Rate Dr. Daran L. Austen

Dr. Daran L. Austen's Ratings

Dr. Austen performed my bilateral mastectomy earlier this year. When I first met him to discuss the operation, he struck me as very compassionate and interested in ensuring I was an informed patient. I immediately felt comfortable. He took time to explain the process to me, and though I came in there being rather educated on it I was pleased he took the time to detail it out for me. He had great bedside manner as well. This carried through to the date of my surgery and afterward. Even though I was "released" after surgery to another surgeon for follow up, he came to check on me the day after to see how I was recovering. I also found his assistant (Shirley) to be great anytime I talked to her on the phone, as were the students he had with him at the consult, and later at surgery, and think his students are fortunate to learn under him. I appreciated how his student who was at the surgery even came by herself to see me bright and early the morning to check on how I was doing.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2446895].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 25, 2014

Dr Austen performed an Excision Intra ductal papilloma on me. Basically removing a small tumour and tissue from breast. He was very personable & friendly. During the Consultation he explained everything in detail and made me feel very comfortable knowing he was doing my surgery. Once the surgery was done and I was coherent Dr Austen checked in on me, to let me know how the Surgery went. He was also very caring and personable when giving me my Biopsy results. Post op I am doing good & Incision is healing well.. In the future if I need anymore un-expected surgeries done, Dr Austen would be on the top of my list. I would Rate him 5/5 Awesome!!!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1280928].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 4, 2014

Dr. Austen was absolutely wonderful to deal with. He is very pleasant and easy to talk to and answered all my questions .I am very pleased with my surgery, everything went very well. Just love him!!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1280927].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 3, 2012

I agree with another person who had a difficult time with him. Dr Austen was who I was referred to unfortunately. I was suffering with symptoms of gallbladder disease. Although tests clearly showed my gallbladder was diseased, he refused to remove it and was extremely rude. 7 months later and a 60+ weight loss my gallbladder was removed by emergency surgery. My liver started failing as a result. I was lucky to referred to another surgeon who was amazing, I credit my life to him. As a result of my diseased gallbladder being left in way too long, I now have problems with my liver. I have Dr Austen to thank for that:( I am very disgusted with him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1280929].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 23, 2012

Dr. Austen is exceptionally approachable, caring and sincere – answered all questions in detail. The laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair was effective, minimally invasive with virtually no residual bruising or pain - awesome job. I am very impressed and recommend Dr. Austen unequivocally!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1280926].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 22, 2011

Polite, jovial, answered all my questions, I never felt rushed. I have to candidly admit though that he made me blush a little. I was not expecting such a nice gentleman.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1280925].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 23, 2011

I am scheduled to see Dr. Austen again for another hernia. He repaired my painful inguinal hernia a year or so ago, and I had never been so happy to have that pain relieved. He was very attentive and had a great bedside manner. For someone like me, surgery is not a scary thing but I am aware of how extreme others can view a procedure so someone like Dr. Austen is a Godsend for anyone who might need to hear all the right answers and see a friendly face...

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1280924].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 18, 2011

Dr. Austen just performed my second mastectomy and I would highly recommend him. Not only is he a very good surgeon, he is also very caring and understanding.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1280923].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 4, 2011

Dr. Austen did a great job on my hernia, finally no pain! A+ all the way for Austen!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1280922].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 6, 2011

My experience with Dr. Austen a few months ago was horrific to put it nicely. After being sent to him, he sent in a resident to assess my condition in ER & after 6 long days of being in pain & running several tests, it was finally discovered that my appendix was causing my pain. He just then came to meet me only to suggest I be sent home, while on morphine for pain and with a high fever, to have it scheduled to be removed at a later date in 2 months. When I refused as I couldn't take the pain anymore, he took offence & left my room and referred my care to someone else. I was scheduled for emergency surgery within an hour, as it turned out my appendix was not only completely rotten, but had been going gangreen the whole time! Thank God for Dr. Lui who realized the severity and saved my life. I am unfortunately still recovering 3 months later from the after effects of the toxins in my system, no thanks to Dr. Austen. I would NEVER recommend him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1280921].votes_count ]]