Rate Dr. MARY Houlihan

Dr. MARY Houlihan's Ratings

I have heard that she is an excellent surgeon. To give her the benefit of the doubt, she may have had a bad day or have been in an exceptionally bad mood the day of my appointment. She was running extremely late and seemed rushed. When explaining things, she would snap or yell if you asked her a question. She also brought up worse case scenarios and when asked any questions about them, said that she didn't want to answer, as we hadn't gotten to that point yet. My main complaint is her bedside manner. Knowing that I had just found out days earlier that I had very early breast cancer, she seemed not at all concerned about how I felt, but continued to talk very quickly and bark out orders and finally abruptly left the room. I will not return. I have since found a doctor who is much calmer and more helpful. More importantly, I am always treated like a person.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2373152].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 24, 2014

Wonderful caring doctor. Very busy but once you get her attention she is the best

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][558526].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 21, 2012

Mary Jane Houlihan is a star. Her staff is attentive and although she is quite busy, she is there for the before, after and most important the surgery. She performed two surgeries on me and was careful, honest and compassionate which is only a bonus since surgeons do not need to be your best friend.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][558525].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 15, 2011

Simply the best. She was able to provide information compassionately, honestly. She does use patient site at BIDMC and answers her email via that site. I'd suggest her to anyone facing breast biopsy/surgery. She truly does care.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][558524].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 16, 2011

What a fabulous surgeon! She is very competent, she explains things well and she listens. Her job must be hard as she sees breast cancer every day, but she does not show it. She makes you feel like you are the only patient she is seeing. Her nurse practitioner, Christine Edgerton does the pre-op and post-op visits. She is really well-trained and has the best possible bedside manner. The combination is perfect if you are dealing with the emotional issue of breast surgery.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][558523].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 17, 2009

The best breast surgeon. Truly care about patients an their families. Not arrogant at all.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][558522].votes_count ]]