Rate Dr. Colin Birch

Dr. Colin Birch's Ratings

Is this all the same guy? He sounds either wonderful or just plain horrible. I have an appointment with this doctor coming up, and now am afraid I may be making a huge mistake. Too bad we can't feel really good about our health care professionals any more.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2608297].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 6, 2014

I had DR birch for a biopsy from an abnormal pap. I was very nervous and feeling quite uncomfortable and exposed. It was nice he explained what he was going to be doing exactly. But when he commented that he was applying the iodine solution to my cervix so if anyone commented that I smelt like "fish and chips" afterwords I would know why... Well I felt even more uncomfortable. Perhaps this joke was supposed to lighten the mood but I thought it was very unprofessional and rude.
After the biopsy I was left to redress.
When I stood up from the bench a gush of blood came from inside and landed on the floor. I didn't know if this was a normal thing to have happen. I was given a larger than life jumbo sized maxi pad to use following the biopsy but nothing was mentioned about this much blood. There was a bathroom in the DRs room I had the procedure so I went and sat on the tolit and I continued to bleed more. After about 10mins dr birchs assistant knocked on the door to see if I was alright. She helped to calm me down and told me that I had nothing to worry about.
I wish that I could have been more prepared for this.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2600162].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 30, 2014

Wow...the best surgery ever..this Dr is amazing. Painless surgery. Fixed Blatter. He is a god sent ladies.. We need more like Dr birch
Thanks again

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2599811].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 30, 2014

I was lucky to have Dr. Birch as my doctor for my second pregnancy. After complications with my first, I really appreciated his honesty, knowledge and clearly presented options including risks/potential issues and benefits. He was always frank, professional and approachable.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2583795].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 18, 2014

I'm 24 and a Hypochondriac. When I discovered that I had to get a biopsy done due to an abnormal pap, I was terrified. Dr Birch's RN Kim and I got in touch soon after. She was very polite and reassuring. She also did her best to make me smile because she could tell I was terrified. Meeting Dr Birch was intimidating at first, but then he explained to me what he would be doing and made me feel comfortable. He told me immediately that i didn't have cancer which helped with my anxiety. I've met with him two more times sonar and he is excellent. He was comfortable asking any OB/GYN related questions I had, even ones that had nothing to do with me. I discovered through my pestering that he has worked i third world countries and has seen some horrible things. I left with a new respect for him. He is very sweet, and even though he is quiet, it doesn't mean he is arrogant or rude. I highly recommend Dr Birch and his sweet RN Kim

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1253892].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 21, 2013

I'm surprised at all the positive comments on this doctor. I wonder if his attitude is different based upon the reason for seeing him and whether it's in his office or in hospital. He's been the OB on call twice now since I've been on hospital bed rest and has not once actually told me who he was. I had to ask my nurse who he was since she was in the room the 2nd time he came. This man is, I'm sure, a perfectly competent doctor but his attitude needs some adjustment. He walks in the room as though he is god's gift to pregnant women and we should all fall at his feet and grovel. His first visit to me consisted of a whopping 2 minutes where he tried to push getting a shot of blood thinners every day on me even though the MFM team advised I didn't need it, including the head of the department and head of U of C's Obstetrics department since my bed rest does allow for walking around a few times each day.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1253891].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 7, 2013

I first met Birch when I had an emercancy c-section with my daughter in 2010. He was very helpful and calmed my nerves about a c-section and talked to my husband about his concerns. When I found out a year and half later I was pregnant agian I requested Dr Birch without hesitation. He is the best doctor I have ever met. I moved to BC half way through my pregnany and I am driving to Calgary every 2 weeks I believe in him so much. He tells you the facts as it is. He will not hold your hand through every step but he will make sure you are comfortable and understand. Whenever I go see him his staff is great and polite and he is sitting there waiting for me. He gets my daughter involved in the appointments and always makes her laugh. He is a great doctor and I am very comfortable with him doing the surgery and I am proud to say both my kids will be born by Dr. Birch, this doctor is amazing.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1253890].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 14, 2011

I recently had a partial hysterectomy with Dr. Birch in the Canmore hospital (shorter wait times). I cannot say enough about his bedside manner and skill. I felt very comfortable in his care. He told me that is I had any questions prior to the surgery date that I was to come back for another visit. He felt that if I was going into surgery with any unanswered questions that he was not doing his job! How refreshing to have that said to prior to a surgery. Not too sure why he gets any negative feedback as he has always been pleasant to deal with. My only complaint is of the staff at the Pelvic floor clinic admin staff are not very attentive, nursing staff has been great. Sue at the clinic is awesome to deal with!!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1253889].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 12, 2011

I had an emergency csection with my first child and he was very unprofessional. He used lots of stupid words like cool, awesome, etc. I felt like I had some high school student performing my surgery. In the end I ended up with a terrible infection that I had to be re-hospitalized for, separating me from my newborn for 3 nights, it was terrible. He didn't even book me for a follow up. When ALL other doctors do that, especially after major surgery. I ended up seeing Dr. Cenaiko, who is awesome, for my follow up, he was also the doctor that I saw during my extra 4 days in the hospital while I had my infection. But back to Dr Birch, NEVER would I have him deliver another child of mine, I felt that he didn't care or have any real knowledge.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1253893].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 26, 2011

I was referred to Doctor Birch because of his skill and knowledge should any complications arise during pregnancy or labour. I was considered a low risk pregnancy and must have been a boring patient compared to what he has seen, however I always found him professional and I walked away from each appointment feeling like I was in good hands. His staff was always friendly and lovely to deal with. If you are looking for a Doctor to hold your hand he might not be for you but if you want someone who will be honest and give you the facts then I would highly recommend him. I felt fortunate to be able to see Dr. Birch and hope he is still around when we have a second child.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1253888].votes_count ]]