Rate Dr. Joseph A. Donnellan

Dr. Joseph A. Donnellan's Ratings

Dr. Donnelan is NOT a loon. He is a very knowledgeable doctor and cares about his patients. He legitimately cares about your struggles and helps to find solutions. He is a little quick to prescribe medication but I truly truly believe he wants to help ease the other troubling aspects of your life while you recover from your eating disorder. If it weren't for him I would be afraid of resorting back to the E.D. ways. He will do everything he can to make sure you recover. If you admit in the in patient program he fights insurance to make sure you stay lo g enough to be stable on your own. He also has a very supportive staff behind him at somerset medical center. I recommend him 100%

Submitted Sept. 8, 2013 | flag

Best doctor I have ever had. Can't find anyone even remotely as skilled now that he won't see me.

Submitted May 11, 2013 | flag

Amazing!!! He has helped me to recover from my Eating Disorder!

Submitted April 24, 2013 | flag

Dr. Donnellan is a brilliant psychiatrist and an absolute expert at treating eating disorders! He truly cares about his patients and wants the best for them. Please stop judging him. He MUST be tough, and brutally honest and sometimes harsh wt. his patients, because he is fighting against an eating disorder mentality that could literally kill the person. He must use his time wisely in order to assist the patient to change and to learn new positive coping mechanisms and break through the denial that could potentially kill them. He's an awesome doctor and he saved my life. If he had not been so honest wt. me and so tough I'd be dead today. So, please if you need help go see Dr. Donnellan and give him a chance, it might just be the smartest and best thing you ever did for yourself. Good Luck!

Submitted Aug. 2, 2012 | flag

He is an amazing Doctor... I have my life back because of him. He is very knowledgeable !!! You don't need to run from him

Submitted Sept. 15, 2011 | flag

I have had 7 psychiatrists this year alone and Dr. Donnellan was by far the best. He is very direct and to the point and has a very low tolerance for B.S. He refuses to treat me anymore and I have not been able to find anyone who can even begin to measure up. Feeling very lost and alone.

Submitted Aug. 12, 2011 | flag

I have been seeing dr donnellan for 6 yrs and he is great. Not a warm fuzzy man, but I think that is the way most psychiatrists are. For a while I "hated" him, but it was because he was right. He as a way of getting you to analyze what you don't want to acknowledge. It took a while for him to figure out my major in college and then that i graduated and moved states and got married but he caught up. In any event that info does not really hold bearing on medications which is his focus!

Submitted Nov. 12, 2008 | flag

This man saved my life. Anyone commenting on his personal idiosynchrocies and letting this affect their rating are doing a disservice to those who need help with their eating disorder and are looking for the right doctor to assist them. It is a scary process but Dr. Donnellan does not sugarcoat anything and prompts you take risks against your own eating disorder. Wonderful doctor.

Submitted July 5, 2008 | flag

He is very good. I don't understand prior comment at all. I have seen him for eating disorder for 5 years and my life is finally turning around. He worked with me to stay out of a facility and do counseling on an outpatient basis. I have read up on depression, eating disorders, OCD, etc., and everything he has told me is validated. I sent a friend, and she was happy, too. Yes, he does have a "hoarse" sounding voice, but get over it.

Submitted July 25, 2007 | flag

He's a loon. Stay far away. He also has a funny voice. He runs one of the only eating disorder inpatient programs in NJ, so go if you must... but then run- fast.

Submitted March 22, 2007 | flag