Dr. James Edward Ted Massey Young

Rate Dr. James Edward Ted Massey Young

Dr. James Edward Ted Massey Young's Ratings

Dr. Young saved my life 33 years ago on June 10, 1980. I have been cancer free since that day. He and his staff guided my wife and I through the most difficult time of our young lives. He was outstanding before, during and after my operation ( front quarter amputation) for which we will be forever grateful. As a side bar Dr Young brought champagne and a cake for our 10th anniversary on June 19th -- this Wednesday will be our 43rd! We love you all.

Submitted June 18, 2013 | flag

Just like the previous poster, I too thought my life was at an end in March 2006 when I was diagnosed with esophogeal cancer which if you don't know is one of the deadliest cancers as far as survival rate goes. I will be coming up on my 5th year (May 11th) since my operation and so far so good. I was not impressed with the nursing staff in the ICU at St. Joes as I heard comments like gross and disgusting when some of them left a patient's room. I wonder if they would say the same sort of things if it was them or one of their loved ones recovering from cancer surgery. These patients didn't ask to be here. The operation was very invasive and the recovery long but Dr. Young saved my life so that I could watch my 3 daughters grow up to be a fine young ladies. Dr. Young (the West Wing) fanatic is a doctor who I would recommend to anyone who needs a thoratic specialist.

Submitted April 22, 2011 | flag

I just want to say once again; (I'm the guy who posted in 2007 that I have been cancer-free for 10 years); that I am still cancer free. I think about Dr. Young and Dr. Rice and Dr. Toma often and am still very thankful for their skillful attention to my oral cancer. Dr. Young always liked to call me Fred; although my name is Frank; because my last name sounds like Flintstone.I never corrected the great man because, what the heck, he's busy as hell saving lives. He saved mine and judging from the comments on this website; many others. If I won a lottery today; I would donate a million dollars to his hospital for research. A remarkable, caring surgeon.

Submitted Feb. 19, 2011 | flag

Dr. Young has been my surgeon for 16 years, performing several surgeries related to thyroid cancer. His skill as a surgeon can only be truly rated by another surgeon but I would, & have, entrusted him with my life. He is very personable & keeps both the patient & family well-informed of the patient's progress. A better surgeon you cannot find! He is often tardy with appointments but when you consider the schedule he keeps, only a superhuman would be on time all the time. He does give each patient all the time they need to feel comfortable with his recommendations & allay any fears they may have.

Submitted Aug. 13, 2010 | flag

I was sitting in the hospital after an unsuccessful surgery to remove a very large, cancerous tumour in my chest. I was told I had no hope of getting it removed. An hour later, Dr. Young walked in, told me he had been speaking with my oncologist all day and he wanted to try and remove it. I had pretty much given up all hope, as did the surgeon that already opened me up. I ended up going for surgery under Dr. Young a few months later, after I had recovered. He completely removed the tumour doing much less damage than anybody thought was possible. He came into the ICU constantly during my recovery to ensure I was doing well and explained repeatedly that I would recover fully despite other doctors saying otherwise. He was completely correct. I can't recommend him highly enough as a surgeon, he not only saved my life - but he saved it after he was told it couldn't be done.

Submitted Aug. 5, 2009 | flag

Dr. Young is a caring person. I totally disagree with last person. My family dr.has said he wouldn't want his line of work. The patients he deals with on a daily basis. As one dr. advised me he is my guardian angel. I sometimes thought he didn't take me seriously, but i guess that's just his demeanor. Hats off to this dr. I was so lucky to have been able to have him on my team.

Submitted May 14, 2009 | flag

Dr. Y. is clearly a good surgeon, my scar is minimal after my thyroidectomy, however, I did have extreme issues with my larynx after the surgery.I had trouble breathing post operatively and had extreme trouble speaking. He said I'd "be fine" and sent me home ~2 hours post opp. My calcium dropped through the floor,I had tingling hands and feet and palpitations. I took more calcium (on my own) because it was very difficult to get through to the office. I was told later my problems were in my head, had anxiety etc. This was after being told I shouldn't have had the surgery but prior to us getting the pathology report showing variant follicular papillary carcinoma! I had to fight to even get the surgery in the first place ("thyroid cancer won't kill me").Then They sent all of my personnel health info to another patient with the same name! My TSH levels are 16 (normal 1-5) and he is not concerned. I am now going to see an endocrinologist.Provides poor/abrupt post opp care. Terrible bedside.

Submitted May 6, 2009 | flag

Dr. Young was the only doctor in the city who would operate on me. I was told by other like thoracic surgeons that I would die from my disease. He said it would be a difficult operation but he would do it. To that, I owe him my life. His secretary contacted me with all the details and answered all of my questions and I had many. I owe him and his team (dr. rice) a my life quite honestly. I am a young man in my early 30's and have a good life ahead of me know thanks to Dr. Young. When all seems lost, please,please don't wait, call Dr. Young and get in to see him. He could save your life!

Submitted April 3, 2009 | flag

thank you dr. young for referring me to dr. trainor. she is a Gifted and Caring surgeon.the night before my surgery the phone call from dr. trainor meant so much to me and my recover. she saved my hands. the expert care i recieved at st. joseph's has cntributed to my recovery.thank you again.

Submitted March 30, 2009 | flag

Dr. Young treated me when I was only 16 and had to have my thyroid removed. He was very caring, professional and reassuring. I had no complications during the surgery and I have barely a scar left afterwards. I highly recommend him to anyone!

Submitted March 1, 2009 | flag