Rate Dr. Drew Bethune

Dr. Drew Bethune's Ratings

I went to Dr. Bethune today with concerns about chest pain and shortness of breath. I was very active but my physical limitations have increased rapidly as I grew and my pectus excavatum worsened. Within 4 minutes of my being in Dr. Bethune's office and talking about his days playing basketball for Dalhousie he had determined that my excavatum was nothing to be concerned about and the pain and shortness of breath was all in my head. My family has a terrible history when it comes to the health of our hearts, pectus can limit heart function due to limited space.I raised this concern with Dr. Bethune and he responded that I must have "read that nonsense on the internet" and that "you can't trust what you read". Strange, I figured the Oxford Journal of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery and the American Heart Association were quite reliable sources. It'd be nice to have a doctor up to date on the area of medicine in which he practices, the "brand new" Nuss Procedure was developed in 1987!

Submitted Dec. 16, 2013 | flag

His receptionist is horrible. However, it's worth it because Dr. Bethune is amazing at what he does.

Submitted Jan. 26, 2013 | flag

Right now I am only commenting on his secretary. It would be nice if she would answer the phone from time to time and even better if she would return a person's phone call the same day, if possible, or the next day. Other surgeon's secretaries are just as busy but will answer the phone. This 'lady' will not give you a one word answer,that is required for the question asked, even if she leaves a voice message. So, phone tag it is!

Submitted Dec. 7, 2012 | flag

I went in for a rib deformity and possible pectus excavatum and he turned me down flat. Even though for 10 plus years, I've been having breathing, pain, and sleeping issues due to my concave sternum and depressed rips. I just wanted to be able to play sports again and resume a normal pain free life. After a huge struggle to findly see someone like him, I was treated to the most stupid thing I've ever heard. His ultimate words of wisdom were: " Suck it up, and tough it out." Genius. Pure genius. Currently, I have been tested for Marfans and I now know I'm positive, with a huge family history it. I've been so bad lately that I've had to contact doctors in Toronto! Can you believe it. My advice to anyone with a chronic and outside the box problem is to avoid Bethune like the plague.

Submitted Nov. 1, 2012 | flag

dr. bethune is a wonderful doc. very helpful and is raedy and willing to help when ever i need him.goes above and beond for his patience.

Submitted Dec. 23, 2011 | flag

Dr Bethune preformed a First Rib Resection on me ( had thoracic outlet syndrom ) it took a long time but I feel much better now...thanks doc. thumbs up.

Submitted Dec. 3, 2009 | flag

I was treated by Dr Bethune for a pneumothorax in 2005. He was the surgeon to repair my lung and continued to monitor my health post op. I would recommend him to anyone in Nova Scotia with a lung problem. Thanks Dr Bethune!!

Submitted Oct. 14, 2009 | flag

Dr. Bethune saved my life. He performed an 8 hour operation (my fifth)which culminated in a full recovery after almost 2 years of rehab. His expertise and talent is rivaled by his bedside manner and honesty. If he's scheduled to take care of you, you're in the very best of hands.

Submitted Aug. 3, 2009 | flag

my husband had a vascular wedge procedure done April of 2008, we found Dr Bethune very honest in answering all of our questions and a very excellent surgeon my husband was released from hospital and has no other problems since the surgery a little over a year ago, we also found he was very polite and made us feel very comfertatble with my husbands condititon, he was very up front and honest and told us that what they had found on his lung from the ct scan could be scar tissue but because of his age being only 40 at the time it was very unlikely, it was more then a 90 percent chance it was a b9 tumour or cancer, well he was right it turned out to be a b9 tumour and he is fine now, Dr Bethune also explained all of our options to us very clearly in a manner that we understood. he is a marvelous surgeon and person I would recommend him to anyone

Submitted Aug. 2, 2009 | flag

I found Dr. Bethune to be helpful, honest and thorough as was his staff. My sternum was cut from top to bottom, the scaring is minor and healed rapidly.

Submitted March 4, 2008 | flag