Rate Dr. D. McPhalen

Dr. D. McPhalen's Ratings

I was born with a giant congenital nevus covering well over half my body. We went to see Dr.Macphalen for 36 operations between the ages of 8 months and 10 years, and are more than thrilled with his work. Even as a child he made sure to listen to what I had to say and answered not only my parent's questions but mine as well; which can be rare for a surgeon. His calm and soft spoken bedside manor always left us feeling calm and confident in his knowledge and skills, making the long road of tissue expanders and weekly inflation visits easier. When I needed work done that he felt was beyond his expertise, he referred me to a previous student of his that had observed him work on me in the past and even assisted her in the OR to make me feel better. Not enough great things to say about Don!!!

Submitted Jan. 4, 2013 | flag

We have gone to see him - for my son - on several occaisions! He is LOVELY to him and to us! Which sometimes isn't the case! My son has a rare genetic disorder - that causes any scar to be a stretched out and deep scar! You can NOT see where Dr. McPhalen operated! Also we went to see him for some jaw surgery, he was honest and said he didn't think he could do anything for my son. Phoned his friend - one of the best jaw surgeons in North America - within 2 weeks my son had surgery to remove 5 MASSIVE growths from his jaw! We LOVE Dr. McPhalen and of course the Childrens Hospital!

Submitted Nov. 15, 2012 | flag

I took my son to see Dr.Mcphalen for a sacral dimple on his back when he was 8 months old....at the time I found him to be very caring and reassuring. However after my son had an MRI to assess the dimple I received a call from another Dr's office saying that we had been referred to them by Dr.Mcphalen, before I had a chance to discuss the results and find out what was happening with my son. I feel that he and his staff acted irresponsibly by making the referral before seeing my son, and sending me into a panic thinking the problem was something serious.

Submitted July 19, 2012 | flag

Extremely competent and friendly, have been taking my son to him for years, and have absolute trust in his abilities.

Submitted June 18, 2012 | flag

He has been seeing my child for 11 years, and has performed 3 seperate procedures to date. I know this man to be an amazing surgeon! His work on my sons face has left many shocked that he was (is) a Cleft Lip and Palate baby. You cant even tell. His knowledge, soft spoken nature and talent as a surgeon drew me to ask for him as the surgeon for my sons next surgery in 5 days! I would trust this man with my most precious gift!! Oh wait... I DID! and do!!!!!

Submitted Jan. 11, 2012 | flag

Dr. McPhalen (aka McFail'n)is a terrible plastic surgeon. He recommended the removal of a tiny cyst on my child's chest, and ended up leaving a wide, jagged, irregular, and inflammed 2.5 inch scar. Another plastic surgeon whom we consulted after the fact was appalled at McPhalen's work. Do not let this man anywhere near you or your loved ones. In my view, he should not be practicing.

Submitted Aug. 9, 2011 | flag

There is no rating for him, he is above rating one of the best doctor and human being we have come across. Soft spoken, caring and a true gentleman in nature. My son had cleft palate. Few days back he had his third surgery . My son surgery are all done by Dr. McPhalen. We have full confidence and trust in Dr Mcphalen, you dont have to worry about anything. I would'nt hesitate to term him as a magician in his work.

Submitted Aug. 5, 2011 | flag

He's amazing. My daughter had cleft palette. His diagnostic / judgement, sharp handwork with performing a surgery on a tiny 6 months old baby's palette is something I am very thankful of everyday I see my daughter grow up just like any other kid with perfectly normal speech and of course the surgery was so well it was done once and for all. She doesn't know what she went through when she was little. Highly highly recommend him!

Submitted July 20, 2011 | flag

my son had a biladeral cleft palate which impaired his ability to speak and be understood, this caused great frustration to my little boy to not be understood. dr. m was amzing kind and gentle, did not rush my child our of recovery, made sure he was well. he not talks excellent and does not even need speech theapy.my son will go again to repair Microtia on both of his ears when he older

Submitted June 7, 2010 | flag

Our son has a very rare and unusual birthmark/facial anomaly. We have seen a plastic surgeon and neurosurgeon in Edmonton and they treated us like it was unimportant and weird. We feel so fortunate to have found Dr. McPhalen, as he makes us feel so comfortable and he always leaves us with the feeling that our son's future matters to him. he has a wonderful bedside manner and you can see the glimmer in his eyes when he interacts with your child. He truly cares! our son will have surgery in 2yrs or so, and we are looking forward to it, rather than fearing it. His secreatary, Dawn, is wonderful to deal with on the phone, she is very helpful and pleasant. We travel 7.5hrs to see Dr. McPhalen, and we always wait a long time in the waiting room (2hrs or more). He makes it all worthwhile though, and we would travel farther, and wait longer, knowing that our son is in such wonderful, caring, and skilled hands. Thank you Dr. McPhalen!

Submitted Aug. 4, 2009 | flag