Dr. Priya O'Callaghan

Grad. Year:

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Rating: 4.2 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 22 reviews. Dr. Priya O'Callaghan has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Endodontist (root canal)-related: dentist, root canals
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 2521378
04/01/13 5 5 5 5 I was referred to Dr. O'Callaghan and called her office on her day off. Her answering service connected me to her phone and she agreed to meet me at her Berkeley office. I was in extreme pain, there's nothing quite like a tooth ache. She arrived at her office with children in tow and her mom too! I'd heard so many horror stories about root canals probably just as many as I have labor stories. Anyway, I was crazy nervous. After a quick exam she told me I needed an root canal, numbed my mouth, and I haven't felt any pain in that tooth since. Other than the anesthesia, everything was painless. I'm very grateful for her flexibility and the best darn root canal story.
Insurance: United Healthcare
RID: 2382634
23/07/12 5 5 5 5 I recently had my second root canal by Dr. O'Callaghan, both experiences were by far the best I have ever had and I have had at least 8 other root canals throughout my life. She is gentle,fast and efficent. Also has a good sense of humor. I am a complete chicken when it comes to dental work, but I would pick her over any of the several other dentist/specialists I have had for root canals in the past, hands down.  Respond
RID: 2312415
02/07/12 5 5 5 5 I saw Dr. O'Callaghan for an emergency root canal on her day off and she was fantastic. She was warm and friendly as well as extremely professional. She explained what was happening and made me feel as if I were a part of the process. All in all, my experience was as good as it could be while getting a root canal.
Insurance: Humana
RID: 2223383
09/06/12 5 5 5 5 I just came back from Dr O'Callaghan's office yesterday. I've seen two dentists in the last year, Dr Henry Yang and Dr Scott Mackenzie (who I love!), and they both referred me to her. So, I knew she was good. Yeah, I read the Yelp reviews before I went... and they couldn't be more wrong. Dr O'Callaghan is lovely, funny, warm and very personable. I felt totally at ease while she examined me and recommended that we do some additional care at home for 3 weeks before we do anything hasty. I loved her honesty and appreciated her treating my issue with a "wait and see' kind of attitude instead of diving in for a root canal. Her staff are all lovely and Alexia is a gem! Thanks ladies!!!!  Respond
RID: 2118393
07/05/12 5 5 5 5 Went in for a root canal evaluation, wasn't sure if it was the tooth and/or TMJ and/or a sinus infection. Dr. O'Callaghan was conservative, advised waiting to be sure the tooth was in fact the core problem. Post root canal, my face is happy again!! Staff was polite and helpful on appointments and insurance. Dr. O. was training a new staff person during my root canal. It's clear she sets high standards for her staff. Minor delays, but these happen in any busy office, especially if the doctor takes time to answer all questions, which she does. Overall very professtional and positive experience.  Respond
RID: 2097404
01/05/12 5 5 5 5 I've had two root canals in less than a year (one on my front tooth and the second one in the back near my molars). In both cases, Dr. O'Callaghan, observed the tooth in question for a few weeks/months before jumping for the drill. I healed quickly for both and was back at work the same day. She's a great dentist and was very friendly and explained all parts of the procedure. In one case, I was concerned with some swelling (that turned out to be a sinus infection) and she got me in for an appointment the same day to check the status of the root canal. Overall - very pleased with my time with Dr. O'Callaghan and her staff.
Insurance: Anthem
RID: 1777926
22/03/12 5 4 5 5 2 root canals on separate teeth, one year apart. I was referred by my regular dentist to Dr O'Callaghan. I was really pleased with how professionally the office is run and how friendly and caring Dr O'Callaghan and the whole staff is. I was worried that it might be painful, but both times the procedure was pain-free. I couldn't be more pleased with my experience and would recommend to anyone needing a root canal
RID: 1726880
02/03/12 5 5 5 5 I just had a consultation and was extremely impressed. I wasnt so sure I really needed a root canal but my dentist was trying to convince me I needed it. She did some tests and took some xrays and said she honestly thought I'd be ok trying some desensitizing toothpaste for a few weeks. She said I could come back to check the tooth again and I wouldn't be charged(what??wow!!)I was certain that a root canal would be recommended and really appreciated the conservative approach. Highly recommend this doctor.
RID: 1711110
11/02/12 5 5 5 5 I went to this doctor because my general dentist and my orthodontist and my oral surgeon recommended her independent of eachother. She was thorogh and professional and I felt i was in good hands. Tooth felt better very quickly following the procedure.
RID: 1644223
26/11/11 5 5 5 5 I liked her and her assistant was super friendly. Didnt think you could laugh at the dental office. It was a very pleasant experience.
Paid (or co-pay): $1150
RID: 1543758
22/09/11 3 2 2 3 I went to Dr. O'Callaghan on a referral. She arrived 20 minutes late, then seemed rushed. She didn't call me or my dentist with her recommendations, though she said she would. I had a bad experience.
Paid (or co-pay): $158
RID: 1481831
08/07/11 5 5 5 5 While I was on my vacation from the east coast recently, I needed an emergency root canal treatment during a weekend. I could not find an endodontist in the bay area who could see me on a Sunday. After several phone calls, I got hold of Dr. O'Callaghan and explained to her about my intense pain. She came to her office in Berkeley in less than an hour. I literally could not find enough words to thank her for sacrificing her weekend. Took x-rays, diagnosed, and she explained to me everything in detail before it was done. Even though it was a complex procedure, she did it virtually pain free. She was absolutely fantastic! She was thorough and knowledgeable. My Dentist back home after reviewing Dr.Ocallaghan's x-rays was so impressed, I had to write this review. I will recommend Dr. O Çallaghan to anyone who needs a root canal done...pity she's over there and not here! Jaime  Respond
RID: 1469919
22/06/11 5 5 5 5 received a courtesy call reminding me of my appt the day before, as I'd missed my last. Was greeted promptly by the doctor and who seemed genuinely concerned and helpful with my pain from my last root canal. Service was near painless, with amazing results! Will definitely be coming back and recommending! AJ
Paid (or co-pay): $200
RID: 1468511
20/06/11 5 5 5 5 I saw Dr.O'Callaghan after hours for an emergency visit. Her and her staff were just amazing. I am normally not such a baby but the pain was unreal. Anywway, I feel soo much better today and I am actually looking forward to my next visit with her!! Really comfortable office too, which helps when you are in pain all over.
Paid (or co-pay): $1100
RID: 1462864
13/06/11 3 4 1 3 I specifically told her no procedures that could not be fully completed in two weeks because I am moving out of California. As a student, I had also been concerned about the expense. She assured me that everything would be completed within two weeks and that the max out of pocket for the process was $400. Not truthful at all. After the second part of the root canal, shortly before I had to leave the country for 5 weeks, she told me that I had to schedule for a permanent filling and a crown with my dentist - which would increase my out of pocket costs to more than $1000. She also told me after the root canal that the temporary filling she put in would only lasts for a couple of weeks, which means that I would need to find a dentist in South America on my vacation to finish up what she started - a procedure that would not happen if she told me the truth. She was not watching out for me at all and sacrificed my needs for her own benefit.
Respond

22/05/11 SYSTEM: 2 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 1444684
19/05/11 5 5 5 5 I was an an emergency referral patient. I was freaking out, not myself at all. Dr. O'Callaghan got me numb quickly and got me out of pain. She prepared me for what lay ahead and booked me to come for completion for work. All within the hour. One word, FANTASTIC
Paid (or co-pay): $1290
RID: 1227307
12/08/10 5 5 5 5 Read some other reviews. Very weird. I have seen Dr. O'Callaghan for three teeth and each time was wonderful. Her staff were great. I would not go anywhere else. No way.
Paid (or co-pay): $1200
RID: 1115210

25/02/10 1 1 1 1 Front desk staff was rude. Dentist was not on time, was in the waiting room for 1 hour! She then was in a rush,very rough with my mouth and did not spent appropriate amount of time on patient. Her recommended treatment was to get more money than patient's best interest. Definitely not very professional. Did not check insurance , therefore I was over charged & still have not got my REFUND!!! I would never go back again.  Respond
RID: 1111181
21/02/10 5 5 5 5 I was referred for a root canal to this office. Spent two days in pain (I procrastinate) and could not believe that when my dentist called this office at 4pm on a Thursday, Dr. O'Callaghan was able to see me. I drove to her office and was seen immediately. She did advise me that she had adjusted her schedule to fit me in and while she could get me comfortable, I would need to return the following week to have the second part done. I am at home and pain free!! Unbelievable!! HIGHLY RECOMMEND this very caring professional.
Insurance: Assurant
Paid (or co-pay): $1100
RID: 1048198
02/12/09 5 2 1 1 She did not explain things thoroughly. She recommended and completed a procedure that may have been unnecessary and ended up making the situation much worse. The front desk staff is great, but the doctor is problematic If she recommends a major intervention, get a second opinion before you agree to it. She does ok if everything is easy, but if you have a complication, it gets difficult.  Respond
RID: 995463
25/09/09 5 5 5 5 great staff. first dentist i have had that drew me pictures and thoroughly explained treatment. then get this...she called personally to check in on me. dont want another root canal but will go back to her if i do
Paid (or co-pay): $1089
RID: 745847

17/12/08 1 1 1 2 Front desk staff was rude. Dentist was in rush, and not spent appropriate amount of time on patient. Her recommended treatment was to get more money than patient's best interest. Definitely not very professional.  Respond
* - Rating left by a registered user