Dr. Charles Douglas Smith

Dr. Charles Douglas Smith

Rate Dr. Charles Douglas Smith

Dr. Charles Douglas Smith's Ratings

I was diagnosed in the early!! 70's.I was 11 years old and Dr Egils Mierins was my rheumatologist!! Dr. Mierins was a VERY unique character; he marched to the beat of his own drummer!Later on ( same decade, but LATER!!), I was introduced to Dr. Smith....a resident I guess (?) and learning rheumatology (?) from Dr Mierins. This was at the General , so I was lucky enough to also have Dr. Karsh (a wonderful, kind, and understanding genius!)on my side as well! Years came and went...I tried many different meds....some worked, like GOLD SHOTS!!...in my mid 20's....and, being somewhat of a unique character myself, I went away,...finally returning in 1998.I needed some medical advice..(Re:Rheumatoid arthritis...etc)and called the BEST doctor EVER, Dr. Smith...who agreed to see me...!!!(as tho' time had stood still!!...kinda..!) I am now on mtx injections and leflonomide....( for the last 9 years)and feel great!!Can't wait to see him in June, I loves him as MY Dr and his taste in music!!!!

Submitted May 21, 2014 | flag

Being new to the area, I looked for the best Rheumy in Ottawa for Lupus, and all of my research brought me back to Dr. Charles Douglas Smith. He is such a good Dr, and a nice man and being in his care is such a relief. Having a chronic illness is difficult enough, one doesn't want to worry about whether they're receiving proper care. He has a gentle demeanor, and walks softly around diagnoses to make sure you're settled and ready for what's next. He listens, answers questions thoroughly. Really, I am just so happy I landed him as my Rheumy.

Submitted Aug. 25, 2013 | flag

Very warm, compassionate and welcoming. Knowledgeable and made me feel very comfortable. I feel very well looked after. His resident was equally pretty special!

Submitted Nov. 30, 2012 | flag

extremely caring and available. need more doctors like him who look at the whole person

Submitted July 15, 2012 | flag

Dr. Doug Smith is one in a million . We are so lucky to have him in Ottawa. He is so bright, and so very kind. I have had him for twenty years, and don't know what I will do when he retires. Thank you Dr. Smith.

Submitted Sept. 5, 2011 | flag

Remarkably empathic and sensitive to patient needs, levels of comprehension and understanding. Impressive.

Submitted April 7, 2011 | flag

For all of you patients out there, I am a resident and I can tell you that Dr Smith is THE BEST RHEUMATOLOGIST in Ottawa, so next time you complain about how late his clinics run (and they do run late), remember that you cannot possibly be in any better hands than his! It's worth the wait.

Submitted Feb. 19, 2011 | flag

Dr. Douglas Smith is everything (and more) a physician should be....brilliant/knowledgeable, kind, compassionate, caring, honest, trustworthy, patient,..... He is much too modest to suffer from the "God complex", but in my opinion, he is the closest thing to Him/Her when it comes to medicine and healing! I am one of his lupus patients (for 20+ years), and consider myself to be very blessed to be in his care.

Submitted March 14, 2010 | flag

Dr. Doug Smith is the most compassionate doctor I have met over the years of dealing with arthritis.I am greatful to have had him for about twenty years.

Submitted May 20, 2009 | flag

Dr. Smith is compassionate, extremely knowledgeable and passionate about helping you get well. He truly cares about his patients.

Submitted Jan. 23, 2009 | flag