Dr. David McMullen

Rate Dr. David McMullen

Dr. David McMullen's Ratings

I've been seeing Dr. McMullen for almost a year, and I have to say that he is the best mental health professional that I have ever dealt with. I was suicidal when I was referred to him and I didn't even have to wait a month for my first appointment. He has always taken my questions and concerns seriously, and quite frankly he is the first one to do so. Throughout my treatment, he has offered different Rx's--he doesn't push them, he just let's me know that they're available--but he always leaves the decision up to me. We have had many conversations about the advantages and disadvantages of different meds. As a result, we found one that works and I have been able to refuse all other Rx offers. Whether you see McMullen or not, remember that you are the best advocate for your health--research the various therapies that are available to you, read medical sites (rather than forums), and know that it is absolutely your right to say no and take you medical dollars elsewhere.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1320497].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 9, 2013

Dr. McMullen was excellent. He is very helpful with bipolar disorder and seems to really understand where I am coming from. He is sometimes running a little late, but is usually on time. I would highly recommend dr. McMullen for anyone suffering from bipolar disorder.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1320496].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 17, 2013

Dr.McMullen is the best doctor I have ever had! After 3 years of being misdiagnosed and numerous hospitalizations, he was able to diagnose me within the first 45 min session. He took his time explaining treatment options and I really felt like he cared. I consider myself very blessed to be able to be his patient.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1320495].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 14, 2013

Was referred by suicide line. He made room for me quickly as I was a walking dead man. Engaged me in a discussion, changed my meds,and had high frequency of appts at first. Turned me away from death's door. Has stuck with me, I am "a suicidal"(it is my life time companion) so guidance helps. He is tough on expectations and is confident about being able to help. For those that see arrogance, what do you want? A Dr that says that he MIGHT be able to help? You don't have to love your Dr., you have to be able to work with him/her. This guy cares and works hard not to show it too much as us bipolars are known to manipulate, just a tad.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1320494].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 8, 2013

he has a'god complex'. First app't he told me how very, very, lucky I was to get to see him, as he is the only bi-polar specialist in Calgary. Also very rude, abrupt, condescending. Was very depressed and he said 'well, I put you on a drug that causes depression'. Put me on quite abit of medication as well. Since I've left him, I've been hypo8-manic and life is worth living again....not to high and not to low....just the right level.....

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1320493].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 1, 2012

I was over medicated by Dr McMullen to point that I fell down my stairs. The hospital doctors alarmed at amount of medication I was on so they reduced everything. I am noticing here at postings that he promises everyone he will make them well so don't be fooled. Just because he specializes in Bipolar - does not mean that one is in fact Bipolar so that is very confusing. Dr McMullen made my situation much worse.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1320498].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 5, 2012

Dr. McMullen is rock solid. The comment about 'don't listen to the lone dissenter(s)' is valid. I've been his patient for several years now & although we've had a rough patch here & there (either situational or of MY own doing) we have maintained an excellent working relationship. He is not a touchy-feely guy, I find & doesn't suffer fools/disrespect but he truly cares - he's someone who really wants to help you get better. Being extremely Rx sensitive, he has let me drive my treatment, my way. He is always there when I need him with appointments and help. After many doctors I have so far proven treatment resistant & he has made it clear he plans to stand by me until I get better (at a point now when I think a lesser healer would give up & show me the door). Both his staff are wonderful, full stop. His practice also offers Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation for mood disorder treatment (et al) which is quite something to find in Alberta. If you need help, Dr. McM is the real deal. 100%.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1320492].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 20, 2012

Excellent doctor for bipolar illness, have been a patient for 14 years and have improved greatly.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1320491].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 17, 2012

Dr David McMullen was very quick to associate my problems with Bipolar NOS and push medication as a quick fix. Although I found him easy to talk to I was unimpressed by his BiPolar and medication friendly approach.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1320490].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 1, 2012

He is able to tell what's going on before I do and adjust accordingly.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1320489].votes_count ]]