Dr. Maryam Shayesteh Alam

Dr. Maryam Shayesteh Alam

Rate Dr. Maryam Shayesteh Alam

Dr. Maryam Shayesteh Alam's Ratings

Dr. Alam saved my life by finding a melanoma spot on my body and sending me to a surgeon of her team. I wasn't even referred to her because of this mole! Because even my family doctor didn't notice it! But she did a full skin cheque for me so thoroughly that she found this mole. I can't thank her enough. Thank you so very much Dr. Alam

Submitted Aug. 25, 2014 | flag

Submitted Aug. 23, 2014 | flag

knowledgable but a bad communicator - rushes - answers questions poorly...takes as little time as possible

Submitted June 23, 2014 | flag

After waiting for 45 minutes past my daughters scheduled appointment, Dr. Alam came into room with no acknowledgement of the long wait. She became irritated when I told her that my daughter had not been using the prescribed creams as it had literally burned her face and made it bleed. Dr. Alam said "I told you that would happen!" When told my daughters skin had cleared up with the medication and soap prescribed, she would not accept that this was possible without the creams. I turned to ask her a question and Dr. Alam angrily held up her hand to stop me and said loudly "MOM let me finish!!" I was furious. Who does this woman think she is. She scribbled some notes and a prescription for more pills and creams and then said "now you can finish". To say she was arrogant is an understatement. I will never ever take my daughter to this doctor again. 45 minutes late and then we were hurried out in less than 5 minutes.

Submitted Jan. 14, 2014 | flag

I went to see Dr Alam for what I thought was a changing mole. The staff were very polite and Dr Alam was ready to see me at the exact time of my appointment. She was very efficient, professional and with excellent bedside manners while taking a biopsy. I was especially impressed since I had read some of the negative reviews. My appointment was at the Bayview North location and I can only highly recommend Dr Alam. It is true that the actual appointment was very fast but it felt efficient, not rushed.

Submitted March 26, 2013 | flag

Dr. Alam, in my opinion, is just in the medical field for the almighty $. I went to her for a skin rash and on the first visit she did a biopsy and prescribed an antihistamine. When the biopsy came back and she wasn't able to come to a firm diagnosis, she decided to refer me to someone else. I asked for copies of the biopsies - she wanted $25. When I asked for a refill on the antihistamine, she said she would renew it, but it would cost me $25?! She rushes through things and when you try and slow her down to understand what she is saying, or, heaven forbid, ask her a question, she tells you to wait a minute, writes in her notes, then asks if there is anything else she can help you with. But, when you ask another question she never gives a straight answer. Her wait times are absolutely horrendous, another indication that she is $ hungry as she obviously overbooks. Very negative experience, glad I am going to see someone else and shouldn't have to deal with her again!!

Submitted Jan. 23, 2013 | flag

I have never seen a doctor's office that has functioned so ineffectually, ever. Wait times for booked appointments can be hours. Beyond reasonable. Dr Alam triple books appointments and therefore does not have time to spend with each patient to answer questions one might have. I finally gave up and had my family doctor refer me to a new dermatologist in Newmarket. My new dermatologist was appalled when I showed him the medications that had been prescribed for my Lupus. Not only was it the wrong one, but I had been using it for well over two years. He told me the topical steroids had done more harm than good. I am so angered at the whole situation that I am going to follow up with a letter to the College of Physician's and Surgeons. In my opinion.... A disgrace.

Submitted Aug. 31, 2012 | flag

Very quick and skillful. If you have specific questions, she takes the time to answer fully but vagueness tries her patience. Even has a sense of humour if you look for it. Her talent is worth the ridiculous wait times. Another Barrie Dermatologist has retired and this has only added to her caseload.

Submitted July 26, 2012 | flag

Extremely knowledgeable and helpful, super bedside manners on all my appointments; seeing her for 2 yrs

Submitted May 3, 2012 | flag

mosts abrupt and unpleasant , felt she was gouging the system asking for biopsies that were not needed. Diagnosed a cancer spot and then never followed through with an appointment for surgery. A terrible experience. Never again.

Submitted Feb. 19, 2012 | flag