Rate Dr. Fred Mather

Dr. Fred Mather's Ratings

I'm a former patient. I saw him from when I was a child till I was in my early 20s. I was prescribed a medication when I was young, he never once reviewed it. My current doctor told me that it was a old medication and couldn't understand why I was still on it. This has cost me brain damage and some stomach and health issues. He could have killed me. I also happened to be transgendered and he refused to treat me at the time. Apparently, a few years ago he told my mother that he now has a new transgendered patient and that he wanted resources. Doesn't this guy have colleagues? Ever heard of the internet? I saw one of his nurse friends in a grocery store, she followed me around the store....really awkward!
This guy is just plain lazy. Best part, is that he actually admitted to my father that he misdiagnosed him and prescribed him the wrong medication.
Avoid this man at all costs....even if he's on call at the hospitals(St. Marys or Grand River), he's a scumbag.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2548677].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 23, 2014

I've been a patient of Dr. Mathers for over 20 years and I must say that I am very surprised to see some of these ridiculous comments and accusations of misconduct. Dr Mather is a good man and an excellent doctor. He has done a lot for me especially a few years ago, he has empathy and compasion for his patients, he may not show it but that's because that is his job. He may look up medications online but it is because medications are constantly changing and he wants to find the best possible solution. Every doctor office has a problem with being on time for appointments, but it is not their fault that they have thousands of patients to deal with. Their is obviously a doctor shortage because the Ontario gov doesn't pay them what they deserve. I commend Dr Mather for being the man he is and the excellent doctor that he is. People are narrow minded and don't look at the bigger picture. Dr Mather has always done a great job for me and I think people need should give him credit not condem him

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2111812].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 2, 2013

Dr Mather and his team have always treated me and my growing family wonderfully. As a family doctor he is knowledgeable, provides specialist referrals as required and medicates only when necessary. Many people abuse our health care system, my visits to the doctor are minimal, only a couple of times per year ( it's only this high b/c of the kids) Dr Mather has been my physician since I was a young child, I have nothing but respect for the man! I appreciate the level of care he has provided me and my boys!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2111811].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 24, 2012

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2111815].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 12, 2012

Dr. Mather has changed every medication that has 'worked' for her for years. She's in long term care, has no short term memory and has been declared incompetent to live alone or make decisions. As her Power of Attorney these changes ought to be discussed with me before they are made. I am looking into a law suit since my Mother was taken to hospital and her odd behaviour/symptoms were explained by me to ER staff AFTER I looked at his latest change to her medication. UNBELIEVABLE!!! Dr. Mather doesn't listen to me or to the nurse's at the nursing home. God knows why he makes decisions that do harm to his patients. I will get to the bottom of this one way or another. Perhaps a complaint to the College of Physicians and Surgeons would wake him up.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2111814].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 21, 2012

I was shocked to see some of these comments. Dr Mather has been my Dr since he started his practice on Union St. He has always been helpful and friendly with my children since they were born and they are teenagers now. He always asks my son about his hockey or racing. He even went so far as to make a house call on a Sunday when my husband was suffering from H1N1 a couple years ago. He would also call us to check in and see how we are doing on more than one occasion. His staff are friendly and helpful as well. Thank you for caring for my family and going over and above what most Drs will do.!Kim V

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2111810].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 2, 2011

I had to see Dr. Mather for my daughter and it took him about 20 mins with going online to determine what medication to give her. I then took the perscription to the pharmacist and he was unable to fill it as he said it was the wrong dose and this would harm her. UNBELIEVABLE Thank goodness that pharmacist knew what he was doing - he could have seriously harmed my already very sick daugther. Had to go to another doctor to get the right medication. WOULD NOT recommend. I can use the internet too, does that mean I can perscribe drugs? Stay away.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2111809].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 6, 2011

I have been a patient of Dr. Mather for a number of years but it is definitely getting annoying. His solution to my problems seems to be "come see me in 3 weeks." Everytime I tell him I would like to see a specialist, he tells me there is no need. I have been going to him with the same issue for a few years now yet he still insists nothing is wrong. It's sad that a walk-in clinic does more for me than him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2111808].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 3, 2011

I have had Dr. Mather as a family physician for almost 20 years and I must agree that Dr. Mather lacks the social skills to display any empathy. The wait times are rediculous and his staff are the perfect candidates for the eugenics program. Perhaps this critical review of his practice can be helpful to him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2111807].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 30, 2010

Dr. Mather himself is a reasonably competent doctor, but it is virtually impossible to get into see him. His staff's response is often "call Telehealth after 5:00pm and get them to refer you to the evening on call doctor." I eventually had to find someone else. In general, because of the doctor shortage in KW and the new lump sum funding through the Family Health Network, there's no impetus on doctors or their offices to try to actually see patients.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2111806].votes_count ]]