Dr. Devin Peterson

Rate Dr. Devin Peterson

Dr. Devin Peterson's Ratings

My 15 year old daughter was referred to Dr. Peterson for a labral tear. He assured us that he was the only one in the province doing repairs laprascopically. Turns out he needed 5 incisions, her hip was partially dislocated and woke up in considerable pain (naturally). She was totally non weight bearing for 6 weeks. The only post op we had was to check the incision and he got really exaperated because it took her too long to unclothe as she was in a lot of pain. He told me the operation was a complete success. She's now 19 and lives in more pain that she had initally and has had to give up virtually all her athletic endeavours. We did make a follow up appointment to express our concerns with the amount of pain and reduced range of motion but we were met with indiffence. Unfortunately my daughter suffers with chronic pain and cannot do many things she used to do and will likely only be pain free when the time comes for a total hip replacement. I would strongly not recommend!

Submitted Jan. 19, 2011 | flag

Referred to this doctor for an ACL repair on my child. Not personable but said he had extensive experience in this surgery. Day of surgery saw his resident not him. Peterson came to the waiting room where i waited during the surgery and asked me to sign a release form allowing him to use the harvested ligament for research. I asked him how my child was, he motioned for me to sign and left without answering. My daughter struggled coming out of the anasthetic and was seen by same resident who was incapable of answering basic questions. Later I asked Peterson who had performed the surgery and he became angry saying what did it matter it was on his watch. The same resident prescribed a discharge pain medication containing a substance my child was allergic to. This allergy was clearly documented. My daughter went into anaphylactic shock and almost died. Pertersons response was, the resident was crying and felt bad wasn`t that enough. This Doctor is not competent in my opinion.

Submitted Feb. 13, 2010 | flag

Doctor Peterson performed an ACL reconstruction on my leg a few years ago.I was 14 at the time and very frightened to be having such a daunting surgery performed on me. Doctor Peterson was extremely cold and rude to me, and then tried to forbid my mother from staying with me until I went under anesthesia even when I had started to hyperventilate from fright. After waking up from the surgery I had to wait several hours in considerable pain until he arrived and roughly prodded at the incisions, asking me "Does it hurt when I do this?" Of course it hurt! After I was released, I had an anaphylatic reaction to the pain medicine they gave me, and when my mother called them for help she was told that I "wasn't their problem". I was rushed to hospital and was informed later that I had been seconds away from death. I never got an apology and would not recommend going to this man for ANY reason.

Submitted Feb. 6, 2010 | flag

I love this Dr. I had foot surgery and he did an excellent job. I would recommend him to anyone. He gives you his full attention and answers all your questions. I enjoyed all my visits for the follow-ups.

Submitted May 12, 2009 | flag

14 year old son has torn ACL diagnosed by family doctor and MRI specialist at hospital. We had to travel into Hamilton to see this Dr and were not told that he had an office in the hospital and a sports injury clinic at the back. We went to hosp first and were sent to another building which was too far away for person with leg injury to walk. We were on time for appointment but had to fill in some paperwork. He saw every person in that waiting room and even took some walk in football players before we were seen.I had to ask the girl 4 hours later as we sat in empty waiting room when he would see us. His intern, who could hardly understand english spoke to us at length then Peterson spent 10 mins with us told me that my son had a "bone bruise" and it would go away in a year. Now a year later we're seeking another specialist as my son can hardly walk and is in extreme pain. A lady at work had the same problem with him. I would not recommend him to anyone.

Submitted March 24, 2009 | flag

I’m an Elite athlete with what appeared to be a running related injury. During my first appointment he inquired whether I had tried physio-I told him yes, several months of physio with little improvement. He told me I needed more physio from “his” office. I began attending physio with his therapists. After weeks of physio, I was told that my injury was not responding to physio. I then had a follow up appointment with Dr. Petersen, he told me I had arthritis in the hip and should “consider using a cane” He also said he would give me a referral to another orthopaedic surgeon. After waiting 4 months with no response from his office, I called and was told I should call the specialist myself and make the appointment- however in my experience this is not the proper protocol. I have since found an orthopaedic surgeon who seems to have much better manners and seems to genuinely care about his patients. I found Dr. Peterson arrogant and condescending. I would not recommend him to anyone.

Submitted Feb. 8, 2009 | flag

Dr Peterson fixed my son's leg. He was very caring and did a perfect job.

Submitted Sept. 9, 2008 | flag

Dr. Peterson performed on my son - hip dysplasia Great Work!

Submitted July 2, 2008 | flag

I was assigned Dr. Peterson in the ER of McMaster after a radial head fracture several years ago. Between Dr. Peterson and Melanie Stevens, a physiotherapist in the Sports Injury Clinic at Mac, I cannot imagine better care. Dr. Peterson did collaborative surgery with Dr. Scott Mandel on my elbow six months later and I have regained full mobility and extension. Dr. Peterson was always charming, extraordinarily knowledgeable, and very clear about procedure. I am indebted to him and count my good fortune.

Submitted June 26, 2008 | flag

THE WORLD'S BEST DOCTOR!!!!! I went to him for back surgery. Have had very many appointments with him. Is occasionally late - what do you expect? HES A DOCTOR WITH LIVES TO SAVE!!! Frankly, I would hate him if he valued my time more than the lives of others. Obviously. He always smiles, is genuine, kind. The appointment before my surgery was in his actual office with no time limit whatsoever so myself and my parents could address any and all concerns (of course there were many - it was back surgery!!). I would definitely recommend him to any and everyone. He is a genius with a warm heart. Don't be offended when an intern talks to you before him - they are there to learn!!! McMaster is a university as well as a hospital. All in all, fabulous doctor.

Submitted May 26, 2008 | flag