Dr. Walter Maksymowych

5 1 4.0

You may also like

Rate Dr. Walter Maksymowych

Dr. Walter Maksymowych's Ratings

I'm glad some of found him helpful. For me it was the opposite (in 2005 or 6). My AS hadn't been diagnosed and my hip/low back area was in a lot of pain. So much so that if I "moved wrong' I'd scream. I mainly saw a student and he treated me like I was crazy till the point that I was crying. Maksymowych didn't seem to care and told me to loose weight and then my hips wouldn't hurt so much. He just flopped my legs around for the student and left. It took going to a different Rheumatolotist to find out I have AS, get treated and then I was able to loose weight as I was able to walk a lot better not being in so much pain. I wasn't even obese before; just a bit over weight. I went to an AS info session at the UofA but I couldn't bare to attend the section in which he was there. When I came back people were asking questions to the hosts to explain what he said as he just came in, gave a bunch of technical jargon and left. I went to an info session for a large group regarding the latest research and he was one of the presenters. Me and my husband got to see him be very condescending to the audience by repeating that the science would be just a bunch of alphabet soup to us. That may be true but why emphasize that? To me he should stay in the lab and away from patients.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2843072].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 19, 2015

To the people saying he's an awful doctor- you're wrong. I only 24 years old and have already been suffering with ankylosing spondylitis for 6 years, but have only JUST started on Humira. The reason for this is non-conservative treatments (ie. medications outside of staying fit/healthy & anti-inflammatories) are very hard on your body. He wanted to make sure all of the bases were covered before resorting to that, and guess what? I went 6 years with minimal pain, which in the long-run with this disease is basically inevitable. Then at my next appointment I had described worsening pain he got me an MRI & when my MRI depicted spinal erosion as compared to my formally "pristine" lower back he got my started on further medication. Great doctor, people saying he's awful need to understand how busy he is and with that into consideration he is a very involved & genuinely concerned doctor.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2818046].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 26, 2015

I have gone through 5 years of pain. I waited for an appointment with Dr. M that took a long time to get into. I had been previously diagnosed with Ankolosing Spondylitis and put on a medication that really improved the pain and my mobility. He disregarded all my previous attempts to lesson the pain and test results(2 months old) and prescribed 6-9 months of physio therapy . How do you do that to a person in so much pain. He did a clinical test with my legs but did not address me face to face. He was more interested in instructing his intern on proper terminology. Thumbs down to this dude. Going to Mexico!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2768530].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 7, 2015

I have had nothing but outstanding care and treatment since becoming a patient of Dr.Maksymowych more than 10 years ago

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2731668].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 23, 2015

One of the most independant and progressive rheumatologists that I can think of

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1372004].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 5, 2010

Dr. Maksymowych is in my opinion a knowledgable professional doctor. no worries here.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1372003].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 29, 2009

Dr. Maksymowiych is the best in his field. Very knowlegable, very carrying. Always willing to take the appropriate required time. Dr. Maksymowiych gave me my life back in resolving a along standing arthritic issue. There is not a doctor in Alberta that I would trust more.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1372002].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 14, 2009

I went in very knowledgable about my own condition. Dr. Maksymowych is a world renowned researcher and his main drawback was he tried to 'fit' me into one of the studies...which I did not fit any of the inclusion criteria. I left feeling completely frustrated.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1372001].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 21, 2008

I found this doctor very caring and compassionate, when I called him about my mother not improving he got her in right away and is starting her on a additional treatment, also is monitoring her progress, he is very knowledgeable and explains everything he is doing so a person can understand

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1372000].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 5, 2008

He is very knowledgable, but is sometimes too abrupt.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1371999].votes_count ]]