,000) 6 mos later. When I cancelled my last appointment with Dr. Murfin's office after my arthritis diagnosis (and subsequent superb care by my rheumatologist who is very successfully managing my pain and inflammation and has helped me start feeling normal again and get my life back), her office became very diligent, following up with emails and phone calls wanting to offer me more appointments and recommending more tests since I had responded "so poorly" to the dietary changes and supplements. One of the tests they were recommending I order (from the internet) has been banned to be marketed by the FDA. All told, Dr Murfin was kind and spent a lot of time with me - she was very thorough in her history and tests, but I did not have successful results with the diet/supplements, and ended up spending over $8,000 and likely delayed a real diagnosis. While I believe that dietary and lifestyle habits absolutely impact our health and I subscribe to a holistic approach to my health, my experience with functional medicine was that it was quite extreme, very expensive and I didn't experience healing. Rheumatoid arthritis can't be cured with a diet. Everyone will likely have a different experience, but I wanted to share mine so you might have a better idea what you are getting into before trying it.

Was this rating useful? 7 [[ userState['ratings'][2537533].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 15, 2014

I had been diagnosed with Lupus several years ago and was having no luck with any treatment options my doctor had tried for me. I was referred to several specialists with little sucess. I was lucky enough to hear about Dr. Murfin through a family friend. This woman is amazing! She takes the time to listen to all of your concerns and attempts to treat you as a paerson, not just your disease. Her practice of functional medicine has changed my life. I am now symptom free for the first time in years and able to live my life again. I understand that her fees are expensive for the average person and I am hoping that her fees will soon be covered. I however made the choice to save up my money so that I could see her. It was worth every sacrifice! I am nothing but overwhelmed with gratitude to Dr. Murfin for her care and attention to me. She is also very understanding aboiut financial strain, she will make it work. I can't thank her enough.

Was this rating useful? 4 [[ userState['ratings'][469143].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 23, 2013

I am extremely disappointed to have discovered today that I can no longer access Dr. Murfin. She has been the best doctor I have ever met.....but upon my request to make an appointment to refill a prescription, I was informed that to see her would cost over $300. There is no way I can afford that - and really? $300 to refill a prescription? I was informed she is now classed under "Integrative Care" which unfortunately translates to now only affordable for the elite. I'm very sad to see this turn of events.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][469142].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 19, 2013

Just a warning for anyone looking for an OB, Dr Murfin now runs a private practice and you have to pay out of pocket in order to see her. I tried to see her and when the office called to set up my first appt they planned on charging me $300. I could afford it but chose to seek a different Dr as I refuse to pay privately for publicly funded health care.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][469141].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 16, 2013

The best way to describe Dr. Murfin is AMAZING. I had her for my pregnancy up to 30 weeks and then unfortunately had to transfer doctors at that point. She uses the perfect combination of medical and natural medicine to ensure your baby is getting everything it needs developmentally. She is so thorough with everything she does and keeps you well informed each step of the way. She is incredibly knowledgeable and competent in her job and genuinely cares about you and your life. She even made sure to ask me at each appointment how my husband was doing with becoming a father. I feel totally privileged and blessed to have had such an incredible, thoughtful doctor.

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][469140].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 10, 2012

What an excellent doctor. Extremely knowledgeable, very compassionate, acted with urgency, care, concern, and immediacy when my test results came back with some red flags. She is extremely competent and seems to enjoy her work and helping her patients, and doing right by them.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][469139].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 2, 2012

I have registered here just to share what Dr. Lynn Murfin means to me. I love her!!! She is the best doctor I have ever seen. She is always optimistic, very knowledgeable and cares about people. I am pregnant and I feel so happy that she is my doctor. I am so blessed that I met her. She is one of a kind!!!

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][469138].votes_count ]]