Rate Dr. Susan L. Marra

Dr. Susan L. Marra's Ratings

I have been seeing Dr. Marra for almost one year. When I received a positive IGeneX test, I chose her based on reviews, and the fact that she's a member of ILADS and had trained under Dr. Jones. The latter was important to me because my young son also tested positive. Dr. Marra does order extensive (and expensive) testing on the initial appointment. In my case it turned up some very important and unexpected results. She obviously wants to have as much information as possible in order to accurately treat a person. (Many of the tests may be covered by insurance, as they were in my situation.) She does have a dog in the office, and I'm sure she would be happy to put it in a kennel if a patient had an issue and asked. Being animal owners ourselves, we don't mind.
Dr Marra helped me when two years of seeing other various doctors left me with no hope and a declining physical condition. My pharmacist (who only sees me refill prescriptions) recently told me "You looked awful when you started coming here and now you look so much better! Whatever your doctor is doing, it's working!"
Dr. Marra has us both well on our way to recovery. Though it does take time, we've both drastically improved in less than one year.
The thing I like most about Dr Marra is that she works with you, where you are. She understands that we have to "pick our battles" when dealing with chronic illness. At each appointment I bring a list of what's improved or not, and Dr. Marra uses that to tailor her treatment plan for the next six weeks. I also buy most of my supplements online to save money, though I often buy the first bottle from the office so I know exactly what to search for. Dr. Marra never pushes her office products/supplements unless it's something she absolutely feels I need to take for my well-being. In addition, when I had an issue with a medication, Dr. Marra called me (ON A SUNDAY!) to discuss an alternate solution. And finally, Dr. Marra is up on all the latest information and studies and she regularly attends conferences.
Dr. Marra's office doesn't take insurance, and while her prices may seem high out of pocket, in comparing fees for an LLND or LLMD in surrounding states, you will soon find it's not the case. Her office manager, Linda, is very organized, very prompt, and also very busy. Sometimes the appointments are running behind, but that is because Dr. Marra takes the time she needs with each patient.
We will continue to see Dr. Marra based on our own personal improvements in our health.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2738390].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 27, 2015

Thank you Dr marra for taking such great care of me! Only had to stop seeing her due to personal issues. Great person and wonderful Dr!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2720862].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 13, 2015

Went to see Dr. Marra after receiving a positive lyme test and suffering with related symptoms for some time. Heard she was the "person to see" in Seattle. Had a really strange experience with her. At first visit was asked to sign paperwork that limited her liability in the event of a lawsuit or else she wouldn't see me. In my entire life, I have never been asked to do this with any doctor ever! Felt uncomfortable in the office as she lets her dog walk all over her office and licking the patients. The walls are lined with boxes and boxes of supplements - just felt odd. Proceeded with evaluation visit which was fine, she listened to me go through my symptoms and told me 100% that I had lyme and Bartonella co infection since there was a lump on my wrist (which she explained as a nodule and she had seen this many many times before with Bartonella) She proceeded to order close to $8,000 worth of blood tests (thankfully my insurance covered a good chunk of them, but really $8,000? was that necessary) Would not give me any of the results until I saw her again. Couldn't get an appt. for another 8 weeks. Asked her office to send me copies of my bloodwork --wouldn't do it. Couldn't get her to return my call - ever. Her receptionist was simply difficult to deal with. Got the lab to send my results to me and found out I never had Bartonella (then decided to see other docs -- the lump was simply a ganglion cyst and was promptly treated. In the end and over time, my lyme symptoms improved with treatment elsewhere. Overall, I am so happy I didn't spend all the money and time with her for very long and decided to go elsewhere. I really felt like she was more interested in making money than treating her patients. And just the sheer amount of supplements she kept pushing just didn't seem safe or right. She may have made a huge difference for others, but just didn't seem to be the right fit for me.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2689512].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 19, 2015

Dr. Marra is not a good listener and not at all compassionate. Believes that all your symptoms you have are related to Lyme. Many infectious disease doctors may be blind to the fact that Chronic Lyme Disease is real; however, Dr. Marra is a Zealot in regards to tick borne illness. Each office visit is the same, one hour in length.. She does a few neurological tests but doesn't seem interested in answering your questions. She is more interested in talking about herself and impressing you with her knowledge. Her treatments are extreme. Copious amounts of oral antibiotics, mega supplements each month ranging from 500.00 to 2000.00 per month plus the monthly patient visit fee of 345.00. Every month the supplements are completely changed. If there were unused product we were just told to keep it for future use, which never happened. Lost 25 lbs. in 4 months on her protocol . I was very close to C diff. No food was being digested, as the food was going right though me. Dr. Mara does not do phone consults when you are having difficulty, even when you live 3 hours away. Chronic Lyme disease, with the other tick borne illnesses, are real, but stay as far away from this doctor as you can.

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][2668757].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 2, 2015

I saw great results when I went to Dr. Marra for Lyme and Bartonella. As a physician, I needed her stern words of authority in order to comply with her protocol. I am on the path to success because I have followed her suggestions, protocols, diet changes, and supplements. It feels like my body is more aligned to the path for healing while on difficult antibiotics. I appreciated her approach because this is exactly what I needed to get better.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2363191].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 21, 2014

Dr. Marra saved my life. When I came to her 3 years ago with Lyme and tick-borne disease I was so ill that down deep I really thought there was nothing anyone could do for me after 30 years of this illness being allowed to progress to the point of being disabled, where even getting out of the house and to her office once a month seemed insurmountable. I had seen roughly 40 doctors from the time of my first symptoms and none of them knew what to do with me. Dr. Marra was the only one to make sense of any of it, and never gave up on me. She has the expertise to deal with this complicated illness and is always on top of the latest research. She just has a wealth of knowledge, experience, and common sense and will use everything in her arsenal to figure out the problem at hand. I cannot recommend her enough—of course for tick-borne disease, but also as a general doctor, who will actually listen to you, take you seriously, and work to find the answers to make you well again.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][484773].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 15, 2014

Excellent Doctor, I had been struggling with Lyme disease for over a year. I was really ill, and in pain. I could hardly get out of bed. I wanted a Doctor I could trust, who was experienced, and a specialist. I had researched all my options and with the help of my family we selected Doctor Susan Marra. Dr Marra has turned everything around, I have energy, my pain has subsided and I continue to get better. Lyme disease is not the central theme of my life anymore.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][484772].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 16, 2013

Dr. Marra really helped me with my Lyme disease. I’d been to many, many doctors who had no understanding of my condition or how to treat it (even when I told them I had a history of Lyme disease from 25 years ago). Dr. Marra knows her stuff. She listened to me, ran some tests, and then had a clear vision for treatment. I’m so happy to be feeling better after years of suffering from vague symptoms which had been getting worse. I’m still in middle of my treatment and healing journey but I’m already feeling a much greater sense of well-being than I have in years. Dr. Marra is thorough and dedicated; the healing process may take time, but she helpfully guides me along the way with her vast knowledge and compassionate expertise. I highly recommend her.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][484771].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 13, 2013

I believe Dr. Marra saved my daughters life. She is very knowledgeable, and puts a great deal of effort into understanding both the latest knowledge of chronic infections and the individual patient. She has been available in times of crisis. We have a team of doctors treating my daughter, but we always check everything with Dr. Marra ... she has been right every time, and my daughter has made significant progress under her care. We recommend her to anyone who is dealing with a chronic, unexplained illness.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][484770].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 17, 2013

Dr Marra is an expert in treating Lyme disease and its associated infections. How do I know this? I've been dealing with Lyme disease for over 8 years. I received no help from conventional doctors despite being sent to a myriad of specialists. My condition deteriorated until I found a doctor who specialized in Lyme disease and began to treat me with a combination of antibiotics. After moving to Seattle 2 years ago my symptoms resurfaced. This led me to Dr Marra. After reviewing my history and performing additional tests she also discovered that in addition to Lyme disease I also was infected by other tick-borne pathogens which were contributing to my symptoms. In addition to prescribing antibiotics Dr Marra designed a treatment protocol with supplements, herbal remedies, and another procedures to help alleviate symptoms, build up immunity and improve my strength/energy. Finding someone with Dr Marra's expertise and knowledge has been a godsend.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][484769].votes_count ]]