Rate Dr. Ian Hyams

Dr. Ian Hyams's Ratings

I was thrilled to be able to secure Dr. Hyams's services as my family doctor. I suffer from a complex chronic condition and, on paper, Dr. Hyams seemed to be the ideal person to help me deal with these symptoms. Unfortunately, my experience with Dr. Hyams and, particularly, his staff has not fulfilled my expectations or hopes. Here is a summary of my experiences: there has been no follow up of services and specialist referrals that Dr. Hyams himself recommended; routine annual physical exams have been rushed and incomplete; and follow up has been non- existent. Even more troubling is the near impossibility of getting an appointment. I have had to go to the office in person to get an appointment as it has been so difficult to do so by phone; I have been told to "go and have a coffee and come back in two hours" when the doctor's appointments were backed up (I could easily have been contacted by phone and the appointment changed); I have been told by his receptionist that I could only have an appointment if I promised to only take ten minutes and only discuss test results (it is not the purview of a receptionist to tell a patient what he or she may discuss with the physician) and, finally, I have been told that I cannot see the doctor for almost four weeks to discuss hospital test results that will potentially show a serious disease which may or may not require medication. Enough is enough. I would like very much to recommend Dr. Hyams as he appears to be a caring and thoughtful person, but based on my experiences with both his treatment and his staff I cannot.

Submitted Aug. 13, 2014 | flag

Fabulous doctor. He is attentive and has helped to create a programme that has significantly improved my CFS symptoms. He listens, is attentive and is up to date on all the newest treatments. I feel lucky and blessed to have found Dr Hyams.

Submitted Aug. 13, 2014 | flag

Unfortunately Dr Hyams has found himself a very useless MOA, his daughter has moved on. Perhaps being skilled in chronic pain, the personalities and emotions that go along with it might aid in her ability to communicate. Her understanding and helpfulness is disgusting. It is unfortunate that one must be faced with her upon every visit to the Doctor who is an amazing understanding and helpful individual, who aims to aid in the ability to cope with chronic pain.

Submitted July 3, 2014 | flag

Dr. Hyams is a high profile professional and impressively up to date on many health issues. He is so gracious and a great listener. He is constantly researching the best treatments for his patients. He is talented in applying his knowledge to each individual case. It is indeed extremely hard to find a doctor like him these days. When you walk in and out of his clinic you feel genuinely supported and cared for. I am very grateful he is my doctor now.

Submitted March 4, 2013 | flag

I have found Dr. Hyams to be a Godsend. He is very knowledgeable and caring and has gotten me out of a wheelchair and walking without any assistance and minimal pain. He also helped control my diabetes which was going out of control after I was taken off avandia due to serious side effects. I have found his staff to be helpfull and buiseness like. Yes there is a wait at times however the Dr. takes the time to ensure that his patient knows and understands what is being planed and prescribed and does not rush me in and out and I am sure he treats all his patients the same. As far as payment I do not have to pay anything and I am sure it all depends on a persons medical plan. I travel 300km to see Dr. Hyams and he always makes time for me.

Submitted Nov. 28, 2011 | flag

I am very pleased & impressed with Dr. Hyams who made the first forward progress in my fibro treatment ever. First off he believes us! 2ndly he approaches our issues on several fronts. I had never been diagnosed with a mineral deficiency prior to his testing & i have had tons of tests. In fact I have mostly been rejected by Drs. who say Fibro is not their field & as i have many other ailment i see them only for my other ailments. There was an initial & understandable fee that was MUCH LESS than I had been quoted from a "fibro" Dr. in Vancouver. I have had side effects with the new medications i am on but they are working so much better than ones i was using before that i am willing to build up gradually. My pain is reduced & my fatigue bouts greatly so!!! Its a very long drive for me from Van. so I only see him intermittently but i hope my next visit will result in him having filled out my Disability Tax Credit form! All the best in reducing YOUR pain. Dr. Hyams has really helped me.

Submitted Sept. 26, 2011 | flag

He is one of the smartest, most helpful and respectful doctors out there. He is a person aswell, try to remember that.

Submitted May 4, 2011 | flag

At first, Dr Hyams showed me a beautiful plan for my treatment and I got so excited about it, after been suffering almost 1.5 years with chronic pain after labour... then once I started swiping my credit card, my finances got broken, if the treatment worked I would not mind, but it didn't. His "specialists" and front staffs are rude, careless and treat you like they are doing you a favor. My appointments always got cancelled last minute. Most of the times I had to bring my child along and sit and wait forever, spent half day there doing nothing. Once I stopped paying for the "treatments" that were not helping, not making any difference and not getting the proper time I was paying for, seemed like I became not as important. The doctor himself is caring and gives your the time when you see him, BUT YOU NEVER GET TO SEE HIM enough. And what I did not like is that he described me over 10 different medicines at once, and made me and my stomach crazy sick!

Submitted May 2, 2011 | flag

I had a fine experience at this practice. Although I waited a long time to get an appointment, the scheduling went well, the staff were accommodating, and Dr Hyams is such a knowledgeable Dr. I was so impressed and excited to finally find a Dr who could help me move forward. I have waited a long time to find someone so caring, and so kind and compassionate.

Submitted Oct. 11, 2010 | flag

Dr Hyams is not very knowledgeable, and I think this fibro clinic maybe a gimic. He disagreed with my other specialists and couldn't offer me anything that I haven't already done. He sends you to the psyc nurse to make sure you're really convinced about his plans. I have had all my appts rescheduled last minute. I have only seen him twice but I won't be returning. All of his services cost money except trigger injections. Staff are rude, slow and not helpful at all. He only works at this clinic part time and has another practice. There are other options that are available if you research, you don't need to spend thousands at this clinic

Submitted Sept. 28, 2010 | flag