You may also like

Rate Dr. William Parker

Dr. William Parker's Ratings

Dr. Parker is Cool!

I went to four different doctors in my area and none of them would take out my fibroids because I was told they were too big and that I needed a hysterectomy. After reading a few books on hysterectomies I decided that was not the route I wanted to go. During this time it just so happened I came across Dr. Parker's website a second opinion. After reading through the reviews such as you are now doing. I made an appointment and within three months I was fibroid free. I am still healing, but I have no regrets, it was the right decision for me. I hope this helped.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2790422].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 27, 2015

Though I live in Saint Paul, Minnesota, I came to know Dr. Parker in 2014 after learning I had an 8cm fibroid that was causing me to hemorrhage and feel trapped in a struggle with anemia, fatigue and depression. Had it not been for the FDA's Safety Communication five months earlier discouraging the use of power morcellation in removing fibroids, I might never have found my way to Dr. Parker's pleasant Santa Monica office and into his exceptional care.

As a thirty-five year-old mother of two school-aged children, I was desperate for relief from my fibroid symptoms so that I could support my children through their own medical challenges. At a time when I needed compassionate care and minimally invasive treatment options to get back on my feet quickly, I was disheartened to find doctors who seemed rushed, ill-informed and under-confident in providing the care I needed. Both of the highly recommended surgeons I met with in my area cited the flawed FDA analysis that I might have a 1 in 350 chance of spreading an undetected uterine cancer if I decided to have the fibroid removed laparoscopically.

The first OBGYN I saw said he would be willing to attempt a myomectomy, but expressed a strong preference for a hysterectomy by removing my uterus, fibroid, and cervix through my vagina using a scissor and scalpel. When I asked in shock if such a radical-sounding procedure would require removing my fallopian tubes and ovaries, he replied that he could "take" those as well, if I wanted. The second OBGYN I saw agreed that due to the cancer risk - again citing the FDA's flawed analysis - a hysterectomy was the safest option, but suggested she could remove the fibroid through a navel incision with a scalpel - a procedure she admitted (after I asked) she had done only once.

What a relief to find Dr. Parker after entering the words "fibroid" and "cancer" into a Google search. His website is a gift to women like me, filled with reassuring information supported by well-designed peer-reviewed studies, all of which calmed my fears about having a sarcoma. As impressed as I am with Dr. Parker's research and clinical expertise, what impresses me more is his kindness and willingness to be an ally for women. Not only did he (and his website) reassure me that my chances of having a sarcoma were small (more like 1 in 1,500) and that he could remove my fibroid laparoscopically, he reassured me that it is both reasonable and wise for me to want to keep my uterus.

Working with Dr. Parker has been a pleasure. He started all of our appointments on-time, allowed plenty of time for discussion and questions and treated my husband and me with warmth and respect. My husband said it felt great for a doctor, especially a surgeon in high demand, to feel so present during appointments and at no point make us feel rushed. Dr. Parker and his staff made every effort to help us feel at ease before, during and after the surgery. He spoke with my husband immediately after the surgery and reported that everything had gone perfectly. I had minimal blood loss and no complications.

At my post-op appointment he shared with us that during the surgery he found a small paratubal cyst and a few small spots of endometriosis. He removed the cyst and sent it to pathology along with the fibroid (both of which were benign) and cauterized the endometriosis. I felt as if I'd had a gynecologic tune up. At the end of the appointment he walked us out and offered a heartfelt goodbye that made it clear this man loves what he does and realizes the difference his empathic care makes in the lives of his patients.

Now, eleven weeks after surgery, I'm full of gratitude to have steadily improving health, to have energy again to do the things I love, and to have my uterus. Not only has Dr. Parker helped me heal from having a fibroid, he's helped me heal from the experience of finding a surgeon to remove it.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2790074].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 27, 2015

Best Decision, Best Doctor EVER!!

My ordeal began over five years ago when I started to frequent the bathroom much more often than normal. It was soon discovered that I had a small pedunculated fibroid. Instead of rushing into any type of surgery we decided to take the "wait and watch" route.

In follow-up checks, my relatively small fibroid was continuing to grow but strangely enough and to my excitement my symptom had disappeared. Being that it was now not symptomatic, we continued to just wait and monitor it.

Time went on and my health insurance changed as did my doctor. In seeing my new doctor, I was strongly advised to leave the fibroid alone and not consider surgery. I was told removing it would cause much more damage and more complications than leaving it there. I was also told that the surgery could have a negative impact on trying to get pregnant, as removing it could cause damage to my uterus. I do not have any children yet but plan to, so hearing this scared me even more. I sincerely believed this doctor and therefore was now extremely afraid of surgery.

I still continued to have it checked and knew it had to be growing because not only did I feel it but I saw it protruding from my belly. My doctor was still insistent on leaving it alone and told me it wasn't any bigger. (Never was an MRI suggested to truly gauge the size).

This fibroid was now looming over me daily. Each morning laying in bed I'd see this large bump, I knew it couldn't just stay in there, this wasn't right and was causing me nothing but grief and anxiety! The stress of this was increasing, my need to frequent the bathroom returned but now being so terrified of this surgery, I was frozen! So I just continued to suffer feeling I had no option.

...But...it couldn't stay in there much longer. As my belly started to grow and grow I knew something had to be done.
I started researching on the internet hoping to find an answer, the right answer, my answer and thankfully I DID! I came across Dr. Parker's website and in an instant knew...here is my answer! Not even having met him yet, I already felt such a sense of relief in just knowing there is a doctor/surgeon out there who is such an expert in this field. I called immediately. Once my required MRI was completed, I scheduled my appointment and met with Dr. Parker. To my dismay, my fibroid grew to 20cm! Dr. Parker was not concerned nor shaken by the size. In fact, he even said he could possibly remove it laparoscopically. I decided to have it removed abdominally but WOW, to say you can possibly remove such a large mass laparoscopically speaks such volumes to Dr. Parker's immense skill and ability! He exudes such confidence and made me feel so comfortable, so at ease, so relaxed.

This fibroid, this surgery that I feared for so many years, I now was eager to tackle and get rid of once and for all!...and this is because of the wonderful doctor I had before me! He gave me such strength. I knew all was going to be fine in his capable and skilled hands.

Surgery went without a hitch. Of course the morning of, I was a little anxious but when Dr. Parker came to see me before going in, his calming spirit quickly put me in a relaxed state of mind. My hospital stay was only two nights and was very pleasant, as were all of the nurses/staff. Dr. Parker saw me each morning and called each night.

Recovery has gone great. I am just amazed at the low level of discomfort I experienced after having a nearly "Five Pound" fibroid removed! Because Dr. Parker cares so much and wants to keep his patients as comfortable as possible, he places a pain pump (that stays in for about five days) which automatically releases an anesthetic directly into the incision site to manage, control, nearly eliminate pain. It's awesome! I never had the need to take any pain meds. My first week post-op I was already moving about on my own with little trouble. I attribute this to Dr. Parker's remarkable and gentle surgical skills. Amazing. Simply Amazing! I feel fantastic and I'm finally fibroid free!!

Dr. Parker really is unlike any other. He genuinely cares about his patients and restoring their lives. He truly is a blessing! To be in his care is an honor!

Thank You Dr. Parker for giving me my life back. This huge weight both literally and mentally has been lifted and I can breathe free again! You are my hero!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2781370].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 18, 2015

“Fibroids? What’s that?” I asked my gynecology nurse practionier. “Oh, it’s just a fibroid – it’s nothing to worry about.” Well, guess what – it apparently was something to worry about…

Over time I had noticed a large lump on my abdomen and started experiencing slightly heavier periods. My gynecologist ordered an ultrasound and discovered multiple fibroids. He then placed me on Provera supposedly to turn off further menstruation and referred me to a surgeon. Unfortunately, it took nearly four months to get in to see the first of several surgeons. During that time the Provera, which was supposed to have stopped my cycles so as to prevent heavy bleeding did just the opposite. I ended up with non-stop extremely heavy bleeding everyday with fist sized blood clots. It was terrifying to say the least.

When I finally had my appointment with the surgeon I was told my uterus was comparable to a 22 week pregnancy and there were “too many fibroids to count.” The surgeon explained I would have to have at least 4 blood transfusions and a minimum of two surgeries, and even then there was no guarantee I would be able to keep my uterus. I began looking for another surgeon for a second opinion and during this time I had collected my medical records from both the surgeon and my regular gynecologist and found other “phantom” Doctors had been consulted on my case without my knowledge. My records were full of comments such as, “Forget about it – keeping the uterus is out of the question”, “She should have a hysterectomy”, “Patient appeared paralyzed regarding surgery decision”, and “If does not utilize donor eggs/IVF, then total abdominal hysterectomy only.”, and finally, “that boat has already sailed”.

I found another surgeon for a second opinion on my case. This Doctor ordered an MRI and was able to at least tell me about the number and sizes of the fibroids. Unfortunately, he continually explained that he did not truly know if my tumors were cancerous or not and wanted to perform a surgery right away. He stated his method would be a large vertical incision during a minimum six hour long surgery in which I more than likely would lose the uterus anyway, or be left with “a non-functional piece of salami” for a uterus.

After seeing several Doctors I was frustrated and at my wits end. I started searching the internet for information on fibroids and came across Dr. Parker’s website fibroidsecondopinion.com. I decided to forward a copy of my MRI to Dr. Parker not even sure I would ever receive a response. A few days later, I received a phone call from Dr. Parker’s office stating he would like to take me as a patient and I scheduled a phone consultation. The phone consultation was incredible – I had a list of over 20 questions I had sent to Dr. Parker before our phone call and he took the time to answer every single one of them and not once seemed rushed or impatient with me. I knew that this was the Doctor to perform my surgery even though I had never met him face to face. I immediately booked a surgery.

My family truly thought traveling from Denver to Los Angeles to have a surgery was absolutely crazy, and there were many unfounded fears and irrational arguments but in the end it was the best decision I have ever made. Dr. Parker repaired my enlarged 21 week sized uterus with multiple subserosal and intramural fibroids including one endometrial polyp -- and I still have my uterus, and I didn’t have to have a single unit of blood during surgery.

Dr. Parker was truly amazing. He checked in on me twice a day while in the hospital. He called me every evening to see how I was feeling. I was out of the hospital within three days and was able to walk, go out to restaurants, and walk the beach. I would highly recommend Dr. Parker. He definitely goes above and beyond. Dr. Parker put sunshine back into my life, a spring in my step and a smile on my face and I feel like I have my life back again. Words just can’t describe how thankful and blessed I am to have found Dr. Parker.

If you are like me and are frustrated, scared, confused, and just feeling hopeless about your fibroid situation take it from me: there is hope and miracles do happen. Be strong and don’t be afraid – get a second opinion from Dr. Parker!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2780489].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 17, 2015

If I could create the ideal doctor in a laboratory, this doctor would be experienced, use the latest surgical techniques, be compassionate, kind, caring, and be personable and responsive to my needs. Dr. Parker is this doctor and much more, the kind of doctor that I did not think even existed prior to meeting him. He is a doctor that really does care about women and the issue of fibroids. My nickname for him is the Fibroid King, and he truly lived up to that in every way-I cannot recommend him enough.

I was diagnosed with a fibroid approximately 7 years ago. For those 7 years, I had decided to try to manage the fibroid with acupuncture, diet, and herbs until I reached menopause, hoping then that it would shrink on its own. For most of those 7 years I felt I was successful, and although it had grown to the size of a grapefruit, it did not cause me problems that were not manageable, until about 6 months ago. All of a sudden it felt much larger and it was much more bothersome, causing intense pressure on my bladder, backaches and fatigue. I decided to explore my options. I found Dr. Parker online and made an appointment. Upon meeting him, I was extremely impressed with not only his experience and knowledge, but the amount of time he spent with my husband and I, explaining everything we needed to know about the possible surgeries I could have and also the choice to not have surgery. I then saw a doctor that my primary doctor referred me to, just for a comparison. I left that doctor’s office crying! I was actually appalled at the lack of professionalism compared to Dr. Parker. It was then that I knew that Dr. Parker was the only doctor for me.

Three weeks ago he performed an abdominal myomectomy to remove my very large fibroid (cantaloupe sized!) from the wall of my uterus, and I could not be happier that I had him perform this operation.

Although I am 53 years old and do not need to preserve my uterus for childbirth, I wanted to preserve my ‘original equipment’. Throughout the entire process Dr. Parker could not have improved a thing-he is so skilled and experienced and he really does listen to your every concern and question. The amount of time he takes with you as a patient made me feel like I was his only patient. I’ve never met such a down to earth, caring and intelligent doctor. The entire process at the hospital was wonderful, and I was able to leave the next day after the surgery. Since then the wonderful care and attention has continued and the healing process has been going along beautifully. I could not be happier with the decision I made and am looking forward to living my life fibroid free!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2779292].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 16, 2015

My relatively harmless fibroids had grown quadruple in less than a year. I was told by my OBGYN that I needed a myomectomy. This would be my first real surgery. I was on a quest to find the best doctor. I had family members who had done this surgery before, so I had seen the complications and didn’t want to take any chances. I had a consultation with Dr Parker, he patiently explained the surgery to me (It took 35 to 40 min.) as opposed to other doctors who have 15 min visitation time. They either assumes you don’t understand because you are not a doctor or they just have to get to the next patient. Naturally I had made my decision half way through the consultation.
I was told that I had 5 fibroids. The largest one was the size of a grapefruit; my stomach was comparable to a 4m pregnant woman. Despite the MRI, it turned out I had 10 fibroids. Dr Parker removed all of them, including the smallest one (1 mm diameter!) The entire surgery took only 1.5 hours. Dr Parker’s attention & care towards his patients is remarkable. There were many post-op check-ups & calls to make sure everything is fine. My experience both with the Dr Parker & UCLA hospital was outstanding. My family and I have been to many “famous private” hospitals in the US and Europe, UCLA was as good if not better. After going through this procedure I wouldn’t have done this operation with anyone other than Dr Parker.

Was this rating useful? 4 [[ userState['ratings'][2695722].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 24, 2015

Piece of cake. I had a 3-pound, pedunculated fibroid removed via abdominal myomectomy. This is my very FIRST surgery, and needless to say I was terrified not only of the surgery, but the anesthesia (being put under completely) the recovery time and the pain. I did my research and I knew what I was going to be up against. Yes you do have pain, limited mobility and feel you did 1000 sit up ‘s but it’s really not that bad. However, I am completely convinced that my positive experience was a direct result of the phenomenal care and expertise of Dr. William Parker.

All the positive reviews you will read about Dr. Parker are 100% accurate. He was the 3rd doctor I consulted with regarding my fibroid and when I left his office I knew he would be the doctor I would wholeheartedly trust to handle my surgery. Why? Bottom line he cares. He cares about you as a person and as a patient. I loved that he really took his time to discuss my fibroid treatment in detail. As we sat in his office, I felt absolutely no rush to end my visit, even though he had other clients waiting. He offered up a wealth of information including a detailed review of my MRI, my surgical options, pros and cons, and what to expect after surgery. Also for those not faint of heart he provided me with a YouTube link to one of his abdominal myomectomy surgeries so I could see first hand exactly what is going to take place.

The day of surgery I was obviously nervous but as I made my way through the check in process and met the entire staff, and I knew I was in good hands. The UCLA Santa Monica Facility is very nice and well run. Before I knew it, surgery was over, I was in post op and being prepped to transferred to my room. I was in no pain and had minimal to no side effects from the anesthesia, just a little groggy. I stayed in the hospital for 2 days and Dr. Parker visited me every morning and called me every afternoon to check in (keep your phone within reach!) This formality was so comforting. He also has strict post op monitoring instructions for the nurses so several times a day and night your vitals will be taken.

I waited to write this review, as I wanted to be at least 5-6 weeks post op so I could give you overall idea of the whole process. What to expect: You will go home with a catheter, which is inserted right near your incision area. It’s basically a localized pain drip system that literally takes the pain away. I did not need oral pain meds until about 2 days post op. And that was only once a day. This system is miraculous! Since your whole core is compromised you will learn to use your arms to hoist yourself up instead of your stomach muscles. You will be constipated which is always a side affect of surgery, but just follow Dr. Parkers regimen and you will be fine. You will feel numbness around the incision and tenderness on your stomach. I heard the numbness lasts for quite a while but nothing to be concerned about. A thick like cord will form under the incision, which I was told was collagen 2, that forms around foreign bodies (inside stiches). It’s hard and bulky which kind of freaked me out but again Dr. Parker explained that this collagen 2 will dissipate and be replaced with another collagen that is thin and flexible and flat. It has gone down tremendously since the operation however I hear it will take about 4-6 months to disappear completely. I started walking around the day of surgery. It was slow and you walk a bit bent over like and 90 year old but after the 1st week my pace picked up as well as my overall mobility. The first week I only took pain medication at night right before I went to sleep. And if you are like me that you can’t sleep on your back I managed to sleep on my side by propping a pillow between my legs, which really seemed to help the discomfort. By week two I was able to do everything on my own, the pain was pretty much gone and my energy level was back. I would only get tired early evening. By week three I was not taking any more pain medication and I felt just a bit of tenderness around the incision but other than that I would say I was pretty much back to normal. The doctor and I agreed that although I was feeling great I would not start my full blow exercise routine until week 6 to let the insides heal. In my 4th week I began walking (not running) the trails and also walking the stairs and lightweight training for my arms. My 5th week is coming to an end, and people ask me, how I’m doing. I have to stop and remember that they are talking about my surgery and recovery. It’s seems as though I’ve completely forgotten I ever had it. That’s how far I’ve come in 5 weeks!

Was this rating useful? 4 [[ userState['ratings'][2679085].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 10, 2015

I knew my ordeal was over at my first appointment with Dr. William Parker. We looked at my pelvic MRI images on his computer and he explained about the fibroids and the reasons for the symptoms including the painful heavy periods, anemia and potential infertility. He pointed out the multiple smaller fibroids in addition to the bigger ones that were mentioned on the MRI report. He recommended abdominal myomectomy to remove all the fibroids. He put the important information together and it all finally made sense. He answered all my questions thoroughly and patiently. He is such a nice person and very smart! I just wish someone pointed him out to me at the very moment I was diagnosed with fibroid. It could have saved me a lot of stress, time and energy. I thank the HERS foundation for guiding me to Dr. Parker finally. That same day I saw Dr. Parker, I set up the appointment for the surgery to be done about 3months later. I cannot begin to explain the sense of relief I felt from that day on.
Three days before the surgery, I had the pre-op appointment at Dr. Parker’s office. He went over the surgery plan with me. I felt very lucky that I was in safe hands. I also received papers with very helpful and well organized information. It included things to expect after the surgery that Dr. Parker mentioned, and some tips about shopping to do before the surgery. It was a very helpful reference!
On the day of the surgery, from the moment I arrived at the UCLA Medical Center at Santa Monica, I noticed how all the different personnel and nurses knew their job and parts they played and how it all synced perfectly; it was impressive how smooth everything went. I was a bit anxious being in a hospital environment and anticipating my surgery. But Dr. Parker came to see me before the surgery and he put me at ease. Post-surgery, I did not feel much pain from the actual surgery area thanks to the ON-Q device that Dr. Parker put on the incision area. The next morning, Dr. Parker showed me pictures of all the fibroids that were removed – there were 9 fibroids! He continued to visit me every morning and called at the end of the day to check on how my day went while I stayed at the hospital for 3.5days. He was very thoughtful and caring. There were several people I met from the time I registered to the time I left the hospital, and everyone was very helpful.
One the 5th day after the surgery, I went back to Dr. Parker’s office for suture removal. He removed all the tapes, ON-Q catheter and suture, and replaced the Steri-Strips. He was gentle and the procedure was painless and quick. Talking to him about the new symptoms I felt after leaving the hospital - particularly the period-like bleeding, he put me at ease once again. He answered all the questions I had in mind. After I got back to my hotel, I tried to show the result to my mother since the wound covers were removed. It was amazing how we could not instantly locate the exact incision area. My mother was looking close to the general area that had Steri-Strips and her first reaction was “where is it?” Even after we located the incision area, it looked like a thin skin fold; there were no bruises and it was very clean. The incision location was also perfect – it was a horizontal incision low in the bikini area. It was a great work! Dr. Parker is awesome :)
Today is the very first day of a new year for 2015. It has been about 3 weeks since my surgery to remove all the fibroids from my uterus. My recovery has been going smooth so far. And I am looking forward to a fresh start to a healthier life thanks to Dr. Parker!

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2668456].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 1, 2015

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2656031].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 17, 2014

When I found out I had a grapefruit size fibroid inside of my uterus, I was devastated. I am only 27 and a hysterectomy is just unthinkable. I conducted a lot of research and scheduled consultations with numerous doctors. After meeting Dr. Parker, I knew I found the right person. Dr. Parker is one of the most amazing doctors I’ve ever met. He is experienced, knowledgeable and very personable. There are so many great things I wish to say about him and I don’t even know where to start…so I guess I will work chronologically.

Dr. Parker is very busy and I had to wait some time before I was able to schedule an appointment with him. But sometimes…the best thing is worth waiting for. What surprised me was when I went to my first appointment I did not have to wait at all in the waiting room. Unlike most doctors who schedule 2-3 patients at a specific timeframe and it’s always full of people in the waiting room, there was no one in the waiting room except me. Dr. Parker’s nurse took me in right away and he was waiting for me in his office. I really loved that! It shows me that Dr. Parker respects his patients and their time even though he is extremely busy. During our first consultation, Dr. Parker spent an hour with me explaining the surgical procedure and answering all of my questions. Not a single moment where I felt like he was rushing me to leave. But the most important thing was he is very knowledgeable and an experienced surgeon. There are good doctors, but not every doctor is a good surgeon.

Due to Dr. Parker’s packed surgery schedule, my surgery was scheduled 3 months later. After one month, I couldn’t take it anymore because the fibroid was affecting my personal and professional life. I was also very anemic. I did not want to go to any other doctor. After being very persistent, I was able to schedule another appointment with Dr. Parker and even though his schedule was very backed up, he agreed to give me an earlier surgery date. I was so relieved and happy!

On the day of my surgery, Dr. Parker came to see me right before my surgery and answered any concerns I had. The surgery was a breeze. I had a good dream because I knew I was in good hands and woke up fibroid-free. Dr. Parker called me at night to check up on me. He came to see me in the morning and called me again in the evening. He is so down to earth and he truly cares about his patients.

Dr. Parker’s surgery skills are superb and he uses advanced technology. I suffered very little pain throughout the entire process. He told me I broke the world record when I told him I went to work after one week of recovery (I had a myomectomy). All thanks to him! My scar also looks amazing so far. Living in LA, I am always in my bikini, so I’m glad no scar will be visible. I recommend Dr. Parker to any woman suffering from fibroid! Don’t be discouraged by the wait if you have to wait a little; don’t be discouraged by the distance if you have to travel a little. It’s your body, you want the BEST surgeon to work on it and he is that person!

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2646970].votes_count ]]