Rate Dr. Pieter Strauss

Dr. Pieter Strauss's Ratings

Dr Strauss is a wonderful doctor and a caring, compassionate person. He has brought me back from the edge of suicide, given me hope and continues to offer excellent sincere advice.
Every time I visit him he says something that helps me move forward. He is the best psychiatrist I have ever visited and I have seen many in the 30 years that I have suffered from depression.
He is a truly gifted psychiatrist and I thank God that he is my doctor.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2587387].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 21, 2014

Dr. Strauss has been my psychiatrist for the past eight years. He has taken me from a place of numbness and darkness to where I am today; working and in a great relationship. He has always supported me with his smart advice, great sense of humour and found just the exact med combination for me. If not for him, I would probably not be here.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2584754].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 20, 2014

Be careful! This doctor is incredibly vengeful. If you post reviews on here about Dr. Strauss and they are personal enough that he knows what patient posted them he will email your other doctors and tell them things like to never prescribe the patient anything again just to be vengeful. I guess he doesn't like reading the truth about himself on here. Well hey Peter; maybe you should change the way you act as a doctor and be more professional instead of getting back at the people who review your terrible behaviour. They have every right to review how you act. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2557021].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 29, 2014

When I was in the hospital, he asked me what it tasted like to eat raw human flesh. When I told him that that was unprofessional, he had security drag me out of the hospital, and tell me that I was not allowed to come back. I was so disturbed and sickened by his question that I could not eat anything for 2 months. When I requested my medical records, I found that he had falsely accused me of several crimes. Previous to that, he cut off my sleeping meds cold turkey, and refused to re-prescribe them, even when me and my family begged him. I had terrible withdrawal symptoms. There is not enough room here to list all of the awful things he has done to me.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2540873].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 18, 2014

Discussed how a medication that I've been taking for over a year now is having terrible effects on my life and health. When asked if I could switch to something else he started going on about me being an addict and very not welcoming, very snappy, refused to discuss anything other than the medications I refuse to take because they make me sick or cause suicidal thoughts.
Wouldn’t book the next appointment since I didn't want to take anti-psychotics for social anxiety and panic attacks. (That’s not what anti-psychotics are for, but Dr. Strauss loves prescribing heavy duty medications for off label uses.)Even a sad look on my face he said looked like I was saying a big f you to him.. He talked very condescending and talked down to me and my girlfriend the whole time until we stormed out.

He has even discussed god before when I started to show signs of recovery, saying things like "God is doing this for you! He puts you through something like this so you can learn how to get better!"

I would never recommend Dr. Strauss to anyone. He seems very nice and caring at first but things can turn sour really quickly. He just prescribes HUGE amounts of medications and usually dangerous and powerful ones without the proper precautions. If you don't want to take something he takes it as you are not wanting to help yourself.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2509045].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 22, 2014

I owe this man my life. It is not often you find competency and compassion in a psychiatrist. I have had 3 bouts of severe depression including the need for shock therapy. Dr.strauss in my darkest days gave me hope and kept me alive until I was well again.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2496954].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 14, 2014

I will forever be grateful to dr. Strauss. In my darkest times, he gave me hope and enabled me to get back on my feet. I felt respected and heard - especially when we had to change my meds and dosages. Without his vast knowledge, care, wisdom and common sense, I doubt it that I would be living the life I do now. I wish him the very best.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2448496].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 1, 2014

I am a 30 year old professional in the medical field and I've spent a lot of time with many doctors. Dr. Strauss has been my psychiatrist for the past few years and I can truly say that he is the paragon of psychiatry. He is nonjudgmental and sincerely compassionate, caring, humble, and has one of the brightest minds I know. I am so blessed to have found him and Abbotsford is beyond fortunate to have such an ideal mental health provider like him. He is held in high esteem by his colleagues and patients alike and it is easy to understand why.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2448495].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 29, 2014

My father visited Dr. Pieter Strauss after being placed in Abbotsford psychiatric ward, he prescribed high dangerous dosages of medication on different occasions, my father went from extreme highs to lows he then willingly called emergency to take him to Abbotsford hospital to Strauss where the hospital denied my father any assistance as Strauss was away on holidays in South Africa, the front counter turned my sick father AWAY and left him with no on call doctor, 1 day later after he had was offered no help or assistance from Strauss or the hospital he took his own life within 10 minutes from the hospital. Strauss denies any contact with my family and I to this day. Doctor Pieter Strauss deserves to have his license REVOKED. I don't know how he continues his poor practice each day knowing my father who was simply asking for help is now DEAD. The amount of pain he has caused my family along with others is horrific.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][1361017].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 20, 2014

I have a low opinion of him. In my case it was a family member and he did nothing but prescribe and re-prescribe, change it here and there. Spent little to no time actually talking to the person about their issues. Doing research on some of the prescriptions I was pretty amazed and I talked to pharmacists about the prescriptions to confirm what I read. He also has a habit of rescheduling appointments and given he books people out months in advance so he is very hard to see.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][1361013].votes_count ]]