Rate Dr. Yamona Kalyanpur

Dr. Yamona Kalyanpur's Ratings

I'm sure Dr K has a lot of experience behind her, but I didn't feel like I was taken care of very well. She was my OB for our first baby in 2009. Wait time was at least an hour (is that typical and if so, why the wait, why not just bump everyone back an hour?). Over an hour long sit in the waiting room for prenant women is especially frustrating. The appointments would be very standard, and not much conversation. Everything I told her I was feeling I was told was just normal for any pregnancy. She doesn't like generic brand drugs. She said taking a generic brand prenatal pill is not the time to be cheap. I compared the ingredients and they were the same. She still insisted I should go for the brand name. I feel like she is too busy. I hear she has since closed the practice at one of the locations, hopefully this will help her workload.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1314247].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 23, 2012

Dr. K delivered my first a couple of years ago...I think she did a great job and you can tell she has a heart..but does come off as rude. And after you have had a c-section and you have 'made it out' to your first doctors apt with new child in tow, you only want to see smily faces.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1314246].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 21, 2010

I cant say one positive word about this Doctor. She was rude and dismissive to my questions telling me I need a prenatal class to answer them as my Ob it was not her job. I actually thought she was joking until she mentioned to my husband we are not making enough effort as parents by not attending a pre natal regardless of the fact we had 12weeks to go at the time and had booked the class she just assumed otherwise. My husband was disgusted. She done an internal exam without gloves and when the results came back failed to tell me the important results that could have affected my baby’s health detrimentally. I told this doctor I was bleeding and lost my mucus plug at 30 weeks she dismissed my claim and at 33I found I was going into preterm labor after having an ultrasound if it was not stopped my baby could have been born quite ill with lung problems. The nurses at my hospital were more than happy to share their experiences they had with Dr. Kalyanpur I found not one positive comment.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1314245].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 15, 2010

Dr. Kalyanpur delivered both of my children-both High risk. My son was born 20 years ago at BC Womens Hospital. Things seemed risky so she put me in the pregnancy ward for 5 days- a couple weeks before my due date. She was being safe, caring and fabulous. My daughter was born 12 years ago at Richmond Hospital. She made everything go great in a high risk pregnancy.She is an angel! Warm and loving. (Vera Smart)

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1314244].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 27, 2009

I have been going to Dr. K for over 25 years and she has always been 100%. My daughters now go to her and she is taking excellant care of them. I had originally been sent to a Dr. who was more interested in developing equipment. Basically told me my problem was in my head - I almost bled out in a washroom. I am pleased she is delivering my first grandchild.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1314243].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 8, 2009

Dr. Kalyanpur delivered all my 3 children and I have no hesitation on recommending her to any patients. She is older, but very experienced.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1314242].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 11, 2009

Dr. Kalyanpur helped me with the birth of both my children. I have mixed feeling about Dr. Kalyanpur. I do believe she means well and is extremely knowledgeable and caring. She just works too much (on call and has a lot of patients), and sadly may be too old. she came late when my first was born because "she didn't think my first would arrive after only 9hrs of labour" but she stitched me up well and the follow up was good. With my second child she was there the whole time and was very good with prenatal care and delivery. However, I did end up with a uterus infection. I think because I had a latex sensitivity the staff took too long looking for the proper material for when I asked for pain gas during stitch up. Anyways when I called her with my symptoms of high fever etc. She was excellent with directing me and meeting me right away at the hospital. Where there was a need for another specialist more experienced with infections she was on top of it and thorough.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1314241].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 11, 2009

I have been one of Dr. Kalyanpur's patients for 8 years. She diagnosed an ovarian cyst which I had removed 5 years ago. I am now pregnant with my first child. I had severe abdominal pain and Dr. Kalyanpur was on duty at Richmond General Hospital. Within a 1/2 hr of arriving at the hospital, she treated me (in between performing 2 c-sections on other patients.) I was quite impressed with the level of service and knowledge that I received from Dr. Kalyanpur that day. She's an Obstetrian so she has an unpredictable schedule delivering babies - but she went out of her way to make time for me that day.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1314240].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 19, 2009

I have seen her off and on for years now and she always seemed friendly and sometimes helpful, referred me to another surgeon when she felt it needed to be done. I have spoken to many people who had their babies delivered by her and some feel that maybe it is time for her to retire,she was quite forgetful with me a few times, the only neg thing I can say is yes, as posted previously, the examiming rooms have really freaked me out, not just messy, but extremely dirty, and outdated equipment, I think that this is the responsibility of her staff, and not so much the doctor herself.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1314239].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 23, 2009

After reading the comments, I wonder if some people were seeing a different doctor. My experience with Dr. Kalyanpur was great. Women (men too, I suppose) go to this doctor for help, and she certainly helped me. Diagnosed and treated the problem. The office follow-up was excellent. Friendly and informative. True, her appointments got backed up, but the nature of her practice does not allow for a strict schedule. Babies are born when they need to be born, likely in the middle of the night. So, thank you for being there for us Doctor. You are doing an excellent job.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1314238].votes_count ]]