Dr. Colin Birch

Rate Dr. Colin Birch

Dr. Colin Birch's Ratings

I'm 24 and a Hypochondriac. When I discovered that I had to get a biopsy done due to an abnormal pap, I was terrified. Dr Birch's RN Kim and I got in touch soon after. She was very polite and reassuring. She also did her best to make me smile because she could tell I was terrified. Meeting Dr Birch was intimidating at first, but then he explained to me what he would be doing and made me feel comfortable. He told me immediately that i didn't have cancer which helped with my anxiety. I've met with him two more times sonar and he is excellent. He was comfortable asking any OB/GYN related questions I had, even ones that had nothing to do with me. I discovered through my pestering that he has worked i third world countries and has seen some horrible things. I left with a new respect for him. He is very sweet, and even though he is quiet, it doesn't mean he is arrogant or rude. I highly recommend Dr Birch and his sweet RN Kim

Submitted Nov. 21, 2013 | flag

I'm surprised at all the positive comments on this doctor. I wonder if his attitude is different based upon the reason for seeing him and whether it's in his office or in hospital. He's been the OB on call twice now since I've been on hospital bed rest and has not once actually told me who he was. I had to ask my nurse who he was since she was in the room the 2nd time he came. This man is, I'm sure, a perfectly competent doctor but his attitude needs some adjustment. He walks in the room as though he is god's gift to pregnant women and we should all fall at his feet and grovel. His first visit to me consisted of a whopping 2 minutes where he tried to push getting a shot of blood thinners every day on me even though the MFM team advised I didn't need it, including the head of the department and head of U of C's Obstetrics department since my bed rest does allow for walking around a few times each day.

Submitted April 7, 2013 | flag

I first met Birch when I had an emercancy c-section with my daughter in 2010. He was very helpful and calmed my nerves about a c-section and talked to my husband about his concerns. When I found out a year and half later I was pregnant agian I requested Dr Birch without hesitation. He is the best doctor I have ever met. I moved to BC half way through my pregnany and I am driving to Calgary every 2 weeks I believe in him so much. He tells you the facts as it is. He will not hold your hand through every step but he will make sure you are comfortable and understand. Whenever I go see him his staff is great and polite and he is sitting there waiting for me. He gets my daughter involved in the appointments and always makes her laugh. He is a great doctor and I am very comfortable with him doing the surgery and I am proud to say both my kids will be born by Dr. Birch, this doctor is amazing.

Submitted Dec. 14, 2011 | flag

I recently had a partial hysterectomy with Dr. Birch in the Canmore hospital (shorter wait times). I cannot say enough about his bedside manner and skill. I felt very comfortable in his care. He told me that is I had any questions prior to the surgery date that I was to come back for another visit. He felt that if I was going into surgery with any unanswered questions that he was not doing his job! How refreshing to have that said to prior to a surgery. Not too sure why he gets any negative feedback as he has always been pleasant to deal with. My only complaint is of the staff at the Pelvic floor clinic admin staff are not very attentive, nursing staff has been great. Sue at the clinic is awesome to deal with!!!

Submitted May 12, 2011 | flag

I had an emergency csection with my first child and he was very unprofessional. He used lots of stupid words like cool, awesome, etc. I felt like I had some high school student performing my surgery. In the end I ended up with a terrible infection that I had to be re-hospitalized for, separating me from my newborn for 3 nights, it was terrible. He didn't even book me for a follow up. When ALL other doctors do that, especially after major surgery. I ended up seeing Dr. Cenaiko, who is awesome, for my follow up, he was also the doctor that I saw during my extra 4 days in the hospital while I had my infection. But back to Dr Birch, NEVER would I have him deliver another child of mine, I felt that he didn't care or have any real knowledge.

Submitted March 26, 2011 | flag

I was referred to Doctor Birch because of his skill and knowledge should any complications arise during pregnancy or labour. I was considered a low risk pregnancy and must have been a boring patient compared to what he has seen, however I always found him professional and I walked away from each appointment feeling like I was in good hands. His staff was always friendly and lovely to deal with. If you are looking for a Doctor to hold your hand he might not be for you but if you want someone who will be honest and give you the facts then I would highly recommend him. I felt fortunate to be able to see Dr. Birch and hope he is still around when we have a second child.

Submitted Dec. 15, 2010 | flag

Dr. Jekell and Mr. Hyde! My inital consult with this Dr. was fabulous he was friendly, comforting and seemed knowledgable. He did my surgery for endometriosis. When he came in to discuss how the surgery went he was short, abrasive and rude to both my husband and I. He informed me that I also had intersital cystitis a bladder condition. He told me I could go on medication to help with pain. when I went in to follow up and ask about this and the meds he wanted to put me on he was rude and basically said take it or leave it. I would not recommend him to anyone. The only reason I think he was nice on my first visit because they were going on summer vacation the next day!

Submitted Nov. 28, 2010 | flag

Dr. Birch is an amazing doctor. He is the most knowledgable, polite, humble doctor I have ever met. Dr. Birch delivered my daughter via c-section in 2007 and preformed my D&C after my miscarriage just last month. His work is perfection and I feel very blessed to be his patient. I refuse to see any other doctor. I would highly recommend him to anyone. I don't understand how anyone could give this doctor a poor rating!! His staff gets their work done quickly and efficiently with kindness and compassion!! Dr. Birch tells it straight and does not beat around the bush and I appreciate that because my health is important to me. If you can't handle facts, knowledge and honesty than maybe a walk-in clinic is best for you.

Submitted Aug. 13, 2010 | flag

I was referred to him because I had some health issues. I was releived when he began running tests, he knew what he was doing. I had my surgery and ended up in emerg. in pain 6 days later. He saw me the next day. That morning he seemed like he had no time for me, he seemed mad that I was there he spent 2 minutes with me and hardly gave me a follow up from what the surgery revealed. I was really upset after the appointment and couldn't believe what he told me and the way he told me. I decided to take a chance and write him a letter on how I felt after that appointment. He wrote me a very surprising letter and told me to find another doctor. I guess patients are delusioned into thinking that a doctor would actually appoligize.

Submitted April 29, 2010 | flag

Dr. Birch did a great job of my hysterectomy, but all the pre-op info at the Grace was BS. For some reason I was shipped off to the cardiology unit for post-op care because they had a bed! I was scheduled for surgery for months so how come no bed in the women's unit? As a result, I had no support and felt extremely isolated. Nobody from the Grace Women's Unit visited me and yet they were the ones who emphasized my attending the pre-op info mtg so I knew what to expect and what was available to me during recovery. Plus, the doctor's right-hand man did not include Gravol as one of my meds in recovery and I was pumping morphine... I was so sick and dizzy. Dr Birch make sure your support people are doing as good a job as you are, otherwise, you are only as good as the weakest link.

Submitted April 16, 2010 | flag