Rate Dr. William Carroll

Dr. William Carroll's Ratings

I took my son who was recently diagnosed with severe MS to see Dr Carroll. Up until then my son and I have felt not only victims of this debilitating disease, but victims of the medical staff who seemed to be the only ones benefiting the treatments assigned to my son. We were given little if any information about MS, its treatments, or its outcome. And no type of family support to help us cope. We weren't looking for a sugar coating, or asking for false hope, we needed information, we wanted the truth. I found Dr Carrolls direct approach a welcome source in our quest to at least improve my sons quality of life. He is the strength we needed to encourage our fight, our war, against Multiple Sclerosis. Both mine and my sons ability to cope and prepare ourselves for what may lay ahead has vastly improved to what it was only a few short weeks ago. Dr Carroll is a welcome ali in our struggle, and we are very grateful for his knowledge and understanding. So if its sugar coating, and someone to dance around the ugly truth your looking for, he may not be the doctor for you. But if its the facts and a strategic game plan you need, you wont get a better, more caring Doctor, than Dr Carroll.

Submitted Aug. 26, 2014 | flag

Submitted Aug. 17, 2014 | flag

I accompanied my dad to his appointment and found Dr Carroll's demeanour to be the worst I have ever experienced. We were both completely shocked and speechless by his arrogant, rude and patronising attitude. My dad is very hard of hearing and he couldn't hear Dr Carroll's instructions. When I repeated the Dr's instruction at a slightly louder volume so dad could understand, Dr Carroll suddenly told me to "be quiet" in a very rude tone. Then afterwards when we asked for the results he (quickly and abruptly) said "well the left hand is too far gone to save and the right hand will probably go the same way" while basically pushing us out the door. We were of course shocked by this first diagnosis and wanted a bit more of an explanation. He seemed extremely put out buy this request and then promptly told us to "go away and reflect on our words" after Dad quite innocently asked if he could have his hands operated on at his local country hospital. I would not recommend him to anyone.

Submitted July 17, 2014 | flag

I have seen Dr Carroll for over 5 years and is knowledgable & confident in his diagnosis & treatment. He is seen in high regard within the medical community and deservingly so. During my pregnancy he did make a bad call but my condition is unpredictable and it was a 50/50 situation however it did put my unborn child at risk. When having my husband in the room he has had terrible bedside manner being condescending and rude to my husband. However when it has just been myself, I have found Dr Carroll caring & understand, although he is an old fashioned and I can see how individuals might see him as cold. He has always listened to my concerns and addressed them. Explaining each of his decisions in relation to my condition. I believe all his decisions have always been in my best interests and people need to accept that there are unpredictable circumstances within neurology. I would certainly highly recommend Dr Carroll to others but no without commenting on his bedside manner.

Submitted June 23, 2014 | flag

I would not recommend him, find another doctor. I left my appointment upset, I wish I had taken a family member to witness the arrogant, unprofessional behaviour of this professor.

Submitted March 8, 2014 | flag

Although I haven't been a patient of his for over 10 years now, I've had time to reflect on past experiences with certain Neurologists & I would have to say that the worst experiences were had while I was under Dr Carrols care whilst he was based at Sir Charles Gardiner Hospital, Being a severe epileptic & having quite frequent seizures whilst under his care for quite awhile, I found that he put me in the "too hard basket" and wouldn't respond to my letters & while I was a patient in Sir Charles I got very frustrated at him as instead of talking to me the 20 something patient he pulled my Mother out of the room & told that he thought that the seizures were all in my mind & the very next day he had me checked by a psychiatrist, are you kidding me, well thankfully I have found a wonderful new Neurologist who believed that my seizures were real & was able to be operated on, which Dr Carroll said "Was Impossible" & am not completely cured but I'm 80% better seizure wise since changing Drs

Submitted Feb. 17, 2014 | flag

Although running late, as in my opinion all good MD's should, showing they concentrate on the patient rather than the time, I recommend DR Carroll in the highest regard. Not treating myself, but my father who has been his patient on and off since the early 90's, he used his knowledge to get my uncooperative kin back on track. When under his guidance, his cognition and mood has improved marginally, by not over or under prescribing which has been a problem in the past. A follow up appointment from the initial one this year is coming up and I am glad to report his treatment has been spot on. His 'straight to the point' manner should not be labeled as 'rude' but rather in the best interests of his patients. A kind man who is a professional in his field. The best.

Submitted Oct. 20, 2013 | flag

Very pleased with dr carroll. After being let down by other neurologists in perth, I found he was thorough and considerate while being direct. He was extremely professional and I'm glad I've switched drs.

Submitted Oct. 7, 2013 | flag

I was a patient of Dr Carroll for several years, I agree with what others have mentioned about his bedside manner. I also experienced some hostility from him both towards my husband for joining me at some of my consultations and later at myself when I questioned him in regards to my health. I had been diagnosed by a sydney neurologist with NMO, however changed to Dr Carroll on moving to WA. Luckily I was in a state of 'remission' when I started seeing Dr Carroll and only had one relapse which he treated me for, however I was in the process of having a second relapse when Dr Carroll really let me down. I'd lost strength in my right side, but at my consultation he argued with me and told me I was doing really well, he proceeded to write me a script which turned out to be in someone else's name. The next day my decrease in strength had gotten worse and I could no longer register Hot or Cold on the left side of my body. I moved back to Sydney as a result and wouldn't reccommend Dr Carroll.

Submitted Aug. 21, 2013 | flag

I was very impressed with Dr Carroll. He was thorough and professional and spent time explaining my diagnosis and answering all my questions.

Submitted July 15, 2013 | flag