You may also like

Rate Dr. Douglas Coleman

Dr. Douglas Coleman's Ratings

I totally agree with the comments submitted by a former client on February 6, 2015. This doctor's approach to addictions - (the archaic, 75-year old 12-step programme) has been proven to be ineffective scientifically. New research has found the success rate to be in the 5 to 10% range. Even AA admits to a "unscientific" success rate of only 30%. Additionally, a number of AA 12-step requirements have been proven harmful. This doctor makes a good living promoting a treatment which today's medical specialists are opposed to. Why? Because that's all he knows. How can he now change course in mid stream? He wont. It would be the end of his livelihood. I want to underscore the comments made on February 6, 2015. If you feel this doctor has acting unprofessionally file a complaint immediately with the BC COLLEGE OF PHYSICIANS AND SURGEONS. As a final note, former patients strongly suspected this doctor has people writing bogus, positive reviews.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2765082].votes_count ]]

Submitted April 2, 2015

If you have had a problem with this doctor file a complaint with the BC College of Physicians and Surgeons Complaints Department online . Doctors are obligated to operate their medical practice using evidenced based science. It is unethical for a doctor to ignore science and base his medical practice soley on a religeous self help group such as AA that may have been helpful for him.

Was this rating useful? 5 [[ userState['ratings'][2712366].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 6, 2015

I was referred to Dr. Coleman for rapid detox. This treatment was $7500. It cost me $50 to see him for a consultation. He then told me I was an excellent candidate for this program. I was told to pay $1500 upon my next visit which I did. After I paid he almost immediately told me I wasn't a good candidate and told me the money was non-refundable. Do not trust this crooked doctor!

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][2562372].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 3, 2014

Dr. Coleman is one of the most caring doctors you could hope to meet. Although his honesty sometimes stings, it will save your life. I know, because it saved mine!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1290227].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 10, 2012

I just passed my fifteen year anniversary of being sober and I am now online trying to find Dr.Coleman's address so I can send him a thank you card for all his help. I'm not surprised at how many people here dislike him. He is not in practice to hold your hand and give you sympathy. He is fighting addiction and he can sense b.s. a mile away. When I was in early recovery I went to his office in an extremely angry state. I was angry and indignant that I had taken back my wife and she had screwed around on me again. I thought Coleman would understand how I felt and at least empathize with someone who was going through a tough time. Instead he heard my whiny spiel, said "Your attitude is terrible and you are on the road to relapse" and walked out. I was amazed. I cursed him internally for about fifteen minutes, half the way home, until I realized....he's right. And if I don't let go of this, I'll be **** soon. Thank you for truth instead of sympathy Doug. Sympathy kills ****s! Herb S.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1290225].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 28, 2011

i wrote this and want to thank dr. coleman and his staff for assisting in my continuing recovery.thinking what for all the problems of the world? they are for thinking how to save all? they are for thinking the mind is a beautiful thing they are for thinking beautiful thoughts - save the world they are for thinking who are you in this place? they are for thinking every thing you say or do they are for thinking feeling sorrow about the ones who left you behind they are for thinking loss and hardship they are for thinking and then a thought about peace they did not think and peace fills the heart they did not think a moment to rest they are not thinking THERESA WALKER

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1290224].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 30, 2011

I feel very fortunate to have stumbled upon this web site. If my comments disuade just 1 person from seeing this guy I will have performed a valuable service. The naysayers herein have pretty much said it all. Just read every negative comment-that is Dr. Coleman in a nutshell. The words that come to my mind most strongly are: arrogant, beyond-rude, argumentative, my way/highway, unprofessional, unscholled, ego issues, low EI & perhaps emotionally suspect. I'm seriously considering a formal complaint with the BC College of Physicians and Surgeons as I believe disciplinary action may be warranted. This man is not fit to practise medicine in my view. Of further significance is the fact he is not certified by the "Canadian Society Of Addiction Medicine" unlike several addiction doctors in the greater Vancouver area. Please don't give up. There are good professionals out there who'll treat you with kindness, dignity and respect. Search online, call "Fraser Health". HELP'S THERE, FIND IT!

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][1290223].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 27, 2011

Dr. Coleman is the most unprofessional Dr I have ever meet. He is Rude, very arrogant, and makes it clear not to ask any questions but to only sit and answer questions that he asks. Just make sure you answer correctly. He has a habit of kicking people out if they say something he doesn't like. I found this out yesterday when he over heard me speaking to his office staff regarding a question I was asked about some short term disability forms I desperately needed to have sent so I could continue receiving disability payments in order to get the treatment I so desperately need. He told me to leave his office, to never make another appointment and to never come back. I felt so mistreated and left his office crying. He has no empathy, respect or regard for the welfare or feelings of his patients. A person in his position should never get away with treating a patent like this. I was only In need of help. He should not get away with that kind of behavior to me or anyone.

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][1290222].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 12, 2011

In 1995, my first impression of Dr. Coleman was not a very positive one. At each session, he made me feel so badly about myself, that I just wanted to "use" more than I had prior to the visits. However, after a long absense from his care, it seems that there is a definite improvement in his behaviour; his demeanor has changed completely. He is now showing some empathy toward me and my constant relapses. I now feel as though I am empowered in fighting this disease. Thanks, Dr. C; I didn't give up on you. Although I must say that these same years have not been kind to your receptionist. She is still cold, unprofessional, and must be a truly sad woman deep inside.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][1290221].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 2, 2011

This man helped me save myself from the brink. I found him direct but warm and professional. Although he is a big supporter of AA and the 12 Step approach, he respected my choice not to make use of this methodology. I would recommend him highly if you are really wanting to get clean, follow his recommendations and work really hard. Dr. Coleman is an addicitions physician, not a therapist. If you want warm fuzzies, get that elsewhere. He is a no nonsens-been there-seen that kind of guy & that kind of doctor.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1290220].votes_count ]]