Rate Dr. Pieter Strauss

Dr. Pieter Strauss's Ratings

I first met Dr. Strauss the summer of 1970. I was almost 16 years old. I had been severely assaulted, my wounds had healed, and I was in need of a psychiatrist to deal with the trauma.

He rescued me, at a time when psychiatrists actually listened and took notes. He was so down to earth and truthful. It was refreshing and comforting being with him.
I have been misunderstood by doctors in the past, and to my surprise, I have the opportunity to have a visit with Dr. Strauss, 2 years ago as a psych patient in Abbotsford. I didn't recognize him at first, but felt that same kind approach I felt 42 years before.

He kindly recognized right away that I deal with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. It is a kinder diagnosis than I received from other doctors. I would love to be a patient of his but am told he doesn't take on any new patients, he is so busy.

He recognized that one of my problems in life, was my confidence. A teenaged girl is often thinking about how they look. Comparing myself to what I see on TV is not healthy. I should go to a crowded place and watch people. Most people are ordinary. For an ordinary person, I was lovely he said. He made so much sense to me, that I repeated those thoughts to my children as they grew.

He helped me understand myself, the assault, and my hospital experience. He helped me to understand that some of my memories, were me having an out of body experience.
He took me to a bathroom. A big room where bathing was done. He showed me a tub with a stretcher above it. He tells me, that it was when I shed a few tears, as they lowered me into the water, that I wanted to live. This provokes other memories that I had in the bathroom.

I remember going with him to look at my chart, I did not know that such good records were kept, I wanted to read them all. There were too many abbreviations and words that I would have to learn and he took upon himself the chore of summarizing my hospital stay in words I could understand. He was working on that, when I abruptly left the hospital without notice, or returning.

So sad, I was that I wasn’t going back to the hospital.
I write this so that I can in my heart, mind and soul…. thank him for all his fine efforts with me the Summer of 1970.

I thank him, for giving me a breathe of fresh air, the day he met with me 2 years ago. He got older, but he was still the same kind and understanding man I remember. If he reads this, I want him to know that I am remembering my hospital stay, and it’s not filled with fear and dread.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2673291].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 6, 2015

Not only did he cured me of this horrible, on going illness, he saved my life and I'm ever so grateful.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2667593].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 31, 2014

I am grateful to be one of dr. Strauss' patients. He is held in high esteem by his medical colleagues and by the people of his community. Over the years of his service to Abbotsford, he has become known for his keen mind, excellent diagnostic and management skills and he has become respected for the compassionate care of those patients who often are pushed aside or seen as weak by others. His ability to establish rapport and his intuition make very few people not love him. Thank you, dr. S!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2663235].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 25, 2014

I never believe everything I read and I definitely don't believe the comments left by those that gave Dr. Strauss a low rating. If I could give Dr. Strauss straight 5's I would but I can't because sometimes he's a bit late. But that's only because he is spending a bit of extra time with someone who needs a bit of extra time and I have no problem with that. In fact, he has spent extra time with me when I have needed it. He has also seen me when I haven't had an appointment. Once I was so upset I didn't know what to do so I went to his office (like he told me too) his receptionist was so kind she had me wait in the office until he could see me and he did see me ( just like he said he would) and he made me feel so much better.
Dr. Strauss is patient, respectful and SO kind to me even when I am not. I feel so fortunate that Dr. Strauss is my psychiatrist, I can't imagine seeing anyone else.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2610030].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 7, 2014

Caring and compassionate. This man is a gem in this medical system.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2600960].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 30, 2014

Dr Strauss is a wonderful doctor and a caring, compassionate person. He has brought me back from the edge of suicide, given me hope and continues to offer excellent sincere advice.
Every time I visit him he says something that helps me move forward. He is the best psychiatrist I have ever visited and I have seen many in the 30 years that I have suffered from depression.
He is a truly gifted psychiatrist and I thank God that he is my doctor.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2587387].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 21, 2014

Dr. Strauss has been my psychiatrist for the past eight years. He has taken me from a place of numbness and darkness to where I am today; working and in a great relationship. He has always supported me with his smart advice, great sense of humour and found just the exact med combination for me. If not for him, I would probably not be here.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2584754].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 20, 2014

Be careful! This doctor is incredibly vengeful. If you post reviews on here about Dr. Strauss and they are personal enough that he knows what patient posted them he will email your other doctors and tell them things like to never prescribe the patient anything again just to be vengeful. I guess he doesn't like reading the truth about himself on here. Well hey Peter; maybe you should change the way you act as a doctor and be more professional instead of getting back at the people who review your terrible behaviour. They have every right to review how you act. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2557021].votes_count ]]

Submitted Sept. 29, 2014

When I was in the hospital, he asked me what it tasted like to eat raw human flesh. When I told him that that was unprofessional, he had security drag me out of the hospital, and tell me that I was not allowed to come back. I was so disturbed and sickened by his question that I could not eat anything for 2 months. When I requested my medical records, I found that he had falsely accused me of several crimes. Previous to that, he cut off my sleeping meds cold turkey, and refused to re-prescribe them, even when me and my family begged him. I had terrible withdrawal symptoms. There is not enough room here to list all of the awful things he has done to me.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2540873].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 18, 2014

Discussed how a medication that I've been taking for over a year now is having terrible effects on my life and health. When asked if I could switch to something else he started going on about me being an addict and very not welcoming, very snappy, refused to discuss anything other than the medications I refuse to take because they make me sick or cause suicidal thoughts.
Wouldn’t book the next appointment since I didn't want to take anti-psychotics for social anxiety and panic attacks. (That’s not what anti-psychotics are for, but Dr. Strauss loves prescribing heavy duty medications for off label uses.)Even a sad look on my face he said looked like I was saying a big f you to him.. He talked very condescending and talked down to me and my girlfriend the whole time until we stormed out.

He has even discussed god before when I started to show signs of recovery, saying things like "God is doing this for you! He puts you through something like this so you can learn how to get better!"

I would never recommend Dr. Strauss to anyone. He seems very nice and caring at first but things can turn sour really quickly. He just prescribes HUGE amounts of medications and usually dangerous and powerful ones without the proper precautions. If you don't want to take something he takes it as you are not wanting to help yourself.

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][2509045].votes_count ]]